• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Minnesota Group Buy on New Cats - Exploring the idea

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
After thinking about this for a few days, I am not going to do this group buy thing.........

Besides, I just ordered my 2012 PC 50th anniv. turbo..........

I am forbidden to publish any pricing, but I can say that it was a very, very good deal.........

And the dealer was exstatic as well by the way.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
anyone else still interested?

I would still be a willing to put something together if you guys the were up for it.

for those of you who have any issue about being loyal to your dealer, here are 2 things to keep in mind.

- some guys like myself, don't have a " local dealer". the closest dealer to me is at least 40 miles away. they are a very small dealer and they are only open very limited hours. the only dealers I have relationships with are the ones I talk to when I am shopping for a sled. so I end up doing all the work on my side myself anyway. I order my parts from freeagent and get them shipped to my door for cheaper then I could drive and get them.

-Some of you may have plenty of $$$ in the sled budget, but I know that I am usually stretching my wallet to upgrade to the next sled. this combined with the fact that I have no dealer close by, means that the almighty dollar wins. I would rather work a little bit to find a good deal and the able to get a new sled then just go to whoever is closest and not to be able to afford it.

jmo

sam

pm me if ur interested in the group by thing.

B

benny7cfan

Sep 11, 2009
MN
I explain with a scenario that played out yesterday.......

One of the products we sell is Sea Doo Watercraft.
I received a call from a potential customer that is over 100 miles from our dealership. He wanted 2 Sea Doo's.
Prior to giving a price I called the dealer who is 10 miles away & told him the story.
Of course I ended up shooting a price for him, but I will not low ball 2 units in a fellow dealers back yard.
I think of it as "Professional Courtesy".

So in all honesty, I would suggest you buy from your local dealers unless they've done something to drive you away.

We as snowmobilers have a reputation of being cheap bastages.
This thread is proof that reputation is deserved.

I apologize that this comes across as somewhat of an attack, but I feel passionate about this.

Your local dealer supports your local club, return the favor, it's good for snowmobiling in general.

I would be careful about posting something like this. This could be considered price fixing by definition and could result in a lawsuit.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I would be careful about posting something like this. This could be considered price fixing by definition and could result in a lawsuit.

Negative.
No numbers were talked about whatsoever.
Basically just a courtesy to him so "if" they do happen to buy from me, my fellow dealer knew how it all went down.
I believe he would do the same courtesy for me.

K

klasstruckin

Jan 22, 2011
I understand where both sides are coming from but being from ND right now with this oil boom and some good years for our farmers. All of our dealers are trying to strike oil with every sale. My closest dealer quoted me a decent price, but told me that cat was forcing 4 strokes on him at the rate of 50/50 for short tracks and 70/30 for pro climbs, therefore he was gonna overcharge for 800 to be able to afford to dump 4 strokes. Makes sense right???? Well there are dealers that are offering 800's for almost 1000.00 less and as much as I want to buy local I wont pay premium price to fix cats epa issues that they seem to always dump on their dealers.....so i will buy bone stock sled at right price then come home and dress it up through my dealer...win/win in my mind. Also cat is still blackmailing its dealers into overordering and the ones that are forced to load up their inventory need to move more sleds than the smaller local guy that isnt forced into buisness suicide by Cat!!!!!!!!

K

KG

Oct 12, 2009
I understand where both sides are coming from but being from ND right now with this oil boom and some good years for our farmers. All of our dealers are trying to strike oil with every sale. My closest dealer quoted me a decent price, but told me that cat was forcing 4 strokes on him at the rate of 50/50 for short tracks and 70/30 for pro climbs, therefore he was gonna overcharge for 800 to be able to afford to dump 4 strokes. Makes sense right???? Well there are dealers that are offering 800's for almost 1000.00 less and as much as I want to buy local I wont pay premium price to fix cats epa issues that they seem to always dump on their dealers.....so i will buy bone stock sled at right price then come home and dress it up through my dealer...win/win in my mind. Also cat is still blackmailing its dealers into overordering and the ones that are forced to load up their inventory need to move more sleds than the smaller local guy that isnt forced into buisness suicide by Cat!!!!!!!!

Yeah don't like the idea of them forcing sleds on dealers but seems to be Arctic Cat has always done that with carryovers sitting all over the place. Some places still had new 07 m1000s this year. The resale in Cat goes to show from the way they do things.

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
Some dealers want to ride the parts and service gravy train and not order any more sleds than they already have sold. This keeps their area locked up and doesn't allow an ambitious business owner who would otherwise want to stock and move units from being able to get a franchise. Been like that around here for awhile, we finally have a new dealer close to us that has been with polaris for awhile, now they sell cat too. I am giving them first crack at my business this year even though I have a 4 brands dealer that has taken good care of me all along, they are just farther away and in a different state. If the new dealer is ambitious and wants my business I am willing to give it to them. If they have the attitude that some old timer cat shops in this area have of "I am the only guy in this area, buy it from me for full price or pound sand"...they will not get my business.

Cat needs to be able to estimate how many sleds they are going to build so they can get their parts orders together and build enough sleds to keep their cost estimates correct. Also they may need to satisfy a fleet emissions standard for the EPA but I know nothing about that. That means imposing minimums and forcing dealers to take sleds. Shouldn't be a problem if you dealer actually cares about selling sleds. The dealers who have a problem with it are the lazy ones who don't want to sell or don't know how.

Would be nice if you want to buy a sled in december and they could just crap one out of thin air but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Any dealer sitting on a 07 carryover either bought it recently from a dealer liquidation (or cat salvage) or they don't know how to market sleds. You can't ask new retail three years after it was made, the price has to follow the market. Their penalty for not being able to sell is taking a loss.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Anyone interested???

I got some prices today....

$10916 - 800 162 snopro
$12244 - 1100t 162 sno pro
$12410 - 1100t 162 ltd

if we can get 5 or more, we can trade in the $500 cat cash for an additional $500 off the sled, normally they offer $250 off the sled if you give up the cat cash.

pm me with your phone/email if interested. This is west metro, mn.

Premium Features