• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

“Best” Used Sleds To Buy

B
Dec 14, 2010
“Best” Used Sleds To Buy

Hello All,

About 5 years ago my family and I sold my selds due to me being away for college and them not wanting to ride much anymore.

Now that things have smoothed out financially, I’d like to get back into my favorite sport!

Info about me and my style of riding:

I typically do not like to trail ride, I typically like to ride anything that doesn’t look like it will result in an avalanche (I will be buying an avalanche backpack)
165lbs - 6’
$3500 dollars and under (already have a trailer)
Looking to buy over the summer for the best deal.

Right now I’m thinking I’d like to stick to a 2007+ Polaris and skidoo 600cc-800c 144-163” but there are some deals to be had on attic cats but I know next to zero about them. I wanted to get all of your thoughts on some of the better (more reliable) make/model/year to be on the look for?

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Picked up a 2014 RMK PRO as a back up/guest sled, $4,200 with 2,200 miles. Do yourself a favor and get something more current than a 2007, sleds improved a lot since then.

Just my $.02

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Yep, just had a thread like this. The poster in that one bought an '09 Cat M8.

Just a re-cap... I wouldn't consider a Polaris before a 2013 model but those should be getting close to your budget.

I wouldn't buy a Ski-Doo before the 2011 e-tech and probably not before a '14 XM.

Cat is a little different. The 2010-11 M8 sleds were the best of their time. The 800 Suzuki motor is probably one of the best motors ever put in a sled. These can be had in good shape for $3000 pretty easily. After those you want to skip all the way to a 2016, unless the '12-15 has the 36" front end with the '16+ spindles, otherwise they handle like pigs.

Personally I would get a little more financially stable and bump that budget to around $6000. That will get you into a newer chassis sled that you will enjoy a lot more.

I still have a couple '10 M8s as extras, hard to get rid of them because they have been such good machines but they just do not ride as well as the newer sleds.

Good Luck

B
Dec 14, 2010
Yep, just had a thread like this. The poster in that one bought an '09 Cat M8.

Just a re-cap... I wouldn't consider a Polaris before a 2013 model but those should be getting close to your budget.

I wouldn't buy a Ski-Doo before the 2011 e-tech and probably not before a '14 XM.

Cat is a little different. The 2010-11 M8 sleds were the best of their time. The 800 Suzuki motor is probably one of the best motors ever put in a sled. These can be had in good shape for $3000 pretty easily. After those you want to skip all the way to a 2016, unless the '12-15 has the 36" front end with the '16+ spindles, otherwise they handle like pigs.

Personally I would get a little more financially stable and bump that budget to around $6000. That will get you into a newer chassis sled that you will enjoy a lot more.

I still have a couple '10 M8s as extras, hard to get rid of them because they have been such good machines but they just do not ride as well as the newer sleds.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info, I will be sure to check out that thread. Was there a large change in the 12 M8s? What about the 09 M8’s? Bummer on Polaris because I’ve found some Dragons in my price range.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on buying a newer sled with around 2000 miles that the owner says will need a new top end? Does that sound like a money bit that was road really hard? I do have someone that would help me rebuild a sled motor for parts

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
09-11 m8 best for that price range. 10-11 have high output motor in same chassis as 9. 9 is a great motor.
That price range puts you in the worst year Polaris motors.

atomix3

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2018
I would by the newest machine you can find regardless of brand (minus Yammy) as long as it checks out fine. Don't be afraid of higher miles on newer Skidoos. Also definitely look up in Canada, you can get some really good buys up there, just remember they list as kilometers and not miles, they can easily be changed at dealer with quick hookup to computer.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks for the info, I will be sure to check out that thread. Was there a large change in the 12 M8s? What about the 09 M8’s? Bummer on Polaris because I’ve found some Dragons in my price range.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on buying a newer sled with around 2000 miles that the owner says will need a new top end? Does that sound like a money bit that was road really hard? I do have someone that would help me rebuild a sled motor for parts

Cat changed the chassis in 2012. They just took a while to get the mtn handling thing down. Same excellent Suzuki 800 HO. The early ProClimb just needs some updates to really ride well IMO.

The 09 M8 gives up a good 10 hp to the 10-11 HO. Worth it IMO to hold out for a nice 10-11.

Dragon is something you should run from, aptly named LOL They all have low miles because they only run a few hundred miles on each rebuild... They are not bargains.

