• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any New Big Bore Fuel Injected Two Strokes Coming

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
Would like to get a snow bike as getting a bit bored with the sleds. Have went through every post on here trying to learn what i can. Lots of great post. As of now i would like to get a husky 511 as i think it would suit me best at this time. There are lots of good bikes out there working fine. I am wondering if you think any of the companys out there might try to bring back a big bore injected two stroke ? Also do any of you feel someone will come out with something factory built to use as snow bike to use with track kits out there ? I do want to use the bike on the dirt also. Im going to be 59 in march so im not looking at racing a bike but do love making mess of brothers sod in his pastures ! If any of you would ever be in southern big horns would love to meet up and try a bike or watch you. Maybe safer that way ! Im one of the owners of the log cabin motel in Ten Sleep Wy www.tensleepmotel.com
I live in MN.Would love to give some one brake on room if could see you ride your bike. We need more snow there now. But it will come ! Im not ready to go yet any how as being im old had some repairs on my feet nov 13 ! Doc said i can go now so will be out there soon . I spend most of feb and march out there when the good snow is there ! Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Im sure i will have many more questions down the road .

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I'd also consider the KTM500 XCW, it won't need any mods done to the timbersled kit, and it seems to be working awesome for me for my 2nd year on it. Compare husky and ktm for aftermarket stuff, and you'll quickly see that you can easily outfit a KTM with rad guards and skid plate, but the husky not so easily.

They both have the same displacement too, although the KTM is conventional in its driveline thus the timbersled fits without mods.

You might want to consider coming out west to rent a timbersled from Nixon Prosports, (user name prosports HERE) to see how a timbersled can perform in it's natural environment (the mtns).

I love 2strokes, but starting a big bore with ice on your kickstarter isn't fun. Pushing a little red button for half a second is much easier.

Jon

Last edited:

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
Thanks . Will check the ktm out also. My worry with them was that they were true race bike and would need more work to make them last. Great thought on renting one for a bit.

S
Oct 23, 2008
ak/mn
Burr - thats cool that your 59 and still in the sport.

I am in different shoes, 28 and looking to get into the sport. Right now I own 3 sleds but my goal for next winter is to own a snowbike. I also live in MN and ride once a year at togwotee.

My plan is to buy an 09 or newer KX450 and build my own kit. My good friend is working on the same thing except he recently purchased a KX500 big bore 2 stroke. That thing is a beast to kick over!!! I literally tacks everything I got to get it running!

I think in the not so distant future - the big manufactures will open their eyes and start producing snow bikes from a factory level. I know if I was the owner of Polaris or KTM I would be all over this.

If you look at the new mountain sleds Polaris and Ski doo are producing they are basically trying to make a sled act like a dirtbike (more narrow, nimble, flickable etc)

Why not just start with a dirtbike? Thats why I think this sport is going to boom in the next couple of years.

well anywas I think I've had to much coffee and need to get back to work now - whatever you get for a bike have fun with it. its all about the ride and not what your riding

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Service Powersports will be releasing Electronic Ignition, fuel Injection Kx and CR 500's. They are riding them on the dirt now. Those will be totally KILLER snowbikes!!!! :jaw:

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
Burr - thats cool that your 59 and still in the sport.

I am in different shoes, 28 and looking to get into the sport. Right now I own 3 sleds but my goal for next winter is to own a snowbike. I also live in MN and ride once a year at togwotee.

My plan is to buy an 09 or newer KX450 and build my own kit. My good friend is working on the same thing except he recently purchased a KX500 big bore 2 stroke. That thing is a beast to kick over!!! I literally tacks everything I got to get it running!

I think in the not so distant future - the big manufactures will open their eyes and start producing snow bikes from a factory level. I know if I was the owner of Polaris or KTM I would be all over this.

If you look at the new mountain sleds Polaris and Ski doo are producing they are basically trying to make a sled act like a dirtbike (more narrow, nimble, flickable etc)

Why not just start with a dirtbike? Thats why I think this sport is going to boom in the next couple of years.

well anywas I think I've had to much coffee and need to get back to work now - whatever you get for a bike have fun with it. its all about the ride and not what your riding

Thanks for the support that i still love sleding as still have 4 of them and cant part with any of them. It is getting harder to get friends to go as they say my back hurts -its to cold - my neck is sore and many more reasons to sit on sofa ! I love to go hard on bad trails as it helps me get old bones and joints feeling good again. And that is 100% true with me ! I hope when its my time i die digging out sled that i stuck or a cliff that i went over after missing a curve ! Im happy to see you love the snow also. Glad that you are going to get a snow bike also and you have made good bike picks. Very cool that you are going to build your own kit. Im am going to get a push button start as dont want to hurt what doc fix on my feet ! Your young and heal faster when starting them big bores say they not like you any more and beat you up. I agree that one or more companys will come up with a factory built snow bike. Just pray they not steal from all the good companys making the kits now. Would love to meet you some time and do some riding on sleds and are snow bikes when we both get some going ! Send me private message or go to www.tensleepmotel.com and manager will help you find me.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Service Powersports will be releasing Electronic Ignition, fuel Injection Kx and CR 500's. They are riding them on the dirt now. Those will be totally KILLER snowbikes!!!! :jaw:

Is this going to cost an arm and leg? I think the apt smartcarb is going to be the ticket minus the icing, do you have yours yet? I along with many others can't follow your KX500 thread anymore because we are basic members, could you start a new thread on it.

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
Is this going to cost an arm and leg? I think the apt smartcarb is going to be the ticket minus the icing, do you have yours yet? I along with many others can't follow your KX500 thread anymore because we are basic members, could you start a new thread on it.

Went to service powersports web site or service honda which came up better. They not cheap but maybe not bad deal for what you are getting for the money they asking. Looks like they sell the whole bike. Does not look like you can find a good deal on a bike and bring it to them or get kit. I might be wrong on that part. They nice but more bike than old fart like me needs as they would kill me in summer when ground hard . Would feel better on snow bike with one as would not hurt as much having bobo on snow bike !

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt

The APT Smart Carb has advantages over EFI. Mine is on and testing. It works. I maintain correct air/fuel from my home to the top of the mountain. Pretty awesome. I have just begun testing. I am leaning out the low/mid today and will start putting long rides on it. I will report.

S
Oct 23, 2008
ak/mn
I forwarded the APT smartcarb to my buddy with the KX500, just to clarify the smartcarb compensates for temp changes too? I know it does for elevation

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm surprised no one has got a pulse intake setup running on a 500hundy. They are supposed to be working very well. More power than a regular intake with a 38-41mm carb. Anyone ?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'll have to ask Ron about the Smartcarb next time i talk with him. Roosty says he never will run a bike without one. Some pretty big torque gains ! They say they run pretty sweet. Cant't wait to try it out in the sand and snow !

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'll have to ask Ron about the Smartcarb next time i talk with him. Roosty says he never will run a bike without one. Some pretty big torque gains ! They say they run pretty sweet. Cant't wait to try it out in the sand and snow !

Is there a forum you don't belong to?

M5

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah Adam is awesome ! He knows his CR500 steelies and A/Fs inside out. He has been helping me plan my 500. He has a ton of porting knowledge and builds a mean CR. I'd like to see one of these 12000 RPM monsters lol

As for the Pulse I don't think there is much for issues other than when you change the carb configuration. Ron likes a certain carb for certain situations and when you change to something different then mounting and internals change from what I understand.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HhzuZX9yT4M

Premium Features