• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mirage or Wells Cargo???

B
Oct 26, 2003
I would like to hear opinions on which is the better built trailer as far as structural integrity, longevity, etc.. Thank you.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I had an early model Mirage, first year, and I didn't have the best of luck. I now have last years model with over 12,000 miles on it and it still looks new as the day I bought it. I love the front door, the floor and the way it pulls. I have the Extreme Sport 26' Deluxe model with 5,200 lbs axles.

If something happened to this beyond my control I would buy another.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've got a mirage and think their quality control guys must be on vacation 80% of the year. I think the trailer is awesome with the features I've got on it. had the header on the rear door break right off on both sides at the walls, gas tank under the floor(above axles) was sitting on axles at one point(glad I noticed it) and was able to bolt it back up(could have been very messy), the paint used on the trailer was peeling and rusting out(they claimed it was a couple year old paint they were getting rid of) with this being said, they took the trailer back(5 months old at the time) and fixed everything that was wrong with it. I just think a 5 month old trailer shouldn't have stuff like that go wrong with it period. Other than that, If i bought another trailer I would get another mirage. I would just want to be standing there watching and making sure it didnt' get skimped on again.

B
Oct 26, 2003
Interesting... there isn't a Wells Cargo dealer close by, but I think I'll take the drive to check them out before taking the plunge for a Mirage. The Mirages do look nice and have a lot of nice features, and not to mention are cheaper than a Wells, but I am a stickler for perfection and can't handle poor quality.

Thank you all for being honest, I'm glad I asked before I laid down the cash. I think I'll get under both of them and go over them with a fine tooth comb and see which one had more time spent on it.

Thanks again.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I have a Mirage. It is a 28 foot sport extreme. Have had it for two years now and love it. Put a bunch of racks and bench seats in it myself. Haul the sleds in the winter and haul Harleys and my 67 GTO in it in the summer.

trailer060.jpg

trailer061.jpg

trailer062.jpg

D
Jan 3, 2008
Whitecourt, AB
I've had a wells for about 2 years and it's held up pretty good just watch the seem where the plywood joins on the front ramp mine's starting to split. I had a few problems when I first started using it - the battery wasn't tightend on, a beauty cap came off with the grease cap on one of the wheels and some of the the screws inside started working loose. I think your best bet is to go over it really well when you get it home and you should'nt have any problems.

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
i have installed heaters in the walls of both and the wells cargo has thicker alum..better sidewall structure--was not impressed with the mirage at all

F
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting to see all the different opinions.I had a wells for 4 years,washed it faithfully after every ride,including the undercarriage.Waxed it twice a year and touched up all the paint every year,retreated the floor etc.Doors fell apart,electrolysis at the joins in the panels,and electrical problems.Maybe I got the bad one ,but I wasn't happy with it.:beer;

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Mirage is the best trailer with far superior sled related benefits and superior price points. If you think you have 100% perfection with any trailer manufacturer clear on up to a build like ATC or custom hand builts that cost triple of a production trailer you very very naive.

Anything mechanical that is mass produced has a risk of variances in quality. How the product is used and who is using it is more directly related to issues then actual quality control of a given product. No different in cars, equipment, trucks, boats ect ect ect. Shop for design and carefully inspect your purchase before you take it home. If it isn't right don't take it!

Pick the one that offers you the most value for your money and buy it from a respected dealer who will support you.

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
we had a wells cargo(stolen) and the thing was kinda cheap in my opinion, never having experiences with any other trailer i dont know any comparisons.

but the side looked like someone kicked it in a couple hundred times with all the rivets and stuff not fitting it was wavy as hell(im sure it has something to do with heat/cold....etc...anyways it looked cheap.
the roof caved in, yes their was a lot of snow on it. but should cave it, it doesnt have much structure for the roof anyways.
and this thing started rusting on the bottom of the back ramp. after a year it looked like a beat to hell trailer that went no more then 2500kms ever!

