• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Not getting oil down low (03' ZX800)

Oct 19, 2010
I have a freshly rebuilt motor in my 2003 ZX Summit 800. Piston blew last year and I had a local guy rebuild the motor for me. I put the motor back in the sled myself. It runs fine but I can see a major Problem. The oiler tube shown in the picture is not pressurizing with oil when its running. I have run it probably twice for about 20 seconds. I sure don't want to blow it again.

I have been told that there is some kind of valve or switch on the back of the motor that I can manually hold open to allow oil to push through the oiler tubes. I haven't found that lever yet (if it exists).

This came to mind today: See the black sealant used for gasket material where the cylinders connect the lower case? Could that have oozed into the inner oiler hole and clogged it? I am at a loss guys. Please help!!

Thanks,

A1000001756.JPG A1000001757.JPG

B
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, Colorado
Not good. Pull the hose off and blow some air in there to see if its open. Run the sled at idle (preferably with some oil in the gas) and hold the oil pump lever wide open. It should start moving oil through the line. If not then the supply to the oil pump or the oil pump itself has an issue. Hope that helps.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
IMO, the last 2 motors we did I was told to replace those brass fittings that the oil lines connect to because they are a one way valve and if something gets in to them oil won't pump through them. very cheap and easy to do. But like BOO said take a hose and connect it to the fitting try blowing through it and then sucking through it to make sure the valve is working the way it should. If they are then use a long screw driver or something similar to reach down to were the cable hooks on to the oil pump and hold it wide open while running the motor at a idle, should pump all the air out and flow oil. If it doesn't then you have problems up stream ect. oil pump or else where. All easy things to check and will save a motor. Hope this helps

B
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, Colorado
IMO, the last 2 motors we did I was told to replace those brass fittings that the oil lines connect to because they are a one way valve and if something gets in to them oil won't pump through them. very cheap and easy to do. But like BOO said take a hose and connect it to the fitting try blowing through it and then sucking through it to make sure the valve is working the way it should. If they are then use a long screw driver or something similar to reach down to were the cable hooks on to the oil pump and hold it wide open while running the motor at a idle, should pump all the air out and flow oil. If it doesn't then you have problems up stream ect. oil pump or else where. All easy things to check and will save a motor. Hope this helps

I didnt know they are one way valves good info!!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yea, one way just incase a backfire or something happens it won't push the oil back the wrong way and cause air in the system

Oct 19, 2010
Thank you for the info guys. I am going to try and pop that thing off and see if air will move through it...Where is the oil pump lever? I'm having trouble locating it. Anyone know of a link to a good exploded view of this area of the motor?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Lake, Colorado
Thank you for the info guys. I am going to try and pop that thing off and see if air will move through it...Where is the oil pump lever? I'm having trouble locating it. Anyone know of a link to a good exploded view of this area of the motor?

Sorry no pic but its on the front of the engine below the carbs.

Wait your #2 picture has it in there you can see the lever!!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sorry no pic but its on the front of the engine below the carbs.

Wait your #2 picture has it in there you can see the lever!!

I never saw it till you said something but yes, the pump is what the cable is hooked to. Matter of fact the 2 hoses that connect to those fittings go to the pump. You had to have hooked them it up to but the motor in.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Oil

The sealant you mentioned should not have an effect unless there is an extreme amout used and it falls in just the right place - highly unlikely.

Make sure the oil pump is primed and all bubbles in the line leading to the pump are bleed out. You may need to remove the carbs to get this accomplished.

One quart of oil in the first tank (10+ gallons) would not be a bad idea either if you are really worried about the oil pump function. One pint in the tank is the normal recomendation for a new engine.

L
Feb 16, 2008
Always mix first couple tanks 50 to 1 with mineral oil...No Synthetic to breakin.
Oil pump lever is just visible in #2 picture just up from from the injector line.

Oct 19, 2010
Thank guys! I guess I had a brain fart when I was looking for that lever. I knew it acted in sync with the throttle but I guess I was looking for something else. This thread has been a great help, thanks to all those who replied!

Premium Features