• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power to Weight Ratio: Four Stoke vs. Two Stroke

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
For me, being a lighter rider... yanking around a heavier sled with more HP tires me out earlier than a lighter sled.

Even if you can ride the heavier more powerful sled in the same places as the lighter less powerful sled...
you are doing it at a faster speed, using more body energy...and sometimes I just don't have enough weight,
courage or "lead in my pencil" to do that. More advanced, larger riders would not feel this as much as me.

For reliability... I look at a sled as a piece of "race equipment"... my sleds get regular maintenance and they get a new
top end when the hours require it. For me it's the cost of ownership... and I do it in the off season between winters and
I've had very good luck with this method... and the cost/time justify me in knowing that I have something that I can rely on.
The cost to me over the life of the sled is still less than the cost of an OEM turbo add-on.

If you are looking for Toyota-reliability... then absolutely, the Yamaha will outshine any 2s sled.

And again... I LIKE the new Yami and feel 4S engines are the way of the future...
although there are some interesting new 2s clean designs being worked on.

All this being said, I DO realize that I'm posting in the Yamaha section... And I have respect admiration for my Yamaha Brethren!

Ride what ya got and have fun!

Last edited:
C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
I guess I'll be the guinea pig and not run a turbo.

One of my favourite sleds ever was my 1996 ZR440 and it was 490 lbs dry with 97hp. Here I was thinking that another 25 lbs and 35hp wasn't bad......lol. And I now have e start reverse long track deep lugs BNG etc

Maybe I wasn't having fun then and I needed a Poo? But then the ZR440 would take an absolute beating......

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I guess I'll be the guinea pig and not run a turbo.
And the great thing is this, you CAN upgrade easily at any point.
Ride that sucker for a season and if you decide you want MORE, then just bolt on a turbo and keep on riding!

I had a blast riding my Nytro for 2 seasons before I boosted it.
Now of course I am a full on addict and want MORE boost!

Boost1.jpg

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
And the great thing is this, you CAN upgrade easily at any point.
Ride that sucker for a season and if you decide you want MORE, then just bolt on a turbo and keep on riding!

I had a blast riding my Nytro for 2 seasons before I boosted it.
Now of course I am a full on addict and want MORE boost!

Boost1.jpg

As if I need more encouragement. Lol

I
Nov 26, 2007
What I seem to recall is that when I got stuck on my Nytro I had to move some snow from in front of it, and then have one of my riding partners give a tug on the front ski and away we go??

I apologize for this slight derailment but I thought this one was pretty good.

You once got stuck so badly on a trail that you called 911. I mean sure, search and rescue moved some snow and pulled a ski and got it out, but I feel maybe you're understating things a bit.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-214559.html

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I apologize for this slight derailment but I thought this one was pretty good.

You once got stuck so badly on a trail that you called 911. I mean sure, search and rescue moved some snow and pulled a ski and got it out, but I feel maybe you're understating things a bit.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-214559.html

Yup.
I most certainly did.
First year of riding.
Caught in a freaking blizzard.
Didn't know what I was doing, was riding with two teenagers.
Had no idea how to extract that sled.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
So if I keep the XTX all motor and put a header and can on it with a flash, I can probably see 160hp right?

Then with the header and can I drop say 15lbs. Add a lightweight battery, carbon tank and hood as well as dropping 10 or so more lbs on various bits, I'm at 445 lbs or so with electric start and reliable. Hmmmm.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Yup.
I most certainly did.
First year of riding.
Caught in a freaking blizzard.
Didn't know what I was doing, was riding with two teenagers.
Had no idea how to extract that sled.

Ya know Christopher, I suspect you would have had a similar outcome if you had been riding a Pro, XP or M.

I have always thought that the skill of the rider is way more important than the sled he rides. Most sleds are far more capable than the rider. And to say that the Pro is the best sled because Burandt rides one is ludicrous. That guy is an amazing rider and would be amazing on any sled. He can probably ride a Skandic better than I could ride a boosted 15 Pro. And I suspect the same could be said of most of you reading this.

Is Chris Brown a better rider now that Polaris sponsors him? I doubt it. Actually, I doubt he will be able to pull the chutes that he used to pull on a Yamaha now that he's on a Polaris. If he is able to, he won't do it very many times before it grenades.

Maybe the Yammi riders are just that much better riders. If we're able to go the same places that the Pro riders go with a sled that performs so poorly, we must be supermen.

It must be a case of the Yammi riders just being that much better than icr and Ouraysledder or whatever the ****k he calls himself this month.

If we were on Pros, we Yammi riders could could pull those lines in reverse.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It was a learning experience that left a mark on me.
Not likely to ever repeat that mistake again.

I can honestly say, that if I was in the exact same situation today, the outcome would have been radically different.

I simply didn't know how much I didn't know.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Maybe,,, if we put in required weight classes, like boxing, into sleddin comparisons or vids, we can get away from these endless comparisons-debates of two completely different approaches to sleddin on a mountain.

Christopher, maybe you could start another forum sorta like the WWWF channel where huffing and puffing, pomp and flash with a final "in your face" interview is actually the name of the game lol.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Maybe,,, if we put in required weight classes, like boxing, into sleddin comparisons or vids, we can get away from these endless comparisons-debates of two completely different approaches to sleddin on a mountain.

Christopher, maybe you could start another forum sorta like the WWWF channel where huffing and puffing, pomp and flash with a final "in your face" interview is actually the name of the game lol.

Oh Ya.
I can see it now....

Premium Features