• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

helmet cam mounting

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I am going to be getting a Vio-sport helmet cam system.

Question for those that have mounted helmet cams.
Where is the best place to mount them?

I do a lot of tight tree running and such. So...........
under the visor? How much does it interfere with vision?
Over visor? I am worried about beating it up on branches and stuff.
Side of the helmet? How much does it interfere with the camera vision?

What is the best way to keep the cable from getting caught on branches and such? Do you run it between the helmet and the helmet liner?? Duct tape?

Any serious responces would be appriciated.
Thanks

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
I run a couple camera's. One is mounted on my helmet, and you have to consider that your head bobs around far more than you realize. You can get sick watching the video. I tried both side mounts, and top mounts for my helmet. Both work, although I prefer the top mount as the field of view is improved. I ended up duct taping the cable to my helmet, and running it into the jacket at the neck. I keep the DVR in my pocket. Works well.

The second camera gets mounted to the sleds. Much better, and less pukeage when watching the video later. I also don't have to think about my head postion, or worry about ripping the camera off on the moving tree's. Google RAM mounts, as they make the best adjustable mounts.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I liked the side mount... I think you can see it on my avatar picture. The lower the better, as you can get more of the sled in the field of view, gives a better perspective then the floating head sense that you get with mounting it on top. I am almost 6 ft tall though, so that might have something to do with it.

The best footage I got with the thing, is of someone else, with me filming them on the helmet cam. IMO, that is what helmet cams should be used for, or best used for. You can get awesome shots of people if you follow 10-15 feet back, and over a couple of sled lengths. It takes a little while to get the angles right, but the results are really good.

I will see if I can get a little vid put together that shows it in a couple of days.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Taking shot of someone else is kind of what I was thinking. It would be difficult to get a frame of reference when you are just riding. I am going to try, but I don't know if it will show up good or not.

THis is totally new to me so any info is great.
I hadn't thought about mounting it real low on the side of the helmet. That would take a LOT of the head bob out. Being 6'2" I don't think it would be a problem. Makes running the cable easier also. Less chance of catching it on stuff. I am planning on putting the recording unit inside my coat rather than a backpack so I should be able to completely conseal the cable.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
You should note that most helmet cams have fairly wide angle lenses. Anything past 30 feet will start to look small on the tv/screen. So you need to be fairly close.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
ok, cool.
that kind of leads me to the next question.
What should you NOT do?
What don't you want to do?

The vio-cam has a 110 degree field of view, so I will be playing with it for a while to get used to it.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
What should you do?
What should you NOT do?

I assume you meant the above?

Do setup the camera ahead of time and use it.
Do walk around with it, aim it, get the velcro or whatever mount outlined on your helmet so you can repeat the attachment location easily.
Do check footage frequently
Do neatly pack the wiring and harness, leaving extra wire so you can take your helmet off with out choking yourself (that is the big advantage to the all in one devices that don't need wires... cause you will leave something unplugged, I guarantee it!)
Do check footage frequently (yes I am repeating myself, but it is important)
Do recharge batteries all the time. Note that rechargables normally operate at a lower voltage and therefore you might need more to get to 12 volts or so.
Do turn it on and off to ease the amount of editing that later has to be done.
Do use it to film other people.
Do get your act together for using it / setting it up. Sledders hate waiting for people when there is fresh snow out there.
Do sacrifice your ride to get the shots. You might not have as much fun, but you have to be somewhat more focused on the video then on the actual riding.
Do try and plan things out for footage with other riders.
Do figure on using about an 1/8 of the footage you take. The rest will look good, but not worth spending the time to put into a movie...

