• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying an HD camera

A

A4pdot

Jan 30, 2008
North Vancouver
What camera's do they use?

I looked around and didn't find anything on what equipment they are using when shooting these movies, ie forecast, slednecks and such. Can you point me in the right direction?

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
IMO, That's overkill, i've seen great video shot with lower end 3CCD HDV cameras. Take a look at the Sony HDR-FX1000 for example.

I'm not saying that's what you should buy, I haven't paid much attention over the last few years because everything is so good already, but I don't think you need to spend 9K for a camera to make a snowmobile video, maybe more like 3K.

But hey, whatever you spend make make sure the video ends up on youtube.

Mark

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
what are your plans for this thing? what are you using now? i can guarantee that it is twice the camera that any current sled videos are shot with. the only way you would see that in the backcountry is in a helicopter. even at that, its overkill. mud99 recommends a good camera, and the $3k-$5k price range should get you a full package setup that can rival ANY current sled production out there.

S

SNOWPSYCHOS

Jan 9, 2008
Colorado / Wyoming
I have a Sony HDR-FX1000 in great shape. I bought it last Dec and only used it a few times. I just don't use it anymore. I also have a Pelican case for it. I have around $4,000 in it, but would be willing to make ya a good deal.
Call me if you're interested.
303-588-0966

Premium Features