• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Keep an eye on your clutch

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Keep an eye on your clutch adjustment, especially cable operated ones (Yamaha etc..)

I blew up my yamaha 2016 yz 450 fx last weekend. My clutch came apart and plugged the screen leading to my oil pump. Long story short and best guess is that the clutch cable got tight and I did not notice. The clutch began to slip but I didn't realize it (no noticeable loss of performance). Once I did notice something wrong it was too late, We adjusted clutch cable but the damage was already done. I was in a deep hole and had no choice but to drive the bike out. Things seemed ok but then the Topend seized. Turns out the pre pump screen was plugged with clutch debris and thus the pump could not pump oil and lack of lubrication took out the cams and piston / cylinder. Harsh lesson for me don't let it happen to you! Always watch and be aware of clutch free play don't ever let free play go to zero!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Keep an eye on your clutch adjustment, especially cable operated ones (Yamaha etc..)

I blew up my yamaha 2016 yz 450 fx last weekend. My clutch came apart and plugged the screen leading to my oil pump. Long story short and best guess is that the clutch cable got tight and I did not notice. The clutch began to slip but I didn't realize it (no noticeable loss of performance). Once I did notice something wrong it was too late, We adjusted clutch cable but the damage was already done. I was in a deep hole and had no choice but to drive the bike out. Things seemed ok but then the Topend seized. Turns out the pre pump screen was plugged with clutch debris and thus the pump could not pump oil and lack of lubrication took out the cams and piston / cylinder. Harsh lesson for me don't let it happen to you! Always watch and be aware of clutch free play don't ever let free play go to zero!
stock clutch frictions?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Stock clutch? I had an issue last year on a yz250fx a gasket went through the oil and plugged up the engine passages .. that was a rekluse though and they found it was a malfunctioning wrong gasket they shipped ..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
stock clutch frictions?

Yes stock clutch, best I can figure heat or just wear, I never really adjusted it but I've been snowbiking for 5 years now and had a ton of bikes, this snuck up on me. Oil is always fresh and it was not lack of oil.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
That sucks

When that engine is apart you have to really clean all passages
.. even after a tear down on mine... There were spots that we're not accessible to clean... So I still was cleaning the engine filter the first two oil changes with the new top end

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Yeah it might be a lost cause, a whole used motor is about the same than all parts needed to fix, and there's always the chance of a clogged passage causing new parts to become scrap, as of now I'm back on the 2 stroke train! Haha bought back my ol yz 250! Anyway just a public service announcement don't let cur clutch kill your engine!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Haaaaa... Did the same it was a nightmare.. so the bike up bike is now a yz250;)

M
Jan 14, 2004
Same thing happened to Summitboy last season. We were out riding and all was fine, no issues then half hour later his YZ clutch is slipping. He caught it in time so only the clutch needed replacing. After 2 complete rebuilds on my 520 KTM I got turned off the 4 stroke thing for snow biking and spent the last three seasons on the CR500. I went back to the dark side this season only because you can buy a low hour 2010-2013 YZ for the same money as a complete KTM rebuild so I figured WTF basically they are disposable. I can't bring myself to part with the 500 yet though. My kid loves it.

M5

Premium Features