• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patriot boost oil

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
From Motocross.com— Two- stroke principals still apply. Some differences with injection versus pre-mix. Murph

Pre-mix 101

OK, looks like it's time for a little pre-mix 101. I don't usually get into ratio discussions, because mix ratios are like religions to most people, and they tend to be closed-minded on the subject, but I'll put in my $.02 here anyway.

There is a prevailing myth that less oil is better, and that the oil in the fuel is what lubricates the engine. Both are wrong.

*less oil is better* People think that if they have a plug fouling problem or a lot of spooge, they need to run less oil. Wrong! Both problems are caused by rich jetting, and have nothing to do with the mix ratio.

*the oil in the fuel is what lubricates the engine* The engine is lubricated by the residual oil that builds up in the crankcase. All the oil in the fuel does is replenish this oil.

The best way to determine if you are running enough oil is to check the level of the residual oil in the crankcase. If the ratio you run leaves enough residual oil in the crankcase to cover about 1/8" of the bottom of the crank wheels, then you are fine. If you don't have that much residual oil in your crankcase when you pull the top-end off, you aren't running enough oil for your riding style and conditions.

With that said, to have that amount of residual oil in the crankcase at 50:1 (a ratio made popular by magazines and oil bottles), you can't be riding very hard, or your bike is jetted richer than necessary simply to deliver enough oil. I arrived at 26:1 for my bike with my riding style because that is the amount that gives me the proper amount of residual build-up. Small-bore engines require greater oil concentrations than larger engines to achieve the proper amount of residual build-up, because they rev higher and have higher intake velocities. Along the same lines, someone that pushes the engine harder, and keeps the revs higher, also needs to use higher oil concentrations to achieve the proper residual build-up.

To understand why the residual oil is so important, you have to understand what happens to the oil in your fuel when it goes into the engine. While the oil is still suspended in the liquid gasoline, it can not lubricate anything. It has about as much lubricity at that point as straight gasoline. When the gasoline enters the engine, it evaporates, dropping the oil out of suspension. Now that the oil is free, it can lubricate the engine, but it must get to the parts to lubricate them. The way it gets to the bearings and onto the cylinder is by being thrown around as a mist by the spinning crankshaft, and the droplets are distributed by the air currents moving through the engine. Ever wonder why there are two small holes in the transfer port area of the crankcase, right over the main bearings? These are to allow some of the oil droplets being flung around inside the engine to drip down into the main bearing area.

Some of the oil eventually makes it into the combustion chamber, where it is either burned, or passes out the exhaust. If the combustion chamber temps are too low, such as in an engine that is jetted too rich, the oil doesn't burn completely. Instead, some of it hardens into deposits in the combustion chamber, on the piston, and on the power valve assembly. The rest becomes the dreaded "spooge". The key to all of this working in harmony is to jet the bike lean enough to achieve a high enough combustion chamber temperature to burn the oil, but also still be able to supply enough oil to protect the engine. If you use enough oil, you can jet the bike at it's optimum without starving the engine of oil, and have excellent power, with minimal deposits and spooge. At 50:1, you simply can't jet very lean without risking a seized engine due to oil starvation, unless you're just putt-putting around on trails without putting the engine under much load.

With the high oil concentrations that I use, I tend to get far more life from my cranks and rings than most of my friends that run leaner oil ratios. The high oil content also produces better ring sealing, so more of the combustion pressure is retained.

One small point. No one ever broke an engine by using too much oil.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
Not my words (pulled from a dirtbike forum)—-BUT theories analyzed on a dyno under controlled conditions. In world championship motorcycle racing I work with telemetry and empirical data all day long. In my professional life, if it’s not repeatable/ or measurable it’s BS.

(Again— not my words below)

Pre-mix ratios and power production

I have run Dyno tests on this subject. We used a Dynojet dynamometer, and used a fresh, broken in top-end for each test. We used specially calibrated jets to ensure the fuel flow was identical with each different ratio, and warmed the engine at 3000 rpm for 3 minutes before each run. Our tests were performed in the rpm range of 2500 to 9000 rpm, with the power peak of our test bike (a modifed '86 YZ 250, mine) occuring at 8750 rpm. We tested at 76 degrees F, at 65% relative humidity. We started at 10:1, and went to 100:1. Our results showed that a two-stroke engine makes its best power at 18:1. Any more oil than that, and the engine ran poorly, because we didn't have any jets rich enough to compensate for that much oil in the fuel, and the burn-characteristics of the fuel with that much oil tended to be poor. The power loss from 18:1 to 32:1 was approximately 2 percent. The loss from 18:1 to 50:1 was nearly 9 percent. On a modern 250, that can be as much as 4 horsepower. The loss from 18:1 to 100:1 was nearly 18 percent. The reason for the difference in output is simple. More oil provides a better seal between the ring and the cylinder wall.

