• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skis

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
What skis are you running on your 1100's
Is 8" to wide or just right?
Powder pro?
C and A?
Simmons?
Sly dogs?
Not interested in anything for trail riding. Only Interested in what people are running for deep powder, good sidehilling and tree riding

Riding a 12 1100T 162" BC275 with the 38" a arms (before next winter)

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I've tried a few...

Running a 2013 M1100T with EVO BC250 kit. I've a set of PPros with Carl's Cut, Pilot DS skis and Pilot 6.9's (doo), and Polaris Gripper skis. Was never a fan of Slydogs on the M-chassis. I think my favorites for deep powder are the SLP PPros, but I like the Polaris grippers for all around riding - they don't excel in one area, but are a good all around choice for the 1100T. Pilot DS skis worked ok off trail, too.
I will likely install a set of MODS before next season - they are the one ski I've found over the years that have improved EVERY sled they've been installed on. Skis are a personal choice - I like a "light" ski, & could care less how they perform on the trail or if they push in corners...

F
Apr 5, 2009
i got usi tripple threats on my 12 11t. love them. good in the deeps stuff, light steering effort, and even thoughy you dont care on trail stuff they do great there too.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Personally IMO,

I tried some gen III, great for a M but suck on a PC, from what I've seen PP's are a fav. But if I keep a PC I will try poo pro skis before anything else. I think it may be the best of both (or maybe best all together but have to try it first), esp with 38" and cheap to try. So far everyone on PC that is running them likes the pro skis. little wider and deep keel, which is what the PC favors.

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
For the 1100, I'm using the 8" sly dogs with the rear outside flanges cut. I prefer my powder pros on the 8. On the 1100, I like a larger foot print and throttle control! :juggle:

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
For the 1100T anything that is about as wide as the sled should help!:face-icon-small-ton I've got the GenIII's and they hold up the beast pretty well but the PP's are cheaper and work better from what I've heard.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I have powder pros and I find them to aggressive on hard snow and icy conditions.
Going to try sly dogs next year.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
You guys that run gen 3's.
Is there anything you wish the ski did better? It has a very different design then The powder pros. I would think that difference between the two on the snow would be alot different then one just working a little bit better in just one area.
Like I said. I'm really only looking for the opinion of back country riders. I would prefer a ski biased towards working the best in deep powder, in and out of the trees

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'm telling you they suck on the PC unless the snow is deep and fluffy.

When you get it on edge they do not like to countersteer and fight you hard because its riding on the outside edge and trying stay flat which forces it straight.

The PP's and Pro Grippers are a V design, this lets it pivot on the center of the ski and tip up before applying the outside pressure. Just think of it this way, take a 2x8 and lay it flat on the floor then stand on the edge and see if it flips up on edge. Then in the center of the bottom nail a 2x2 to the 2x8 and stand on the edge and it flips right over side to side. Same effect, its why I sold my III's and went back to stock until I find some pro skis, and I think the pro skis are wider than the pp's but not sure.

Rather than cut like some do, This is what I did to make the III's better and it worked but still not enough for the extreme, and they fight you to turn in stiffer snow really bad. Made a PC feel like a XP

IMG_20120426_133155.jpg IMG_20120426_133219.jpg IMG_20120426_133259.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN

Again this is Wyo-boys opinion.........

A couple of guys in our group have them, me included.

They work great on this sled.

The only beef I have is that they are heavy skis compared to the other options.......

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007

Again this is Wyo-boys opinion.........

A couple of guys in our group have them, me included.

They work great on this sled.

The only beef I have is that they are heavy skis compared to the other options.......

Have you rode the same sled, with all the other skis on the same day?

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY

When you get it on edge they do not like to countersteer and fight you hard because its riding on the outside edge and trying stay flat which forces it straight.

The PP's and Pro Grippers are a V design, this lets it pivot on the center of the ski and tip up before applying the outside pressure. Just think of it this way, take a 2x8 and lay it flat on the floor then stand on the edge and see if it flips up on edge. Then in the center of the bottom nail a 2x2 to the 2x8 and stand on the edge and it flips right over side to side. Same effect, its why I sold my III's and went back to stock until I find some pro skis, and I think the pro skis are wider than the pp's but not sure.

Rather than cut like some do, This is what I did to make the III's better and it worked but still not enough for the extreme, and they fight you to turn in stiffer snow really bad. Made a PC feel like a XP

I would have to agree with wyoboy on this 100%.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Just think of it this way, take a 2x8 and lay it flat on the floor then stand on the edge and see if it flips up on edge. Then in the center of the bottom nail a 2x2 to the 2x8 and stand on the edge and it flips right over side to side.

That makes total sense IF YOU DONT THINK ABOUT IT.

Your comment would make sense if the snowmobile skis actually worked that way.

They do not however.

the tipping point is not in the center of any ski, it is the outermost edge of the ski. That is the point where the snowmobile is trying to pivot, not on the keel. It is not like each ski somehow pivots sideways independent of the rest of the sled. They are fixed to each other. The further out the effective ability of the ski to grab the snow, the tougher it will be to get the sled tipped on its side. It could be that other skis grab the snow differently on the ski, making it easier to side hill......

You may have a personal liking to a particular ski, but your reasoning is flawed.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
That makes total sense IF YOU DONT THINK ABOUT IT.

Your comment would make sense if the snowmobile skis actually worked that way.

They do not however.

the tipping point is not in the center of any ski, it is the outermost edge of the ski. That is the point where the snowmobile is trying to pivot, not on the keel. It is not like each ski somehow pivots sideways independent of the rest of the sled. They are fixed to each other. The further out the effective ability of the ski to grab the snow, the tougher it will be to get the sled tipped on its side. It could be that other skis grab the snow differently on the ski, making it easier to side hill......

You may have a personal liking to a particular ski, but your reasoning is flawed.

You would think but it does make sense, I tested the skis before I came to the conclusion so, Yes it is my opinion and you have not answered my question.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
I ran powder pros on my 1100t this year. On hard snow, slow speed, or trails they suck, way to much keel for the weight on the front end of this sled, very heavy steering. In powder, turning with speed or in soft snow aok. Buddies ran Simmons gen 1 and they were nicer all around IMO. I loved the PP's on my m1000 but not on the 1100.

Boostfreak

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2002
Lander, Wyoming
8" sly dogs on my 2012 m8. Work great! Had powder pros on my m1000 but went with 8 sly dogs on the pro climb due to less belly pan to help float the sled in pow. Happy with my decision.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Premium Features