F
Nov 27, 2007
How bout, Featherlite?

great trailer, superior quality, had my 28' gooseneck car//snowmobile hauler 2 yrs...
Maybe a lil' more spendy, but they maintain there value unlike alot of other trailers.

swikertrob

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
www.miragetrailers.com
i have installed heaters in the walls of both and the wells cargo has thicker alum..better sidewall structure--was not impressed with the mirage at all

The Aluminum skin on both trailers is .030, the sidewall structure is 14 guage formed hat sections on both trailers, the main rails are 8" i-beam on Mirage and 6" tube on Wells. The interior walls are approx 3/8", my point is the sidewall structure are so close you would hard pressed to tell the difference. Your Interstate is very much the same, however it lacks dust proof sidewalls. (open wall exposed from bottom to top)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I would like to hear opinions on which is the better built trailer as far as structural integrity, longevity, etc.. Thank you.

I can't possibly see how a Wells Cargo could be any worse than a Mirage.

I have a 2007 16' Mirage Snow-Extreme and it's a shoddy hunk of junk.

The d-rings have popped out, the freaking axle assembly has bent, the spare tire mount has come loose, the screws in the floor look like a retard on LSD screwed them in, they're all crooked....there are gaps in the floor you can see light through.

I paid $7,000 for that damned thing too, I have received no warranty whatsoever through the dealer I bought it through, and this trailer has _NEVER_ seen any summer-time use on dirt roads.

It goes down the highway in the winter to the lot to unload sleds and that's it.

Mirage is complete garbage.

swikertrob

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
www.miragetrailers.com
I can't possibly see how a Wells Cargo could be any worse than a Mirage.

I have a 2007 16' Mirage Snow-Extreme and it's a shoddy hunk of junk.

The d-rings have popped out, the freaking axle assembly has bent, the spare tire mount has come loose, the screws in the floor look like a retard on LSD screwed them in, they're all crooked....there are gaps in the floor you can see light through.

I paid $7,000 for that damned thing too, I have received no warranty whatsoever through the dealer I bought it through, and this trailer has _NEVER_ seen any summer-time use on dirt roads.

It goes down the highway in the winter to the lot to unload sleds and that's it.

Mirage is complete garbage.

Mirage has a three year warranty on their units, if the dealer is not helping you with your trailer issues call Curtis at Mirage Direct at 208-461-7776. Curtis will take care of you.

F

Flange509

Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
I bought an Interstate last year after my two place got totaled in a rearend and am very happy with it. Its an allsport 28' model thats lowered into the wheels. Its heavy with a big beams but pulls very nice and I know cause I had it on the nastiest roads i've ever seen last year in Wyoming.Truck was sliding everywhere with the wind and ice but the trailer didnt budge. Haven't had a single issue with the trailer, even made it through a nasty hail storm this summer without a dent.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Mirage?

I don't own an enclosed trailer. I can't tell what one is good. But I can tell you, a friend of mine bought a Mirage last year. It is very nice. But, Just knowing the problems he had, I would look elsewhere. I don't want to bash, but he had some unexcusable problems. Thats all........00's

D

dlingle61

Nov 26, 2007
C.Falls,MT
I have a 07 21' Mirage. Half way through last season the paint fell off the outside and on the inside. the plywood in the floor started to seperate and now there are soft spots in it. My dealer told me to change out the floor and he would help pay for it but nothing on the paint.

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
i have had both

i bought a 2002 28ft wells cargo, wanted a taller roof so I sold it and went to a mirage with a 6'6" tall ceiling
The Mirage was brutal my first gravel road I opened the door and no kidding 2-3" of dust all over EVERYTHING!!!
Same roads I travelled with my MWells Cargo, plastic on the tops fell apart, etc...
Sold the Mirage after one year, never again.
I now own a Featherlite, loaded up....never lookin back....
you certainly get what you pay for and there is a reason the Mirage is cheaper priced than the wells cargo

my opinion of course.

B

Premium Features