Now, I realize that 18:1 is impractical unless you ride your engine all-out, keeping it pinned at all times. But running reasonable ratios no less than 32:1 will produce more power, and give your engine better protection, thus making it perform better for longer.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
At least a couple decades ago a thorough test was done, I think by Poo, that clearly found more oil resulted in higher hp for sled race motors, down to about 15:1, on a pre-mix test motor, contrary to the less-oil-is-better trend. Recommended for racers. Ring sealing was deemed one of the primary reasons, among others. This was early and maybe pre-power valves. Consistent with the prior dirt bike post.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Do you fog your motor in the off season? Never thought about putting a cold motor in the garage, although mine isnt heated, I usually let it warm up some before pulling it off the truck. Agreed, they have to be taken care of.
Yes for non-DI motors. Used doo's 'summerization' routine when I had DI. On the poo, you can mod the air box to make it abit easier season to season if you aren't interested in pulling the air box every spring. Easiest on an AC twin.

Still lost a rod bearing, without toasting the entire motor, on a ported and head cut summit 800ho motor that was fogged the prior summer - chalked that up to the oil and trailer moisture (low detergent, low corrosion resistant race oil - dominator). Caught it on the trail ride to the truck before it seized and wore a hole in the case (was losing power like DPM wasn't working, was actually losing compression from the stroke being hosed), pulled a plug with the tell-tale silver, shut it down and towed it home. Figured it out at the tear down. Ended up getting it rebuilt, but it didn't grenade or destroy the head. Lucky it wasn't in a sheet hole at the time. I wouldn't have likely noticed or would have had to run it out.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Good article Murph. I had a TR 180 dirt bike growing up and tried to shoot for 25:1 on it, always treated me good. Direct oil injection vs. straight gas/oil mixing is a big difference but I would assume that the ratios should be close-ish. Would be interesting to see how long a patriot 850 or cleanfire 800 would last with straight gas/oil mix (no oil injection). Does anyone do this? Just my twisted curious brain grinding gears

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
c43cdbec3eb0aa93c1660ae12d8644a4.jpg

2020 XCR 840 at 1500 miles.
stock map
Extreme Oil
26:1 total injection ratio

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
7402b03201c5bd2af7a3136d856e0767.jpg

60b572d7f6ed7933f6c2d1b070e483ef.jpg

2002 BRP Seadoo XP 951cc carb
bought new in 2003
Polaris VES Gold since 2003
1000+ hours
ski has never been taken apart.
50:1 injection ratio

Love it! Lets ride!

C
Jan 14, 2020
My chainsaw runs like crap on 20:1 but stellar at 45:1. I assume it must be just running too rich?

Running lean at 20:1. Increased fuel viscosity and probably not jetted to compensate for both 2% loss in fuel and thicker viscosity.
2002 BRP Seadoo XP 951cc carb
bought new in 2003
Polaris VES Gold since 2003
1000+ hours
ski has never been taken apart.
50:1 injection ratio

Love it! Lets ride!
The typical gearhead who will no matter what, with undoubtable information, will not change their mind.

The 951 xpl turns 6700-7000 rpm. it doesnt need any more than 50:1....

The black sled plugs are from running too cold of combustion temps, not too much oil..

Anyways fun thread. Total derailment like usual. :)

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Gasoline is not measured using viscosity. Oil is.

The required oil mix ratio is directly proportional to fuel volume burned in the engine.

Fuel volume burned is directly proportional to air volume moved through engine.

Larger CC displacement = higher airflow volumes, which requires more fuel for optimum exhaust temp. More oil is transferred to rotating assembly because there is more fuel.

Smaller displacement engines use higher oil ratios because there is simply less fuel being consumed due to reduced air flow volume. Less fuel means less oil is transferred. Much less, so you must increase the amount of oil to keep rotating parts lubricated sufficiently.

IE
28cc string trimmer mix 32:1
800cc snowmobile engine at 50:1

Engine RPM does not change oil mix requirement at all. Engine displacement does.

The complication has come with newer ECU controlled oil pumps and the location of fuel injectors. The oil pumps now target specific bearings and are controlled by ECU mapping. Since fuel injector is in transfer port you can not simply pre-mix like older 2-strokes. Too much oil being pumped via ecu map puddles in crankcase. It does not mix properly due to lack of fuel wash in crank case. Oil splashes in crankcase then transfers to combustion chamber in slugs which fouls plugs.

I think Polaris was going the right direction with the CF-4 in that it had (2) crankcase mounted injectors to provide the fuel wash. However that engine had significant ecu mapping issues also. So back to twin injectors they went.

Discussion is on topic referencing approximate total oil volume these sleds should use. Using 1/3 gallon of Extreme oil per fill up is certainly on topic. Especially considering the cost of the oil.

spark plugs shown above are from 840 engine referenced in subject topic.

BRP engine management is far superior and has allowed them to significantly reduce oil consumption to bare minimum targeting exact oiling locations. (roughly 75:1)

Polaris tech has been lacking in this dept. Hopefully the new management system will be as good. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FWIW, CFI-4 was quickly dropped by poo because it didn't work - the changeover could not be managed by the injectors, and may have been a physics issue - the transition burble was inevitable and unresolvable in a high rpm motor. The primary driver at the time for CFI-4 was the extremely high likelihood of IP litigation by doo - copying doo's SDI (which doo dropped for DI), per more than one poo engineer. You can't argue with DI - BRP has the corner on engine management (which they bought from Evinrude). But they do blow up, too.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
We have gone way off the rails, but I like it for the basics of understanding 2 strokes. Engine rpm and size are important as is the injection system, comparing efi to carb. Comparing a chainsaw to a snowmobile is apples to oranges. I'm slowly being convinced to run extreme to save a headache. 2-6% more oil than a n/a motor, how much does the tunes from other turbo manufacturers increase oiling?

