• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good Back Country GPS

Y
Feb 5, 2009
hey, Im looking for a good back country GPS for this season. I know people who have them and they have given me there 2 cents and now im looking for yours. I am specifically looking at garmin. I have an in car one (nuvi 760) that I just frickin love so ya, help me out!! Thanks:beer;

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Garmin Rhino 530 HCX, that way you always have a two way radio on you. I have one, and most of my riding buddies do to, the radio part has saved us a few times.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. And i got to say, It works great.
It has helped me find my way home several times..

If you are gonna buy one today, maybe a 60CSx - with a memory card. So you have more memory for storing maps. :)

A

All4traction

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie
Any handheld GPS will do the trick, but I have used a Garmin 60csx for almost 4 years now, and its awesome. the 60cs is pretty much identical, just doesnt have as many options or elevation mapping like the csx.

I havent come acroos a GPS that is much better (unless you get into mapping ones that will set you behind thousands of $$) The only one I might look at otherwise would be the Rino 530 for the 2-way radio. (never used one personally though)

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
+1 for 60CSx.

If you plan on mounting it to the dash, you might look into the 76csx. Same features as the 60csx, but made for marine use and the layout's different. The RAM-mount for that wraps around the entire GPS instead of relying on the belt clip to secure it like the 60. If I had to do it again, I'd get the 76.

The 60's a great unit though.

If you don't have (or want to upgrade) your two-way radio, the Rino 530 has the same GPS and GPS-related features as the 60/76, but includes the two-way radio functionality. $$$, but both the GPS and radio perform well from what I've seen.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i use a magellen, the screen is twice as big as a rhino. makes it a lot easier to read, especially when the screen gets wet:) although the tracking of your buddies on the rhino is one awesome option!!!

Y
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks guys. The 60 csx looks really cool! The price, not some much. Might ask my parents or gf for that for xmass hahahaha. Is the eTrex Venture HC any good? If the cheap way out isn't as good please let me know. I mostly stick to silver star and hunters range when just me and my friends go, and then go out to revy and other places with the dads. Stick with the experienced ones:beer;

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
If you don't have (or want to upgrade) your two-way radio, the Rino 530 has the same GPS and GPS-related features as the 60/76, but includes the two-way radio functionality. $$$, but both the GPS and radio perform well from what I've seen.
My only issue with the Rino GPS systems is that if they do have the same chipset, why can't they hold a signal like the GPSMap series units?

It might only be an issue in the northern latitudes, but it is an issue.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Are you guys riding with your GPS on all of the time? If so, where do you have to keep a signal?

Mine in the backpack seems to loose signal.

I have a Garmin ETrex Vista HCX

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Are you guys riding with your GPS on all of the time? If so, where do you have to keep a signal?

Mine in the backpack seems to loose signal.
Yes. Lock depends a lot on the receiver. My old GPS12 did fine in the pack. Does better on the dash, and powers itself from the sled when it's running. 60 mounts in the same place, don't have a pic of it there yet though.

Y
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks everyone. I just purchased a Trex Venture HC for 150.00 online. Im going to make a mount for my handle bar strap so its rite up in sight hahah i think is gonna work really good. gonna get the western Canada TOPO map and the thing should be even better:beer;. Thanks.

Premium Features