• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 build YZ450F

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
After last season the 2015 Yamaha YZ450F has become my new favorite out of the box of bike. This decision is coming easy after the performance was proven last season. At the Big Dog event the top bike in the stock class was a Yamaha YZ450F, ridden for the very first time by a new rider that had never even been on this bike. In the turbo class the YZ450F also came out on top. After a full season of riding these bikes, I personally chose the 2015 YZ450F.

Instead of buying a new 2016 Yamaha YZ450F I decided this years build would be a makeover of the 2015 YZ450F that I used last year. So let's start:

First of all let's make sure the bike is healthy:
Compression check, within spec.
Leak down test within spec.
Check valve clearance within spec.

This is all on a 62 hour bike, only used on snow. I love Yamaha's!!!!! Nothing to fix, nothing to repair, after full season of hard riding.

All new plastics so she looks good and doesn't show all of the trees that were wronged by her last season.

Most of the accessories that I installed last year are staying. They are all winners, except for the intake mods. I still had snow choke, in super deep champlain powder. Here's the laundry list:

ProMoto Billet / Fastway:
Fit 1 Handel bar bark busters
Handlebar risers
Adventure foot pegs w/ F6 cleats

Cyclopes 310 light

AME heated grips

Thermo-Bob

Custom .58 Factory Connection fork springs

Bazzaz fuel controller with auto tune

Seat Concepts seat

Yamaha GYTR accessories:
Radiator braces
Exhaust

Photo of bike from last season with a 2015 SX137:

1363450fe30ea6ec88208412a18b51fe.jpg

http://www.snowest.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=49251&dateline=1414063337
Toby Till
Timbersled Regional Sales Rep, Henderson, Co. Ph: 720-263-7533. Email: toby@timbersledofcolorado.com
2015 Yamaha YZ450F KMS Turbo TS ST121, 2015 Yamaha YZ450F TS SX LT137, 2014 Yamaha WR450F TS LT 137, 2014 Yamaha WR450F TS ST 121, 2009 Husaberg FE570 KMS turbo TS LT137, 2010 Husaberg FX660 TS LT137

Last edited:
E

epicloop

Mar 21, 2011
2016 yz450fx

I love that Yamaha durability, I think they look great too. Nice setup you have there.
On a side note sounds like Yamaha is coming out with a YZ450FX very shortly, I stumbled across info on thumpertalk.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
more details please!

Toby, what intake improvements are you planning on and what did you try last year? Is NOISE an issue with these Yami bikes and intake mods??

What/where/when/who -- regarding 2016 yzf450fx bike? I've heard rumors for years, is it just a ghost? Will Bigfoot really appear? Thanks!

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Toby, what intake improvements are you planning on and what did you try last year? Is NOISE an issue with these Yami bikes and intake mods??

What/where/when/who -- regarding 2016 yzf450fx bike? I've heard rumors for years, is it just a ghost? Will Bigfoot really appear? Thanks!

Here is the 4 Hour Intake job I did last year and was so proud of, but it did not work:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

All of this sealing and it still snow choked once on me.

I do not feel that they are loud. It does not bother me a bit.

I have designed a pod filter set up that I will be using under the stock air box lid for this season. Witch should be even quieter. I tested this set up on a 70deg. Berg last season that has the same style of air box as the YZ. It worked so well in the SUPER DEEP!!!!!

You can run this pod filter on a 2010 and up and you do not have to cut or permanently mod any plastic or air box. You just remove it for the winter and put in the pod set up.

I have them for sale for $110.

picture.php

You just remove the cage and lower rubber air box and install the pod set up.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As far as the YZ450FX I have heard of this Unicorn, but I have not seen it. This is the reason I am remaking the 2015. It is very similar to the 2016 and in great shape. I will buy an entire fleet of YZ450FX's when I can!!!!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
As far as the YZ450FX I have heard of this Unicorn, but I have not seen it. This is the reason I am remaking the 2015. It is very similar to the 2016 and in great shape. I will buy an entire fleet of YZ450FX's when I can!!!!!!

I almost don't want them to release it because then my '14s which I am so stoked to have setup for snow will lame and I will have to go get a new X!

And the pulling of the intake boot and doing a pod under the pastic is the perfect method. Keeps noise in check and also is snow-proof, and no hacking up stock stuff!!

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.

sullcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2009
SX looks really good, I'm assuming that it got the lightweight sprocket and chains upgraded as well?

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Haha yeah, I'm wondering where my sx and TSS is as well.

Bike looks great.

They are coming. November is getting close. I do not even get to keep this TSS. It is Allen's personal unit and I have to take it off and send it back after the Denver Snow Show.:face-icon-small-fro

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Last edited:
S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
They are coming. November is getting close. I do not even get to keep this TSS. It is Allen's personal unit and I have to take it off and send it back after the Denver Snow Show.:face-icon-small-fro

My dealer actually just left me a voicemail saying he would have my fit kit middle of next month, so I assume that means october haha.

Hey at least you get to borrow it to display it.

sullcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for the pic of the drive, good looking build....
I'm still waiting for mine... Soon....

D

dieselpower

Dec 12, 2008
Bellingham, Wa
TSS

Maybe I'm missing it but the TSS advantage is lost on me. I don't see the change in pivot point and for the most part these guys are taking lines I can take on a sled. I hope this is a you've got to ride it to believe it issue!!!

B
Dec 28, 2014
Engine Shrouds

Hi Tillbuilt, Very nice bike! I'm building a wr450f TS LT for this season. Do you run engine shrouds on your bikes to help with engine temps? Is it necessary? I have a thermobob to install... Will it be enough by itself?

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Hi Tillbuilt, Very nice bike! I'm building a wr450f TS LT for this season. Do you run engine shrouds on your bikes to help with engine temps? Is it necessary? I have a thermobob to install... Will it be enough by itself?

Yes, a ThermoBob is enough, but shrouds are even better if you have a gauge and monitor tempature.

Premium Features