• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wha do you guys reccomend for big bores

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Seems a lot more realistic to prove your worth on the race scene than with some grudge match in the back hills.

The problem is unless the builder competes or wrenches onsite I fear the performance of their kit will always come down to the excuse that they are not there to tune it etc...There's only one kit out there that the builder isn't afraid to run on the race circuit or am I incorrect?

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
We just finished installed an 872 into the shop's 2014 Freeride over the weekend. I have examined and installed ALL of the big bore makers cylinders and pistons, and what I can say about Trygstad's stuff is that the fit, finish, and execution is the cleanest that I have seen. The pistons were balanced EXACTLY to each other, it came with all the gaskets and parts needed to make a running engine. It came with crystal-clear instructions on specifics as well. On the phone Dave is very easy going and calm as well.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
TJ/A7 that is where your 100% wrong...

The name of this game is "can you on your sled beat me on mine"....

If you don't get that then??

OT....25,000+ hits and NO takers (to run SHR customer sleds)...on the hill were we all ride...these are pump gas trail motors built/sold to "Joe mountain guy" and I believe I offer the best motor/clutching/gearing/chassis set up because I actual ride what I sell...and after 14 years here on SW YOU still don't get that...

Sigh...BJ

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
TJ/A7 that is where your 100% wrong...

The name of this game is "can you on your sled beat me on mine"....

If you don't get that then??

OT....25,000+ hits and NO takers (to run SHR customer sleds)...on the hill were we all ride...these are pump gas trail motors built/sold to "Joe mountain guy" and I believe I offer the best motor/clutching/gearing/chassis set up because I actual ride what I sell...and after 14 years here on SW YOU still don't get that...

Sigh...BJ

Actually, it should have read "can you on your sled beat me on mine...in my backyard." Most big dogs I know of go to the others back yard and beat them on their own home turf, not the other way around.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Turbojamie I'm not sure why you feel the need to answer or direct all your replies at me. I did not direct my response at you just a generalization. I'm sorry you are so paranoid about any good press you feel the need to constantly monitor these forums and post replies. Maybe your best to let my product do the talking and leave the keyboard alone?

I changed 3 words...seems a lot more accurate now...LOL

BB peeps...Just like every other thread, you need to ignore the instigators and look for the factual information and then pick up the phone and call who you choose for specific details and options...

FYI....SHR has been helping DOO guys on SW for 14 years, offer complete packages that I have run myself on the mountain...it's that simple...BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Actually, it should have read "can you on your sled beat me on mine...in my backyard." Most big dogs I know of go to the others back yard and beat them on their own home turf, not the other way around.

Jimmy.... Um I live in Minnesota...had a little thread last year, 25,000 hits, I think you even added a few excuses...an open invitation in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho to come out and ride...pretty sure that's not my backyard...

But hey that's OK, pretty use to the double standard...sigh BJ

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
You guys that hold up RMSHA as the deciding factor in who builds the best motor are really reaching. Everyone got their a$$es handed to them last year by a guy on a Polaris. So is Polaris the best. It must be. Or could it be the guy on the sled makes for 90% of the outcome of a hill climb. Who's motor are you going to use? The guy that gives you the motor for reduced price or the guy that will charge you retail. Better find a different measuring stick than RMSHA.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
You guys that hold up RMSHA as the deciding factor in who builds the best motor are really reaching. Everyone got their a$$es handed to them last year by a guy on a Polaris. So is Polaris the best. It must be. Or could it be the guy on the sled makes for 90% of the outcome of a hill climb. Who's motor are you going to use? The guy that gives you the motor for reduced price or the guy that will charge you retail. Better find a different measuring stick than RMSHA.

And wasn't that guy on a Polaris's 600 stock time better then most of the other riders on any motors? LOL

I agree 100% with your post! I've been shopping for a BB for my next sled and I don't care how that motor would run in a RMSHA race at all. I just care how that motor runs for ME and my riding style/terrain.

Like others have said call the BB builders and talk with them, it's worth the call when it's your money, your sled and your time.

G
Apr 23, 2008
BJ = OT.. you created it to keep your name on the top..lol

that post to nickiie was friendly poking.. we all do it but only paid advertisers get away with it..

Mr. Landry and I will do some jamming when the snow flies and I will report back how his 872 etech does vs my pg turbo .. results will be posted here along with vids.. hope the others that exist in the flatlands show up..

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
In the tonnes of research that I have done on doo BBs, the ones that I have seen, and talking to guys that have had them, I would go with an 872 if doing one. The 860s I was around were embarrassing (2 different builders). Havent heard anything but good about Daves 872. The smoking gun for me was talking to a couple of guys that really know their stuff that have had both, and the 872 pulled WAY more pin weight with the same clutch setup. The fact that ski-doo is using them for thier race team and offering them at their dealerships says something too. No cheerleading here. Just my opinion.

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
Jimmy.... Um I live in Minnesota...had a little thread last year, 25,000 hits, I think you even added a few excuses...an open invitation in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho to come out and ride...pretty sure that's not my backyard...