I think 2000 miles is usually a good time to consider a top end. I wouldn't guess at it though, I would do a leak down test on the cylinders and see its real condition. Lots of Cats and Doos still healthy at that mileage.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Cat changed the chassis in 2012. They just took a while to get the mtn handling thing down. Same excellent Suzuki 800 HO. The early ProClimb just needs some updates to really ride well IMO.

The 09 M8 gives up a good 10 hp to the 10-11 HO. Worth it IMO to hold out for a nice 10-11.

Dragon is something you should run from, aptly named LOL They all have low miles because they only run a few hundred miles on each rebuild... They are not bargains.

I think 2000 miles is usually a good time to consider a top end. I wouldn't guess at it though, I would do a leak down test on the cylinders and see its real condition. Lots of Cats and Doos still healthy at that mileage.

Not every dragon is something to run from! The 700 was a beast and the 600 IQ is bullet proof!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah if you are looking to get serious about riding an 09-11 M8 will probably be your best option. They the most capable and reliable sled of their time. All around good machine.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Not every dragon is something to run from! The 700 was a beast and the 600 IQ is bullet proof!

Don't kid yourself. My buddy bought a 600 HO for his son, blew the motor the second season... I would walk right past the 700 Dragon to a Cat M7 and proceed to spank it all day long. Those IQs were a disaster IMO.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Don't kid yourself. My buddy bought a 600 HO for his son, blew the motor the second season... I would walk right past the 700 Dragon to a Cat M7 and proceed to spank it all day long. Those IQs were a disaster IMO.

Is there any M7 years that are as reliable as the 2009-2011 M8s?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
M7’s are fantastic for reliability, but chassis has a back end hang up
That bridges you on the snow. Easy to update to 09 tail with a few cooler parts and some rivet time. I’ve done several for my kids in an evening.
Or shop for one someone else has done. Simply cutting the horizontal boards and reinforcing end of cut rail to let tail drop into track rut rather than float on the sides and stick you. Motors are awesome.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The M7s were only made for 2005 and 2006. They are as reliable as the 09-11 M8s. Maybe more so considering they had the best diamond drives IMO. I still have my 2005 M7 with some updates as a backup machine. Too good of a sled to sell to someone for only $2500 and worth more to me to keep around. Biggest thing you'll have to watch for is if it's been maintained (as with any used sled). Replacing worn clutches, motor mounts, high mile top ends, etc. get expensive quick.

B
Dec 14, 2010
The M7s were only made for 2005 and 2006. They are as reliable as the 09-11 M8s. Maybe more so considering they had the best diamond drives IMO. I still have my 2005 M7 with some updates as a backup machine. Too good of a sled to sell to someone for only $2500 and worth more to me to keep around. Biggest thing you'll have to watch for is if it's been maintained (as with any used sled). Replacing worn clutches, motor mounts, high mile top ends, etc. get expensive quick.

Sounds like I may want to stick with a 09-11 M8

B
Dec 14, 2010
M7’s are fantastic for reliability, but chassis has a back end hang up
That bridges you on the snow. Easy to update to 09 tail with a few cooler parts and some rivet time. I’ve done several for my kids in an evening.
Or shop for one someone else has done. Simply cutting the horizontal boards and reinforcing end of cut rail to let tail drop into track rut rather than float on the sides and stick you. Motors are awesome.

I follow you untilyour last sentence about reinforcing the end of cut rail and letting the tail drop into the track. Is there a video or pictures on a how to? Are the cooler parts simply mounted on the rail or are there parts that need to be put in along the tunnel or in the engine bay?

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
I’m not on here to have a pecker swinging contest with the others! It’s all personal preference. As you see there are some on here pushing you towards the M series, and I’m the Lone Ranger for the IQ!

I was on a Mtn Max at this time and took every chance I could to ride the other 3 brands. My preference is the IQ (Polaris).

I highly suggest if possible to go toss a leg over the three brands that are in this era and you pick what fits you best! Don’t waste your time with the Yamaha 4 strike.

*Yes the 800 dragon had motor problems, I suggest looking at the 600 & 700.
*I’ve HEARD the diamond drive was causing fits to some riders on the M series. I don’t know if they still have the diamond drive on the current cats. I’ve ridden several M8’s and my father has a M6. I can’t get comfortable on these sleds (personal preference)
*Im sure that ski doo also had their problems.

Also you are looking at a used sled, so I’m sure whatever you purchase may have its USED sled problems!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I hate posting pics here, pm me your cell and I can text some to you, or look at 09-11 tunnel behind seat versus 06-08. Cooler parts are all back part of tunnel, couple different ways to go, parts vary by method.

Only pecker swinging on this thread popped out in post above this?

Premium Features