C
Nov 19, 2009
BRP engines are injecting way less. 65-80:1 total injection. Using 1/3 of a gallon every fill up is terrible! Polaris needs to get mapping figured out. Good luck with new engine management system. I sure hope it works well.
On the trail maybe
If you ride them hard guys put int 2-3lt of oil for 40 ltr of gas

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
BRP engines are injecting way less. 65-80:1 total injection. Using 1/3 of a gallon every fill up is terrible! Polaris needs to get mapping figured out. Good luck with new engine management system. I sure hope it works well.
LMAO, have you not been around a lot of new DOO 850s? those sleds DRINK oil. like everything with an electronic pump the harder our riding it the more its going to use as its in the higher oil parts of the map.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
BRP engine management is far superior and has allowed them to significantly reduce oil consumption to bare minimum targeting exact oiling locations. (roughly 75:1)

Polaris tech has been lacking in this dept. Hopefully the new management system will be as good. Fingers crossed
This is a bunch of crap as every 850 Doo I ride with goes through more oil than my 840 Polaris. Maybe trail riding but not when pushing hard for sure.

C
Jan 14, 2020
Smaller displacement engines use higher oil ratios because there is simply less fuel being consumed due to reduced air flow volume. Less fuel means less oil is transferred. Much less, so you must increase the amount of oil to keep rotating parts lubricated sufficiently.BRP engine management is far superior and has allowed them to significantly reduce oil consumption to bare minimum targeting exact oiling locations. (roughly 75:1)

emoji1695.png
This is a bunch of crap as every 850 Doo I ride with goes through more oil than my 840 Polaris. Maybe trail riding but not when pushing hard for sure.
Yeah, mentzel is just plain wrong here.

Mixed fuel has greater viscosity than non mixed fuel, and he's saying fuel DOESNT have a viscosity. Which means larger jets not just to compensate for the lower % of fuel in a 50:1 to 32:1 mix, but the increased viscosity.
Every liquid phase substance in the galaxy has a viscosity.

Dude, Mentzel, nitro rc cars at 30,000 rpm use 10:1 ratio. Racing two strokes, especially 2t road race bikes near 12,000 rpm, run like 18:1. Cr500's run 40:1 just fine. run 40 or 50:1 in a 125 2T thats wrapped out and you'll grenade the engine in a weekend, rpm lives matter. Dunno why you are writing weird stuff about oil not mixing in injected crankcases but then it splashes up the port into the plug and fouls it??? These engines still have 4 injectors to spray the bottom end for cooling and extra fuel at like what, DOO uses bottom injectors at above 6000 rpm?

wack.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Yeah, mentzel is just plain wrong here.

Mixed fuel has greater viscosity than non mixed fuel, and he's saying fuel DOESNT have a viscosity. Which means larger jets not just to compensate for the lower % of fuel in a 50:1 to 32:1 mix, but the increased viscosity.
Every liquid phase substance in the galaxy has a viscosity.

Dude, Mentzel, nitro rc cars at 30,000 rpm use 10:1 ratio. Racing two strokes, especially 2t road race bikes near 12,000 rpm, run like 18:1. Cr500's run 40:1 just fine. run 40 or 50:1 in a 125 2T thats wrapped out and you'll grenade the engine in a weekend, rpm lives matter. Dunno why you are writing weird stuff about oil not mixing in injected crankcases but then it splashes up the port into the plug and fouls it??? These engines still have 4 injectors to spray the bottom end for cooling and extra fuel at like what, DOO uses bottom injectors at above 6000 rpm?

wack.

You are right about one thing.. nitro methane / alcohol cars turning 30k rpms are pretty cool. Not sure how that applies to gasoline snowmobiles.. but nitro cars (all sizes) are indeed pretty awesome!

Viscosity for oil
Specific Gravity for gasoline

The measurements you are looking for.

Can you build a wack nitro sled that will beat a Patriot Boost? If so you redeem yourself.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Back on topic… Why on earth would you run any other oil than what Polaris recommends to run? That is the first question you will be asked on any warranty claim. Easy out for MFGR to void warranty on engine parts. (Not the right oil your fault)

Both Polaris oils are great oils IMO.

I would love to see some engine fatigue and wear tests using Extreme oil at very low injection rates. (say 100:1) I’ll bet it would do very well even leaned out.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I figured that's the response I would get. I'm pretty sure Polaris doesn't recommend putting any aftermarket product on or in your machine but we do for benefits. Do you put the recommended product in or on everything that you own? I know people that have a good dealer and run aftermarket turbos and still get warranty work.

Was hopeful to learn something, not get ridiculed for "not following the manual". Should just delete this since i probably worded it wrong and it's viewed as a "what oil should I use".

Premium Features