• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Garage Thread

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Sweet! wish i was workin with a new building. Tryin to remodel mine and its been nothing but fixing everything that was done incorrectly. Sure fun having a shop to work on/in though!

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
That spray foam is nice (that's what I'm seeing right?) No insulation voids to allow air infiltration. Of course ventilating a shop that's air tight like that is a must.
My first house had stacked rubble foundation. Was a damp creepy basement. I spray foamed the walls. It stabilized them and with some new lighting, it was a basement that you'd think about finishing off.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Looks good Richard! ;) Wheres the gold safe goin?

Im teasin, just jealous! I had to scab in 2" foam board insulation in my shop, thats been like 4 years work in progress. But i did manage to score it for free! 2 layers worth!

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
What type of heat source are you going with Mafesto? I don't see in flue pipe or gas lines near the ceiling. Is it going to be a mobile heater of some kind? Just having the walls insulated makes a big difference when its cold outside. Looks like it will be a great shop space once its finished out.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Not planning any electricity for a few years, so for now just a simple propane heater.
Will keep snowmobile and tractor with snowblower in there, and keep them thawed out.
Generator will provide lights and power when needed.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Dang cha ching on the foam!! Looks great though, a lot more even and consistent than mine.

You gotta get power in there, should only take a weekend and like six hundred bux

Last edited:
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Weve got a pole style building on the farm i work at, very similar to this. Quite larger tho. Walls are closed cell spray foam, and ceiling is open cell spray foam.

Its heated with a very small reznor type heater in one corner, at the wall/ceiling mount height. Its runs very little and maintains heat very well! http://www.mrheater.com/big-maxx-natural-gas-unit-heater-1193.html Very similar to that, maybe a bit larger, and a diffrent brand i know.

My old man has run that 80k mr heater i linked, in his 24x24 garage for two years and its been awesome. Idle it at 40* but itll warm it up to 75* in about 5 mins EASILY.

For $420-$450 range, id get one and try it! Converts to NG or LP Initially run it on a 100# LP cylinder maybe?

Edit: FYI, you wont want lots of diesel or kerosene fumes from torpedo type heaters eating away at the foam. They can degrade the foam insulation. You'd prob never notice, but it can supposedly do just that.

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm running a 35,000 btu radiant Mr Heater. Requires no electricity.

Thanks for the diesel fume tip, I didn't realize that.

XtDoo

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Pearl City Illinois
Be careful, a ventless heater will cause interior corrosion on interior wall steel and interior stuff you put in there. My HVAC company i use was just telling me about someones collector car that is all rusted because of a ventless heater. Puts acids in the air, he said

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
What type of heat source are you going with Mafesto? I don't see in flue pipe or gas lines near the ceiling. Is it going to be a mobile heater of some kind? Just having the walls insulated makes a big difference when its cold outside. Looks like it will be a great shop space once its finished out.

Heat functional, if memory serves me it's 60,000 btu.

DSC_0436.jpg

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
You need a celing fan to get that heat down to the ground now.

Remember, we have this whole "no electricity" thing going on.
With the spray foam insulation and trying to only keep it around 40 degrees, I don't think that I'm losing too much though the ceiling..

Premium Features