• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought an M7

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
Hey all, I just bought a 05 M7 162" limited edition. 3300miles. Its in pretty decent shape, track not great, but itll last this season, small dent on one a-arm but no major damage. What are some basic setup items for this sled to have a good season? What about some tuneup tips for the season? I've got an 05 rev, and a 99 mtn max as well. Im pretty stoaked about this as it's my first a-arm sled. I plan on putting a bar riser on, since im pretty tall, and some snow eliminator boards. Please let me know what you think and suggest what to do. Thanks, Brian

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Check the motor mounts and secondary clutch also the frontend bushings are most likely shot

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Learn how to remove, drain, disassemble, and refill/reinstall the ACT drive.
Clean the Powervalves, new set of plugs, and a good clutch cleaning/inspection are a must.
A-arms are only about 100$, might be a good idea to fix it before it becomes an issue.
I found a 2" block riser worked well with my M7, any taller and you start to get the "monkey bar" effect.
Overall the M7's are great sleds, youll have fun with it. There is plenty of info on here about them...

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
It appears to have the attack track, It will be swapped out next summer for challenger ( most likely) Ive got a set of WRP board inserts on the way and a 2" riser. I read up about the diamond drive service. It will be done before i ride, Also new spark plugs any other tune up concerns with these since its EFI? its my first EFI sled. The belt is a good spare, and it has a new belt, just need to swap, ive heard the clutches need to be inspected. Can any body point me to a good write up for the clutches? If someone knows a good writeup with pics for the diamond drive service? I found a great writeup on HCS, but the pics are expired. I've read through it, and the bearing replacement as well. Also, does anybody have a toolkit they want to get rid of? Thanks

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
EFI sleds are pretty much pull-n-go sleds. make sure you have good treated gas in it, and it may be a good idea to drain the tank completely and start off with fresh stuff.
Clutches: basically remove the belt, remove each clutch, and inspect for worn parts, give them a good blow out with some compressed air. dish washer actually works pretty well for this:face-icon-small-win
Act drive: The M7's have the stronger ACT drive so no bearing upgrades are typically needed. Just remove the unit, drain it, split it, and check for obvious signs of damage or bearing play. refill and back in the sled she goes.

W
Sep 8, 2015
I was just gonna post this same thread as I just picked up a 05 m7 162 with 1500 miles for 2450 yesterday. The hood is a cracked on one side pretty good and the handle bars don't line up with the skies. Other than that it is mechanically pretty good I think. How do I get the handle bars to line up and where should I look for a better hood.? The hood is runnable but would get a better one for the right price.

S
Sep 18, 2013
BEATER?!?!?!

That's a great looking sled! update that rear tunnel and youll be keeping up with the PRO's!

Yup, beater. Lol. She was a whole 2000$. Was all stock when I bought her. LOTS of fun stuff done since then. I have the rear section off now and I'm just waiting for the VanAmburg rear section to ship. These things are unreal reliable.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Yup, beater. Lol. She was a whole 2000$. Was all stock when I bought her. LOTS of fun stuff done since then. I have the rear section off now and I'm just waiting for the VanAmburg rear section to ship. These things are unreal reliable.

That's exactly why mine is still around! I don't think I'll ever get rid of it for a backup sled. Putting a set of pistons in it this year at 3500 miles just because.

S
Sep 18, 2013
They are relatively inexpensive to rebuild as well. I found a brand new crank in the box for 300$. Add 130$ for a top end kit and that's about as cheap as it gets!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
m 5 6 7

1. check gearing...........you really need to gear it down same as the later M8 2010, will go faster/higher/less cost..........win win win.

Must have orange secondary spring.

Do not leave the garage if it still has the stock track, any wore out ragged other 3.0 pitch track will be better

check tail light wire for short and or tape it so I can't short on tunnel at rear bumper

buy the later short tall seat........might be first critical mod especially if you are over 5' 4".

Jonathanpitzl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2013
Wabasso mn
love my m7 as my primary sled(for now)
Are you planning on throwing a lot of money at it or just leaving it stock for the most part?
Also nothing beats a beat up attack 20 on the trail(if in hillclimb position) but very poor in the pow. Im really happy with my camo 2.5

W
Sep 8, 2015
Anyone had problems getting to torque arm to line up with the relocated holes after putting in that relocation bracket? I put a amp one in and lineing it up dosent look like it's gonna be a cake walk however I haven't tried very hard yet. Do I need someone to pull back on the skid or something while I try to hook it back up?

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
Does anybody know what size lug you can put under this sled? Im looking at either a power claw or challenger. Can I run a 2.6" lug or 3"? Also, just to verify, its 162"x 15"x 3.00"pitch correct? Heres a few pics of the sled so far!

m7.jpg m7.2.jpg m7.3.jpg m7.4.jpg m7.5.jpg m7.6.jpg

Premium Features