• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CAMSO 2.86 PITCH BACK COUNTRY X2 146 X 2.00??????

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I am thinking of building the ultimate Michigan sled for me. I would be starting with my 2018 Axys SKS 155. This sled already has the extended raptor shock eyelet and longer limiter straps to make it like a Khaoas. I would need to buy Ice Age 146 Khaos rails and cut tunnel.

My question is about the track. Has anyone used this track? Is it good in the deep? Does it hold up well on trails? Its considered a crossover.
54-9417 CAMSO 2.86 PITCH BACK COUNTRY X2 146 X 2.00 15 WIDE TRACK

I want something that will do well in the deep backcountry but also be able to rip on the trail. I find myself riding more with my family which are better suited to trails or at least some areas where they can track pouch. But I will still have days where its all about the deep. Also a possibly a trip or 2 out west. Although may just borrow or rent. I always buy a 155 for this purpose but find myself wanting to ride a lot more than I can go out west for.

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
I really liked the 1.75 backcountry track for a crossover track on my nytro xtx. I did lots of trails and off trail with it and it held up very well.
On my SKS, I have the 2.25 polaris track and it is honestly holding up very well, but I do run scratchers all the time when on hard pack.

That being said, the mountain chassis will never be fun to ride on a trail, the ergonomics are just wrong for trail riding. IMO the work to shorten it to a 144 wouldn't be worth it, if anything just get a lower lug height track and ride it like that. I think camso makes a 1.6 cobra or something in a center drive 2.86 pitch 155.

From the sounds of it though, a switchback assault or a 146 SKS would be a better sled for you, the trail chassis is a great all around chassis, and still does quite well off trail. I have a 21 assault with the 1.6 cobra for trail days and have been impressed with how well it still does off trail.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I really liked the 1.75 backcountry track for a crossover track on my nytro xtx. I did lots of trails and off trail with it and it held up very well.
On my SKS, I have the 2.25 polaris track and it is honestly holding up very well, but I do run scratchers all the time when on hard pack.

That being said, the mountain chassis will never be fun to ride on a trail, the ergonomics are just wrong for trail riding. IMO the work to shorten it to a 144 wouldn't be worth it, if anything just get a lower lug height track and ride it like that. I think camso makes a 1.6 cobra or something in a center drive 2.86 pitch 155.

From the sounds of it though, a switchback assault or a 146 SKS would be a better sled for you, the trail chassis is a great all around chassis, and still does quite well off trail. I have a 21 assault with the 1.6 cobra for trail days and have been impressed with how well it still does off trail.

I think I would give up too much for the deep snow days. I have been riding a mountain sled on trails since 2006. Doesn't bother me a bit. As a matter of fact I turned my SKS from a 39" to a 36" front end a couple of years ago and love it. It just I worry every time I am on a groomed trail and hit 60+ because my 2.6" is not designed for it. Been doing it for years but just thought instead of replacing tracks I could get a better suited one next time.

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
gotcha, if you're happy with your sks on the trails, then I'd suggest running the Camso 9273C, 1.6 ice cobra. It doesn't look like they make the regular cobra in this size, but this is what I have been looking at for a more cross country track for my SKS.
That way all you need to do is swap the track to go from trail/crossover to deep snow.

P
Mar 1, 2015
Did you end up cuting it down after all ? Just curious as I wanted to do the same thing this summer with my SKS but didnt get around to do it. Same Reason as you I still want a sled that is capable offtrail but don't want to be changing track every year because of those time a may go a bit too fast for too long haha. Like you I'm happy with the handling of the SKS on the trails.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I ended up ordering the 146x2" challenger with center port. After talking to tracks usa and there really is no availability wtih the Hurricane track right now. If you want to follow the build on this it is in the Member sled builds forums.

Premium Features