• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shocking experience '06 600 SDI NOT!!

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
My wife's 600 developed an interesting problem today. No spark and no power to the fuel pump.
It was running fine, turned it off for a minute and when it was time to restart, nothing.
When I pushed the start/reverse button to power it up and pressurize the fuel pump all that happened is all the gage lights would light up while it was pressed then go off when the button was released.
Obviously the battery still had power and there was still a connection.
Pulled a plug and no spark, :mad: but after the 4th or 5th pull with the plug out it sudedenly powered up. The pump pressurized, gage lights came on, speedo lit up, I wasn't even pushing the start/reverse button at the time.:confused:
Slapped the plug in and she fired right up.
Obviously an electrical problem.
Has anyone ever experienced this? I would like to know where to look before I go pulling and checking every connection.
Pull start not electric.

R

RideCo

Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins, Co
Check all the connections under the console. Maybe dirty/ loose? Especially check the DESS connections and even the connection between the tether and switch. Saw this same thing happen on a buddies sled when we were out riding. We were getting ready to tow it out and I started messing with the connectors. One had oil all over it. Wiggled it and fired right up.
Good luck. These things can be a pain.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Check all the connections under the console. Maybe dirty/ loose? Especially check the DESS connections and even the connection between the tether and switch. Saw this same thing happen on a buddies sled when we were out riding. We were getting ready to tow it out and I started messing with the connectors. One had oil all over it. Wiggled it and fired right up.
Good luck. These things can be a pain.

Thanks RideCo, do you happen to recall which connector had the oil on it?

Anyone else experience this?

M
Dec 9, 2007
I had the same thing happen to mine, i thought my battery died so i put the charger on pulled it over and it started and ran fine after that, it will just be a connection somewhere. The connections at tthe battery and the inline fuse are a good place to start.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Sounds like a bad battery. When you pull the recoil a couple of times, it pressurizes a capacitor that allows for dead battery starting. If it were mine, I'd recommend the RT 1000 Electric start battery which is a little larger but lasts much much longer.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Sounds like a bad battery. When you pull the recoil a couple of times, it pressurizes a capacitor that allows for dead battery starting. If it were mine, I'd recommend the RT 1000 Electric start battery which is a little larger but lasts much much longer.

Thanks for the info. I pulled about 50 times before it fired back up. Has worked fine ever since. Starts on the first or second pull. Given that situation could the battery still be bad?:confused:

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Last weekend I was ice fishing in canada and one of my buddies drove his 07 out of the trailer and let it idle for awhile before he turned it off. About 5 min later went to start it and the fuel pump would not turn on. I had the same thing happen to mine last year, and I just let it sit for awhile then gave it a pull and it fired right up. We did the same thing and his fired up like nothing happened about 10 min later. I am thinking it must be something with the computer. The next time it happens I am going to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it to see if it resets or whatever.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
All,
Had this happen again but luckily in my garage this time. Found out what the problem was.:face-icon-small-hap

There are 3 relay switches in the fuse box just above the pipe. They control the fuel pump, spark and "run sequence" among other things, according to my manual.
I started switching them around trying to sort out the problem and it worked. The one controlling the pump was bad. Went down to the local parts store and looked thru thier inventory and found one to match.
Brand name: NIEHOFF, part #RL36621 relay switch.

Cheaper than the Ski-Doo part # and available nationwide.:D
Ran it 50 miles today and no problems.

Also if you had this happen while riding you could switch the relays to get the sled back to the truck. There would be something not working somewhere, (hand warners, dash lights etc), but since, according to the schematic in the manual, the only electrical required to run the motor is the one that powers the fuel pump (this is the same one that supplies spark) you could at least get it out under it's own power.:beer;

Premium Features