• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Proclimb BD Turbo Build

S
Jan 20, 2009
Here is my 2016 turbo build. Had my first ride out with it on 11/28/15.

Started life as a 2016 162 Pro Climb 800 Limited (3 inch track). I found a used 2013 Boondocker 2860 NON TIAL intercooled kit on Snowest and installed it. Only difference for 2016 is the clutching for the new Team clutches.

I ended up buying Cutlers adjustable weights, I think they are the IT version. 75 grams empty. Dale sold me some prototype weights with dual barrels. The tips have to be loaded by pulling the weights out and the main part of the body can still be loaded from the heal of the weight just like his traditional weights. the main body cavity stops 1/2 inch form the end of the weight. There is a lot of adjustment variables in this weight! The other nice thing is you don't have to buy a spring or secondary components. I am running the stock components with Cutler weights.

I did not like the look of the Boondocker intercooler intake so I used a 4 stroke hood and modified a stock 4 stroke grille to fit around the fan. I installed Frogskin on the front vent to keep some snow out. I then proceeded to do a headlight delete. I got a hold of Alan at 2Coolvents to custom make a vent for me that would incorporate a snorkel intake. He has all to info to make more. I hated the chop job Boondocker has you do on the under hood parts. The vent has a fine and course layer of mesh on it. Boondocker hooked me up with the snorkel parts. I simply made two 90 degree brackets to hold the windshield to the hood using the rear two holes of the windshield.

I installed an 09 head in place of the HO stock head and left out the E timing key from the kit. I wanted to compare the fuel requirement to my 09 TM8. I mix 1 gallon of TT111 to 4 gallons of Premium.

I installed BDX oil injection delete. Running 32:1 Injex TC-W3. Say what you want about it! It meets Jaso FB requirements and I put almost 6000 miles on my 09 TM8 running it. I changed the pistons out once on that motor at about 3000 miles. From my reading Jaso FC and FD requirements excel in cleaning deposits and smoke reduction not lubrication/wear.

I used Kevin at K-mods gauge holder and modified my chassis harness to plug right into the gauge instead of using the hood harness wiring. I gave Kevin all the info on how I did it.

I used One stops dual gauge holder and cut the right side of the gauge holder off.

I had next stage gauges flash my gauge so I could monitor engine temp.

I installed an LED light from Rigid industries on the K-mod gauge holder.

I powered my Innovate O2 gauge and headlight from a 1-3 adapter from Boondocker. This hooks into the power connector adapter they give you in the kit and gives you 3 outlet connectors to power the Fan headlight and O2 gauge. NOTE there is not enough power on this circuit to power everything at once so I left the headlight unplugged and will unplug the fan in order to run the headlight. I figured if I needed the headlight I would be able to get out without the intercooler fan.

So how did the first ride go?

I added the longest screw to the body to keep the RPM's in check. I was running well over 8500 empty. This brought me to 8-8100. I like to overload and then lighten up to get the RPM's where they need to be. I will be removing the long screw and playing with lighter screws to fine tune the RPM's.

Fuel controller, couldn't be happier. Was a touch rich at 11.8 AFR wide open. Absolutely no bogs/detonation using the stock numbers. Boost controller, still need to figure out what is going on. I have a 4 psi actuator but I was seeing 6.8 lbs with the built in boost controller set at 3.6 lbs.

Air temps showed no higher than 80 degrees with some pretty long pulls back to back.

Tail walking!!! I can't keep the front end down. Looking at the Skinz ARC controller. I don't want to add more air to the rear shock as it will stiffen up an already stiff suspension for me (170 lbs). I have a friend running one and he loves it.

7 tooth drivers seem to be way too low geared for a turbo application. Looking at putting 8 tooth drivers back in with the 19/50 gearing. Yes the 8 tooth will fit with the 3 inch track. you have to bend the paddles over to get the drivers in but the tunnel clearance still looks good when installed.

Comparing my 09 to 16. The 09 had an EZ Ryde suspension and stayed on the ground running 8-10 psi. Seemed to pull harder than this 16 but this is the first ride out. I am hopeful with some 8 tooth drivers and clutching dialed in it will pull harder. The gearing ratio is pretty close to the 09 with the 8 tooth drivers. I will be very interested to see what the ARC control does with the transferring problem. Detonation resistance seems to be similar with the 09 head. Very happy with that! My 13 PC Boondocker kit running the HO head and E key still had Detonation problems at 6 psi and the same fuel mix and AFR.

I will try and update this as I continue to ride.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I've seen problems with gauge flashes causing running issues

When you start the sled, wait tell the gauge settles then push and hold the left two buttons, after about 10secs the trip/odo will change to give readings. toggle with the same buttons you held to get to #3 that will give you the temp. No need for a flash

S
Jan 20, 2009
Update

As far as I knew you had to do that procedure every time you shut off the machine to get to the engine temp screen. Is this correct? I had no running issues the first day out with the re flash. I also love all the options it gives you. You can designate each of the three sections of the gauge to display what ever you want.

Installed the Skinz ARC control and waiting for more snow to go try it out.

Found the issue with the boost controller. I actually have a 6 PSI actuator on it. The 4 PSI actuator is on my 2871 billet wheel turbo sitting in a box. I am going to try swapping them after a couple of rides to see the difference running the same boost pressure. I am hoping for lower temps and some additional performance. We will see.

Premium Features