• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AC / DC Voltages

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Help !

So it appears that just about everything runs off AC voltage on my 2006
900. The headlights, hand warmers, tail light, stop light .

And apprently the AC and DC share a common ground back to the stator \ engine \ chassic. Comming from automotive this is very confusing.

So how much AC Voltage potential should I have back to the Ground ? Engine case I guess. Do I set my volt meter to read AC for this ?

How much DC voltage should I see off the accessory DC back to the same
ground engine case ? Set meter to DC volts

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Off of your accessories plug you should see 12-14 volts if I'm not mistaken. As for AC off the stator I am not sure. If you think you are having doubts about the output of your stator I would change it because these are very well known to fail, especially if its the stock stator.

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
These machines run exactly like automotive as far as electrical goes. Not to be haughty but electrical diagnostic is my niche. I spend all day running my versus pro, vantage plus, multi meter, amp meter, and several other systems. The fact is simple if your machine is running a/c at any point the diodes in the stator have failed... Common. It's about like the diode in an automotive alternator failing. Change your stator and go from there

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
AC ? DC

The why do I have to change my mulit meter to the AC setting to read the AC voltage circuits and the meter to DC to read the DC circuits.

Why is the electrical digrahm clearly marked AC and DC circuits if its all DC ?

I believe you are mistaken.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Help !

So it appears that just about everything runs off AC voltage on my 2006
900. The headlights, hand warmers, tail light, stop light .

And apprently the AC and DC share a common ground back to the stator \ engine \ chassic. Comming from automotive this is very confusing.

This is correct.

So how much AC Voltage potential should I have back to the Ground ? Engine case I guess. Do I set my volt meter to read AC for this ?

AC should be no higher than 15 volts maximum and is normally at 13 volts plus or minus 1 and you set your voltmeter for AC to read it.

How much DC voltage should I see off the accessory DC back to the same
ground engine case ? Set meter to DC volts

DC voltage should be 13 volts plus or minus 1 and you set the meter for DC to read this.

By design all voltage from the stator is AC. It is then regulated (or limited if you prefer) to a certain maximum voltage by the regulator. A DC voltage is derived from the AC by a rectifier circuit which provides the DC needed for the ECU and to charge the battery if you have one as well as provide your DC accessory plug. The rectifier is built into the regulator unit.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The fact is simple if your machine is running a/c at any point the diodes in the stator have failed...
Sorry man but this is wrong advice. The lighting circuit portion of the stator output is AC voltage. Also there are no diodes in the stator itself.

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
interesting.. well im not afraid to admit im wrong im going to look at the factory wiring diagrams and see what i can come up with. my apologies for the bad info.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Problem Solved thanks to all (all most )

Here is my problem -- Comments like this from supposed experts telling me I need to have my stator replaced --

CPX1000 wrote - These machines run exactly like automotive as far as electrical goes. Not to be haughty but electrical diagnostic is my niche. I spend all day running my versus pro, vantage plus, multi meter, amp meter, and several other systems. The fact is simple if your machine is running a/c at any point the diodes in the stator have failed... Common. It's about like the diode in an automotive alternator failing. Change your stator and go from there

If you don't know what you are talking about please refrain from handing out bad advice , especially when it costs people money.

Thanks again

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
^this isn't cool guys..

This is a sled forum, people reach out for advice...if someone inputs and you believe to be correct and it's not...don't ask for advice.

When people inject on diagnostics...it's just an input..

How it's his thread any different then asking someone what clutching they use, avgas vs race fuel...if you don't respect everyone inputs, don't ask

B

bustamove

Oct 31, 2010
after some light reading in my 2005 manual... which could be completely different than 2006.

there are 3 things that come off the stator. 3 yellow wires, ignition coils and injector coils. so im 95% the sled runs off dc current. if it took current directly from the coil as the manual states it can run from 5to 80+ volts depending on engine rpm.

so in the automotive industry the alternator has the rectifier diodes and regulator in an all in one unit... on these sleds and most quads. its a separate unit with a heat sink.(should sit right next to the ecu). as far as testing the coils and outputs from both the stator and the regulator your going to have to find someone with a 2006 shop manual.

now why your seeing ac and dc.... id have to see how your using your voltmeter.

then the final question, is there anything actually wrong with the sled? or is this a pondering moment?

Premium Features