• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Chute Turbo Kit Falling on its face

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had issues with my Evo Super Chute kit. First time I rode it was also the first time I rode a used 09Nytro with an MCX 270HP kit. The Cat ran really clean but it was noticeable slower than the Nytro. Called Jim and asked him about this as I had the full meal deal Super Chute kit. He started looking into my build and asking questions. He assured me that the Super Chute would outrun the MCX 270, we just needed to figure out the problems. I had issues with the shop that installed my kit on the KMOD they installed and was uncertain of the Evo install and some other problems with a Pro I got from them. I also hooked up with Woody from Mt Baker Motorsports as he had an 1100T with a Big Chute we could compare too. Between the 2 of them they figured out what was wrong and we sorted it out. As stated installation is critical and going to the source rather than SW is how you get things sorted out. I didn't even bitch about the shop that installed all my stuff poorly on two sleds and other problems I had with them. They are very well liked on SW and everyone can have a bad day(well more like bad month :face-icon-small-hap).

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
I see this in a lot of different industries, from snowmobiles to heavy equipment. Easy is relative to who you are. One persons easy bolt off/bolt on is anothers OMG WTF! The biggest problem is that individual who is too proud (read stubborn, bullheaded, etc) to call the mfg and ask for help. They just want to puff out their chest and proclaim that so-n-so's part, kit whatever is a POS. Its very rarely the mfg's problem. But when it is, they are usually very helpful in getting the problem resolved. People are too quick to bash publicly before finding out who is truly at fault.
I had an issue with a sled I bought from a dealer in e. Idaho a few years back. There is not one thread on here about it. I dealt with him and him only. Problem solved, moved on.
I'm glad Clay found some obvious issues with the sled and I hope he bought it for pennies on the dollar. When he is done fixing the f ups he will have an awesome sled.

H

HCM

Jan 12, 2010
Kind of funny Jim I called you at least 50 times last year and you were as good of help as my mom would have been so Y you so apt to help the new owner so much and bash me going to try and recoup the Evo name now, it would have worked better for you to have helped me out a little last year when asked. And for the record I did not install the kit and had replaced the gasket in question twice last year, have seen stock ones blown out there all so it still is not going to fix the heat soak problem they have so good luck with that one and still the best day of my life seeing that thing go down the road in the back of Clay's truck thanks again for taking it off my hands it is a great trail sled that is what it started as and that is what they still are keep them on the trail and out of the mountains and you will be happy I no I will be on my new Pro and it wont have any Evo Crap on it. OUT

Last edited:
R

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Oct 28, 2010
Swift Current,SK
:popcorn: actually on 2nd thought I think I'm going to go for a rip across the parking lot on my big chute M1100 Turbo. :rockon:

There is always going to be someone somewhere with a bad experience no matter what it is and no matter if it is truthful or not and justifed or not and there is always 2 sides to a story. That being said we have been super happy with the performance and power of our EVO sleds and the customer service from EVO and it's distributors and affiliates. Bring on the snow so we can get off of here and ride! - Cody

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Between the first owner and myself. We never had any issues with the evo stuff. But someone has to draw a line on the overall cost of the sled build.. When you buy a new sled and put another $7000 into it. A guy kinda assumes that he will have a bad azz reliable sled. But with the 1100 T it was and IS a constant money pit, all in a ATTEMPT to make a reliable snow cat.
Most guys weren't going to put another $3000 into a sled, and a year later have a stage 10-56 improvements over the top of their 20k dollar sled. So they are selling them and going back to 2 strokes. Just like the first owner of my sled did. Just like I just did. And just like a lot of others are doing.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Not to mention The resale of this sled when it's going to be obsolete in a year or 2. When yamicats come into play.
Nothing like spending 30k and not being able to get 10k out of it in 2 years.