But hey that's OK, pretty use to the double standard...sigh BJ

A double standard? As I recall Slim not you made the post, he was willing to travel a certain distance from his place(with suggested areas). Only excuse I use was make is a sanctioned event. To keep cheating to a minimum, Hell you made a list of mods Slims sled had and didn't mention the Timbersled rear skid. Skids do make a difference ya know.

Slims sled...

2013 XM

163 track...stock
chassis...stock (bent tunnel but not for speed...lol)
y pipe...stock
pipe...stock
can...HPS
reeds...stock
air box...stock
ECM...stock
head...stock (SHR pump gas cut)
cylinder...stock (SHR bored/ported)
pistons...Wossner forged
crank...stock (SHR trued/greased)
primary...stock (SHR spring/full pin/balanced)
secondary...stock (SHR spring/SW adj. helix)
chain case...stock (SHR gearing)
E start (old man)

I haven't even rode this sled...customer build (some "hack" "parts changer" built the motor) the rest is ALL Slim...

SOOOO

Since there is 1 meeelion 872s out there...It should be easy to get a few challengers...GOD knows back in October/November there was plenty making claims....well gentleman, its time.

Consider yourselves officially "called out"...the races/high marks will be on video and the results (no matter what) will be posted...NO whining or excuses.

Stop talking, touch base with Slim, put your helmet on and point your sled up a hill and prove yours is better??

BJ

BTW- there could be a carb version there too just to compare an old build vs some new iron...

You get so personal BJ, so personal.... I could give a rats a$$ anymore, this BB thing is such a pissing match anymore and I only see one builder and his buds or brother making consistent comments. If you don't agree with what he says then watch out.....

C

Cracker

Nov 26, 2007
Idaho, Boise
Go head and delete me ,I'am tired of reading You Crying Foul , and I'am Mister cool , Just build your chit and keep your Big Mouth Shut and you will not have The bad rep you are getting , let your Engines do the talking . Ya you are a Snow West sponsor, Who Gives A F!!!!!!!

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
I changed 3 words...seems a lot more accurate now...LOL

BB peeps...Just like every other thread, you need to ignore the instigators and look for the factual information and then pick up the phone and call who you choose for specific details and options...

FYI....SHR has been helping DOO guys on SW for 14 years, offer complete packages that I have run myself on the mountain...it's that simple...BJ

I believe the types of things that are done like above are the reason why things go south. All vendors should act like vendors and as I said put the keyboard down and let their product do the talking. If its as good as the hype it surely doesn't need any advertisement on these or any other forums to be successful. There must be hundreds, thousands even of happy customers spreading the word.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Cracker?? No idea who or what your talking about...

Jimmy.... Cheating?? Can you on your sled beat me on mine... Simple
Only rules were no NOS,turbos or 3" tracks....this year just no power adders... Pretty difficult list of rules...

Jamie...the only reason I come on here is squash DIS information...and help peeps out...maybe you should step away from the keyboard?

And here's your double standard.... Some of you "get" to slander, discredit all day long and then you get called out you whine and cry "poor me"...sigh BJ

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
BJ I bought one of your motors. Need I post the pics of it after 600 miles?

I'm not spreading any misinformation regarding a product that I have personally spent $ on and run only my experience which was not in your favor. Unfortunately the point as I see it of a forum is subjective and objective. And I feel others are entitled to have access to my experience which is the whole point of the forums.

So when a thread pops up yes I share my experience when people ask ;) that's what a forum is for.

As I said if the product is as good as claimed let it speak for its self. A few guys whom disagree or had bad experiences shouldn't keep such a killer product down right?

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
BJ I bought one of your motors. Need I post the pics of it after 600 miles?

I'm not spreading any misinformation regarding a product that I have personally spent $ on and run only my experience which was not in your favor. Unfortunately the point as I see it of a forum is subjective and objective. And I feel others are entitled to have access to my experience which is the whole point of the forums.

So when a thread pops up yes I share my experience when people ask ;) that's what a forum is for.

As I said if the product is as good as claimed let it speak for its self. A few guys whom disagree or had bad experiences shouldn't keep such a killer product down right?
Well, that works both ways. I have Pm'd guys on here about the Trygstad motors and they had issues. They said they don't dare say anything on here or they would get the wrath of o few people. I would like to know problems with products so I could avoid those problems myself. Isn't that what these forums should be about? To say some builders have problems and others don't is disingenuous at best. It's a motor. There is always a certain percentage of possible failure no matter what. It's how that builder stands behind the product that counts.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Well, that works both ways. I have Pm'd guys on here about the Trygstad motors and they had issues. They said they don't dare say anything on here or they would get the wrath of o few people. I would like to know problems with products so I could avoid those problems myself. Isn't that what these forums should be about? To say some builders have problems and others don't is disingenuous at best. It's a motor. There is always a certain percentage of possible failure no matter what. It's how that builder stands behind the product that counts.

Well stated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features