• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pulled cords on a 2013!!!

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
I know everyone is sick of reading and responding to all these clutch threads but im looling for help and making sure im not missing something simple.

I have a 2013 LE 162". I broke the belt in with about 60 miles of easy riding with no WOT. The sled is all stock and the way it came from the dealer with no mods other than the MBRP can and Mod Rod vents. After 150 miles the belt was riding low on the secondary. I used the creep method to add a shim to where the secondary and track would just barely move when the back of the sled was elevated. While riding in the trees with the snow over the bumper and hood I stopped to check the clutch temps. The primary shive was at 200f at the crank center line and 180f on the farthest outside part. The secondary was at 165f and the belt at 185f. I found the belt to have a 6" portion of the belt where the cords where pulled.

I have a alignment bar coming to check the clutches for alignment but what else should I be looking for? My primary seems to be making alot of noise when its not engaged or just above engagment and at light throttle!
I wont be riding this thing if it turns out to be another belt burner....which is sad because its a awesome sled other wise!!! Thanks for any help!!!

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
has to be out of alignment on the secondary. if you have the newest offset bar then it should show something is out. i have close to 500 miles but its still great shape and i never broke this belt it. lots of WOT on the first tank for eng break in. belt has been lasting.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
also dont make belt deflection too tight. i had to adjust deflection after first tank and since i havent touched it. my belt sits flush with the top of the sheaves and the track dont creep. i think if your track is creeping at idle i would loosen it some more.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
also dont make belt deflection too tight. i had to adjust deflection after first tank and since i havent touched it. my belt sits flush with the top of the sheaves and the track dont creep. i think if your track is creeping at idle i would loosen it some more.

yup............these sleds dont like a tight belt, they are not as fussy about deflection as the M

unless I pick up a bog I dont touch mine very often, just ride and ride:yo:

S
Feb 27, 2010
Any one else??? I know there is a bunch of smart guys around here!!!!

Since the secondary is not floating,when you adjust your deflection(ex. add on a thin(10mm) washer,at the same time remove the same amount of washer on the shaft behind the secondary.This should adjust at the same time the offset and make it easier on the belt.
The 1.450 offset is when you have a new belt . When the belt narrow,and you adjust the deflection ,the alignment of the belt change when you are let's say at wot. The primary push the belt on the fixed sheave and on the secondary,when it open,a apart of the belt stay on the fixed sheave (the opposite sheave from the fixed primary sheave )and that cause a misaligment.
Try that and it should help

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
Since the secondary is not floating,when you adjust your deflection(ex. add on a thin(10mm) washer,at the same time remove the same amount of washer on the shaft behind the secondary.This should adjust at the same time the offset and make it easier on the belt.
The 1.450 offset is when you have a new belt . When the belt narrow,and you adjust the deflection ,the alignment of the belt change when you are let's say at wot. The primary push the belt on the fixed sheave and on the secondary,when it open,a apart of the belt stay on the fixed sheave (the opposite sheave from the fixed primary sheave )and that cause a misaligment.
Try that and it should help

Thanks for the help! I just picked up my alignment bar. Arctic cat part #0644-428 which is a 1.485" off set, every thing I can read on it and the local dealer says that the right size. When I hold it against my secondary and rotate it down to the primary it hits the stationary side of the primary(engine side), it wont even go down all the way. There is a groove cut into the primary and it is black......from heat or rubber, just not sure yet. The grove on the clutch lines up with the extra wear and pulled cords on my belt. I called the dealer and he was checking to make sure I have the right alignment tool and then to mail out my new clutch and belts!!! At this point it looks like its a bad set-up from the factory and wasnt caught during the PDI.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
The 0644-428 alignment bar you have is the old belt burning offset that came out with the 2012s. To improve belt life, the you need the 2013 spec tool which is part number 0644-588 with a 1.450" offset.

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
The 0644-428 alignment bar you have is the old belt burning offset that came out with the 2012s. To improve belt life, the you need the 2013 spec tool which is part number 0644-588 with a 1.450" offset.

Yeah, the dealer I bought the sled from just called and told me it was the wrong tool. Even from the 1.485" tool I had on there to the 1.450" tool im supposed to use its still only 0.035" less off set. I still think its ****ed but ill have to get the right tool before the dealer will cover the damage!!!

Premium Features