• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

when is a 120 to small?

M
Nov 21, 2007
cando, nd
Typically at what age have your kids been ready to move on from a 120? Will the new arctic cat 200 bridge a gap? My boy is 7 and tall for his age. The 120 seems slow and boring for him. The new 200 is suppose to go 30 mph and a longer track with 1" lugs.

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
7 is about the limit on a stock 120 for sure. Go for the new AC 200 or a skidoo 300 freestyle to get a few more years of riding out of it.

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
The new ZR200 looks neat but I bet it would only hold him a couple years. The 93" track at 10" wide isn't much flotation. A Freestyle or modding an older small sled would probably get him to his teens.

The old Yamahas are popular and cheap but need some track length and lug to follow Dad off trail when there is some good snow.

Bravo 250
Ovation, Enticer, Exciter 340
Phazer 480 (the 136" is darn near a turn-key big-kids mountain sled.)
Polaris Indy Lite 340

The Ovation 340 LE has e-start, grip warmers and a 34" ski stance. We added a Phazer 136 skid and track.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Typically at what age have your kids been ready to move on from a 120? Will the new arctic cat 200 bridge a gap? My boy is 7 and tall for his age. The 120 seems slow and boring for him. The new 200 is suppose to go 30 mph and a longer track with 1" lugs.

The day you bought it.

Seriously though it depends on the kid but by age 6 I've had all my children and grandchildren riding 340's. The 120's are way too small for other than put putting around in the front yard. I'm interested to see the new sno scoot. It's about time. I cant imagine a kid over about age 10 riding one though.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
My daughter is 10 and she's been too big for it for the past year. My 4 is having a blast on it on stock trim tho. He's jumping and brake sliding around the school yard. I won't take him on a trail ride until his hands get bigger and stronger.

If I was trying to keep my 10 occupied on the 120 I would have upgraded drivers, motor, gearing, and clutch long ago. But with her brother coming up we kept it stock and have her on a 440 fan now. I looked forever for a Indy Lite I wanted to mod out for her but trying to find one in decent condition around my area is downright impossible. I ended up finding one but it's in so good of shape(and 2-up) I can't bare to mod it out. It's our little ice fishing/tobagganing machine.

My 4 will get the 120 upgrades but nothing overboard. New gearing and a clutch, new drivers and a rear shock. I've seen that alone get around 20mph out of the stock mill. I couldn't get on the sled and have fun, but my 50lb son is a demon on his cousins sled that has those minimal mods. Scary infact. And also why his stays stock for this season at least. Next year drivers and a rear shock w/ no governor will be enough. After that gearing and a clutch. Maybe some handlebars and risers. But that's as far as I'll go with 120's.

I'd love to longtrack one and do a tunnel etc but I don't want a 10k 120 by the time I'm done. My 4 has a new brother just born so a quick gear and governor swap and it's basically stock again. Just right to start over again. Plus the additional cost of the mods does nothing for resale value. May make it sell faster, but not for a higher price. So no point in trying to stretch it out for an extra few years.

I'd love one of these but the wife and wallet say no dice.

attachment.php

He's my dude on his stocker....altho I had to put skis on it....lol

attachment.php

046.JPG 16729425_10155001849387389_1417858483783266162_n.jpg

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
dumb answer

Here's a dumb answer to your question:

Q: When is a 120 too small?

A: As soon as your kid would rather ride and has more fun on the next biggest sled you own.

The better answer is this: I think that 200 is absolutely perfect for your 7 year old right now and for the next few years.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I hope a bunch of guys buy them but I imagine they won't. $3,750 is pretty pricey for a youth sled. I'd like to pick one up for my granddaughter. I have two modded Indy Lite 340's now and man are they neat! The kids can pretty much go wherever they are willing to try. The only problem is my 5 year old granddaughter has been hanging out on my sled for so long now I'm afraid to turn her loose on one of the 340's next season. She's a speed/jump/hillclimb/sidehill junkie and the 340's have a little too much speed for me to be comfortable with her on it alone. Wish there was going to be a ton of used 200's to pick from but there just aren't going to be.
We've started all the kids/grandkids on the 340's by age 7.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I would like to see as many people get the new Cat 200 as possible. Show the manufacturers that there's a market for this type of sled.

I would too and agree with you. But who would drop 4 grand with tax on that?
If you take your kids riding these new ones are like taking a modded 120.

To the question, depends how well the kid drives and if you take them on all day rides or just do laps.
7 and 8 was when my boys started following on big sleds rather than ride with us. They didn't have 120s. At that age they'd ride all day but were whipped from a days ride. And a lot of it was a slowww ride.
Now at 10 and 14 they do pretty well.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think the price point should have been $2,999. Changing that first number from 3 to 2 is a much easier sell to the misses!

snowmow

Premium Features