• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 m8 Ltd tether options

M
Feb 11, 2019
B.C. Canada
Looking to see if anyone has put the new magnetic tether the 2019s come with? I currently dont have one at all and I know the old style ones can be problematic, just wondering if anyone has retrofitted the new style yet and if it's easy to wire up?

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
I have a pro armor, it is pretty good, but I break those little plastic keys. I have a magnetic one I got off Amazon for $35 sitting here that was supposed to be a panel mount for another sled, but I will probably replace the pro armor tether on my main sled with this magnetic one so I don't have to fiddle with that stupid pro armor key

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
The easiest thing to do is splice into the harness on the bars. I have a 2016 M8, it's easier than trying to get one of those plug and play setups. My brother had to take his fuel tank off to get to the connector.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Redline Performance Shark Tether

Google it. They took the Doo tester and made it universal for all sleds. Best out there for us. A little pricey, but when have you ever heard of a Doo tether fail?? Never

M
Feb 11, 2019
B.C. Canada
I actually found a retrofit kit from OFT, about $100. I searched and searched before but was unable to find something? weird how it came up now, you buy the 18/19 tether kit then buy their conversion harness that plugs into the ignition at the key, all plug and play!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
watch out the plugs can short. I prefer the hard wire method, cheap reliable.

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
If the purple and red wire is connected to the black wire, it will kill the sled. It's dead simple, just get a normally open tether and splice one wire to ground and one to purple/red like here. I got it opened up to replace the pro armor with a generic magnetic one off Amazon.
783a7345dbd280e0dd96d75449a978f1.jpg
5ccddb46a3ab6dfe699120df31d10068.jpg
d25af7932ae982fb869533bf173bf83e.jpg

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Thanks guys, I've already ordered the 18/19 factory cat tether, and OFT racing adapter harness, wont have to cut any wires, all in for $115

Let us know how it works. I have the Pro Armor also mounted in a similar fashion to the one pictured above and the issue I have is snow and ice can get stuck in mine and then it doesn't work when the tether pulls out. I have been thinking the new magnetic tether would be nice.

M
Feb 11, 2019
B.C. Canada
Let us know how it works. I have the Pro Armor also mounted in a similar fashion to the one pictured above and the issue I have is snow and ice can get stuck in mine and then it doesn't work when the tether pulls out. I have been thinking the new magnetic tether would be nice.

Will do, should hopefully have it by this weekend

M
Feb 11, 2019
B.C. Canada
So I'm pleased to say I got the tether and harness kit installed today, was very simple, had to pull all the panels off and the piece that goes around the filler neck, drilled a hole and mounted it beside the steering post, then the harness loops over and Tees in with the ignition cylinder for the key, havent used it on the mountain yet, but seems to work good in the shop! I'm new here so idk how to upload photos via my phone

S
Feb 19, 2020
So I'm pleased to say I got the tether and harness kit installed today, was very simple, had to pull all the panels off and the piece that goes around the filler neck, drilled a hole and mounted it beside the steering post, then the harness loops over and Tees in with the ignition cylinder for the key, havent used it on the mountain yet, but seems to work good in the shop! I'm new here so idk how to upload photos via my phone

I'm looking at doing this conversion on my sled. Have you figured out how to upload pics yet? I would like to see where you mounted the new tether. Did you just drill the hole bigger from where the factory tether was?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I ripped off the DEWK plate that TKI made to put these on polaris sleds.

I just used a piece of black anodized angle aluminum and bolted it on the underside of the riser clamp. I'll take a pic when I get home.

I've got holes all over my sled from where I mounted the AC tether when I first got it. There really is no good place on the proclimb chassis. In between the air box intakes causes it to get caught and not pull off when falling off to the side. Down by the gas cap exposes it to knee hits.

S
Feb 19, 2020
I ripped off the DEWK plate that TKI made to put these on polaris sleds.

I just used a piece of black anodized angle aluminum and bolted it on the underside of the riser clamp. I'll take a pic when I get home.

I've got holes all over my sled from where I mounted the AC tether when I first got it. There really is no good place on the proclimb chassis. In between the air box intakes causes it to get caught and not pull off when falling off to the side. Down by the gas cap exposes it to knee hits.
(y)

I look forward to your pics. Thanks

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
dook.jpg

Here's the layout I copied

Mine's offset to the left to stay out of the way of the pull rope.

S
Feb 19, 2020
View attachment 340694

Here's the layout I copied

Mine's offset to the left to stay out of the way of the pull rope.
NIce, thank you for the info. Is that 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle?

Premium Features