• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

170 H.P. from a 4 turbo 4 stroke?

M
Feb 27, 2010
Would be interesting to see what a Z1 motor weighs. It's also interesting that it takes 13 lbs. of boost to make 177HP. A Nytro engine makes just over 135HP. Most turbo systems on the Yammis give you about 10HP per lb. of boost.

its because its atwinnnnnn not 3 or 4cyl so u would need to put a bit more boost to it to get 177hp.turn it up to 18psi and it well be in the 200hp zone and it well be way better then any nytro.and it well be sick in the trees if u have the skillz.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
Once again, it's not the number of cyl. it's the NA power. @ 15#'s of boost you are putting in twice the volume of air in the cyl. as it would NA, thus making twice the power(usually 80% efficient). I'd hate to think all these turbo yami guys turn wrenches on their own sleds w/ out understanding some basic concepts of how it actually works.

L

lightcat900

Dec 28, 2007
Southern British Columbia
Just for everyones information, boost pressure(psi) and horsepower have almost no relation. It is all about the turbos capability to flow(lbs of air per min.), that makes horsepower. Thats is why, for example, a Garrett gt28 and a Garrett gt42 do not make anywhere near the same power at 10 psi of boost. You do however need to run a certain amount of boost pressure in order to get to max air flow, but this all varies on engine mods, exhaust, and, of course, turbo size. I am not sure what size the stock T1100 turbo is, but that could be part of the reason why it doesn't make as much power as the Nytro at 13 psi. The Nytro also has a higher stock compression ratio and without a head spacer or low compression pistons will be more efficient at that low boost pressure of 13 psi.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
wow. you cat guys get all worked up. Just happened to look at this new cat cuase i was curious but wow. First off, Yamaha now offers a Turbo/super from the factory for $1500. 180hp. which stock yammi 13000 +1500 will probably be right around the same price as this m1000T. So that puts it ahead of the Cat on HP for you that are so head up on this hp kick. Also with just a small phone call to MPI you can upgrade the 180 kit for there higher kit. SO again your right with this new cat. Also dont forget the yammi motors have been tested, retested and abused by ALOT of people and are holding up extremely well. If this new cat is down on weight, only time will tell, then yes they might have a sled to compete with the boosted yammis. Im glad it came out cause that will just drive the other sled manufactures to make better sleds as well. As for me ill ride the apex another year.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I'll try to address a couple items. The turbo on tis sled is very small. I tried to see the plate on the side to get the manufacturer and model number, but it was not quite where I could see it. It's probably in the GT25 relm, similar to the push turbo used on the nytro.
This motor has been on the snow for 2 seasons now in a flat land sled. It's the fastest snowmobile ever built. There a guys running this thing to 35-45lbs of boost on a stock bottom end. It is freaking stout. Comparing it to a apex motor is not even close, maybe the nytro motor would be a better comparison. The cat motor is designed to be run 2000-3000rpm less than the apex. The cat 1100 is what is offered in the 600 class sled this year. It's rated at 126hp NA. So very similar to the nytro motor of similar size, but the nytro has one more cylinder. It will be lighter than either the nytro or apex motor due to less parts.
The 1100T is rated by cat at 177 hp. At dynotech they got 183hp. For under $1000 you can add close to 90 hp. So for around $15000 you can have a 260hp sled in a killer chassis.
The sled is going to be heavier than the M8. The 4-striker is in the exact same chassis as a the m8. Nothing is different other than the motor. Same cluthes, chain case, oil bottle on chain case, etc. In the case of the 1100T, the oil bottle on the chain case is for the dry sump oil. Word at the show was the 1100T motor/turbo weigh about 35-45lbs more than a 800. So we are talking around 530lbs dry and 600.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
Just read through this whole thread...again...and let me summerize this for you. Since it has been being compared to Yamaha the whole time we will keep it going. Either way both sleds can be ordered in the same 180 HP range, and still both be under factory warranty. AS soon as you start messing with the ECu or fueling or trying to get more boost out of either engine tis gonna void your warranty. At that point you can eqaully throw money into each sled to gain more hp. MADMAX in no way are you correct on your statement that the 1100T is the fastest sled ever made. Watch the videos on this thread of Glenn Hall he has been beaten by OSP's Nytro at Hay Days when OSP set the new speed record, and then again in December OSP beat there own record.

The final factor will still be and has always been what the weight of the sled is....knowbody, i mean knowbody has a clue what these sleds wil weigh, youc an all guess and go right ahead but there are no demo rides and no weights produced yet because the final prototype hasnt even been developed yet. The 2011 M1000 weighed in at 540 dry correct?

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
My 07 M1000 162 DRY STOCK WAS 525 AFTER SHEDING SOME WEIGHT I HAVE IT @ 497 WET 1/2 TANK OF FUEL!

How much do your guys M's hold for fuel? Just curious, also do you know what the 2011 M1000 weighs, i could only find a number on google of around 534..so yes my number was an assumption but it was meant to be jus food for thought

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
i think cat just raised the bar with this 1100 turbo. Come on, a factory installed turbo in a mountain sled!How cool is that?? Ya the hp #s are not huge but they have to make all the emissions and noise regulations ect. Really, ya think they would sell a 250 or 300 hp sled off the showroom floor for any dipsht to walk i and buy and hurt them selves on? Almost a 180 hp from cat is still cool! Reminds me of the late 60s with GM and their big blocks. Headers came in the trunk with the 69 z28 to keep hp #s down. Guys are already saying you can remap the fuel system to run more boost up to 18 psi.This sled is going to be a runner IMO for a fair price. I love the new chassis, i think its going to handle much better than 2011 snowPRO chassis and i dont think any one will contest the fact it is one one the best mountain chassis out there right now. rider is 3'' forward than last years. So not to far forward like a xp imo. front end looks like moguls will get up and run before ya hit them, running boards look strong and wont build up with snow. I like!

Last edited:
Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
are you talking about the 1100 engine?
dude, where did you look at? comparing the AC IHI turbo with a Chinese or Garrett show us, that your tech knowledge is very limited.

it is a IHI turbocharger, running at 13ps in stock config

adding 90hp for 1k or 1.5k is "BS"
running the engine save with 230hp need ar least 4k USD. and a lot of optimization work.
everything more need serious engine work.

I'll try to address a couple items. The turbo on tis sled is very small. I tried to see the plate on the side to get the manufacturer and model number, but it was not quite where I could see it. It's probably in the GT25 relm, similar to the push turbo used on the nytro.
This motor has been on the snow for 2 seasons now in a flat land sled. It's the fastest snowmobile ever built. There a guys running this thing to 35-45lbs of boost on a stock bottom end. It is freaking stout. Comparing it to a apex motor is not even close, maybe the nytro motor would be a better comparison. The cat motor is designed to be run 2000-3000rpm less than the apex. The cat 1100 is what is offered in the 600 class sled this year. It's rated at 126hp NA. So very similar to the nytro motor of similar size, but the nytro has one more cylinder. It will be lighter than either the nytro or apex motor due to less parts.
The 1100T is rated by cat at 177 hp. At dynotech they got 183hp. For under $1000 you can add close to 90 hp. So for around $15000 you can have a 260hp sled in a killer chassis.
The sled is going to be heavier than the M8. The 4-striker is in the exact same chassis as a the m8. Nothing is different other than the motor. Same cluthes, chain case, oil bottle on chain case, etc. In the case of the 1100T, the oil bottle on the chain case is for the dry sump oil. Word at the show was the 1100T motor/turbo weigh about 35-45lbs more than a 800. So we are talking around 530lbs dry and 600.

Premium Features