C
May 27, 2010
north idaho
Hey this is clay I don't normally post but here is my opinion.
I do not think this is a trail only sled. I bought the sled knowing of SOME of its alleged issues Believing that these problems could be solved with some Ingenuity and help from the snowmobiling community. I can assure you this sled will see very little trail use as I am NOT a trail rider. I have Emailed and talk to Jim at Evo seems like a nice guy. he is more than willing to give support and back is product. I am sending him my ECM for the new v-map and launch control. the sled is also getting a new secondary, TCL delete, belt drive, and possibly water methanol injection. I am a 100% positive this sled will perform. I will be watching from on top of the mountain.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
Between the first owner and myself. We never had any issues with the evo stuff. But someone has to draw a line on the overall cost of the sled build.. When you buy a new sled and put another $7000 into it. A guy kinda assumes that he will have a bad azz reliable sled. But with the 1100 T it was and IS a constant money pit, all in a ATTEMPT to make a reliable snow cat.

This is exactly what snowmow is talking about. This guy just bought this sled but is already going to throw another 4k+ Into it to try and make it reliable.

Hey this is clay I don't normally post but here is my opinion.
I do not think this is a trail only sled. I bought the sled knowing of SOME of its alleged issues Believing that these problems could be solved with some Ingenuity and help from the snowmobiling community. I can assure you this sled will see very little trail use as I am NOT a trail rider. I have Emailed and talk to Jim at Evo seems like a nice guy. he is more than willing to give support and back is product. I am sending him my ECM for the new v-map and launch control. the sled is also getting a new secondary, TCL delete, belt drive, and possibly water methanol injection. I am a 100% positive this sled will perform. I will be watching from on top of the mountain.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
I'm not against Evo in any way. I was once a owner of a bc275 1100t. Now I don't know HCM and I have spoke with Jim several times on the phone and once in person and is very helpful but I don't agree with this thread 100%. I think HCM posted out of frustration with the sled and once the sled sold I think it just should have been forgotten about. I don't think him saying that stuff hurt Evo's business one bit. I don't think it was right to put HCM out on the plank. Just my 2 cents......

Carry on now that the pot is stirred.......

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Equality for all.....

I'm all for holding any manufacturer to a higher standard, especially when they promote it that way. If you say a product is the problem, you better be sure it is if you're going to flame it. For the same reason if the manufacturer finds out their product wasnt the issue you say it was, they should be allowed to defend it and set the record straight.
I don't know the sled personally, or HCM for that matter, or the buyer, but the buyer contacted Jim with what he had found.
I don't think anyone denies what some 1100's take to make them right. No one cares if anyone bails on the sled. Nor should anyone care if someone wants to dump 15k into a stock sled. Jeez, head over to the yami section and meet a whole wack of them. To each their own with their own reasons. What I do find interesting is how many that don't have involvement with 1100's anymore seem to spend time in this forum. I don't go to the Yami section and complain about the reason I sold my TApex was cause it was way heavier and handled like a bathtub compared to the 1100. Nobody cares. :crazy:

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
In thunderstruck 12 why doesnt Julio or Trennis climb any hills with the evo cats ???

They do, the segments did not make the film. I personally watched both Dan and Trennis do some crazy climbs with their Big Chute Sleds.

Julio's had clutch/belt problems that we did not figure out until the end of March.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I'm not against Evo in any way. I was once a owner of a bc275 1100t. Now I don't know HCM and I have spoke with Jim several times on the phone and once in person and is very helpful but I don't agree with this thread 100%. I think HCM posted out of frustration with the sled and once the sled sold I think it just should have been forgotten about. I don't think him saying that stuff hurt Evo's business one bit. I don't think it was right to put HCM out on the plank. Just my 2 cents......

Carry on now that the pot is stirred.......

Chris, I hear you and I am typically not the kind of guy to do this, however, he made a big stink about how the kit sucked, our stuff doesn't work, etc. Then I come to find out the install was crap after he publicly bashed us for all of his problems.

He did not do the install, the install is crap, but not one bad word about the guy who did the install, only the manufacturer...

He says he spoke to me 50 times and I am about as helpful as his mom (lol). I remember virtually every customer we have and answer my phone on nights, Saturdays, Sundays, etc to try to help because I know that this turbo install, while not difficult is fraught with potential problems if care is not taken to do it right. Most of the time it is simple stuff.

Premium Features