Don't assume you got the whole days worth of footage without ever checking it. Nothing worse then thinking you got all these excellent shots, only to find that you have 2 hours of snowmobile noises and a black picture. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: That fricken sucks when that happens
Don't use it to only film yourself. Size definition sucks especially in low light, and you think something looks really cool and you got it, but really you end up looking like a spode, and deleting in anyways. Or you keep it for yourself and keep telling yourself how much larger it was and how cool and good of a rider you are. :p
Don't assume it is working, because it isn't and you will get the black screen like above...
Don't assume your fellow riders care anything about what you are trying to do, even though most of the footage will be of them, and they are the ones YOU will be watching....
Don't be upset when you make a plan for filming and no one listens to you and then they all leave to go to the next play area while you are screwing with your setup cause you took your helmet off and left something unconnected.

I hope this helps.. I have been thinking about the VholdR one, that does the compression to the card. Nice simple, no wires. Have I mentioned I hate wires? :p I had a setup mounted to a canon video camera... I didn't use it at all last year if that tells you anything about my type of setup. Plus I also lost the ability to use the canon as I didn't want to take the cables apart...

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
The unit Ollie is getting/looking at is a 1 wire from lens to head unit.

One and only one connectiong. I've seen some of the older 'build your own' kits and can understand the wiring mess those turn into.

The only thing is you still have that 'one wire' for when u pull off your helmet to dig out or to just breathe, and you have to dink w/ a cable attached to your person.. Thats my only concern still.

A quick disconnect, that is not at the cam or the head unit would be preferable...but...

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
The whole camera, video camera setup is what I am trying to avoid.

That is why I was looking at the Vio-POV1. Self contained. Yea, there are wires, but only one. Has the wireless remote and from what I have been able to find out takes pretty darn good video. The big plus, actaully water proof. Not unusuall for me to be up to my eyeballs all day in snow. Lost one camera already before I learned.

I am not really sold on the VholdR. I would like to see one and do a little more research on em. The one big draw back I can see with it is no remote. I like the idea of being able to record on the fly with a simple push of a remote. A lot of times I am not going to stop to turn the thing on, or you see something good about to happen and you have to stop and fumble with it to turn it on.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
A quick disconnect, that is not at the cam or the head unit would be preferable...but...

That is a good idea. I think I will look into using my 10 years exp. doing video and fiber splicing and see if I can find something that will do just that. Hard mount it to the helmet so I can simply unplug my helmet when I take it off.

Good idea.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Helmet Cam 101 IMO

Everything everyone said is already is good stuff. Personally I just take a roll of duct tape, go with people that are patient and change it around as much as possible, continually checking and experimenting. I usually will burn 60 minutes and get maybe 2-5 minutes of usable footage, just how it is. Which some days really sucks when you spent a whole day filming "missing the pow" and only get 2 minutes, or worse nothing. I duct tape the hell out of my wires, duct tape the power button on, duct tape the mic misc weird places, ect..

Change it up! Nothing is more boring than a 5 minute helmet cam vid of the same angle. I really don't suggest a fixed mount, soon all your vids will look the same. And watch out for 2hr blackout. Man I got some that footy! Check and check again.

If the cam you get has replaceable lens, get some. Three or four $20 pieces of replacement glass/or UV lens will save you bucks in the long run. You will take a tree limb in the lens.. eventually.

Truely the best helmet cam footage I've ever shot was a cam duct taped to the rear fender of my dirt bike with my buddy chasing me, like as close as possible.

Like ruffy, I didn't use it once on the sled much last season. Days were to good and I wasn't willing to fuss with the setup. I tend to use it more for motocross and other dryier sports where it's easier to get the setup right. Something to be said for those all in one units.

This season I'm committing to forcing myself to film some, early season is always good for getting ideas and stuff dialed when you don't wanna ride off trail anyways. I'd like to try experimenting with cam on rear tunnel facing backwards, slide by the with the ski in frame, stuff like that. Hopefully I'll slow down enough next season to film some with it.

In the end, I've found the Helmet cam footage usually makes pretty good "filler" but the real goods start from being stationary(ish), picking your spot, angles, and planning way in advance.

Have fun!

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Hopefully I'll slow down enough next season to film some with it.

Were gonna have to blow some days and do a little filming session... Seeing what works and what doesn't... kinda geek out on cameras and such...

Premium Features