• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08/09 skidoo secondarys. How do you service, and set belt deflection?

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
I have been looking for video's, but haven't had a lot of luck. Any video's out there on setting belt deflection. What are the differences between the two? Thanks.

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
This is the clutch on the 08. I don't have a manual, and I am wondering how to set the belt deflection. I also saw a video on youtube on how to make a tool with a pipe expander to remove the helix after you pull the clutch and shaft from the sled. I am going to build it, but any advice on this one and the secondary on the 09 would be appreciated.
secondary.jpg

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
The belt should be set so just the cogs ride above the secondary.

It is all adjusted with the nylon ring in the centre of the clutch. My '08 has that same adjuster and it works ok.

Use your spark plug socket from the tool kit to loosen the lock nut in the centre of the adjuster, and then use the spanner tool in the holes on the ring to turn the adjuster counter clockwise, which allows the sheaves to move closer together. You have to keep spinning the belt a bit so it doesn't bind as you adjust the ring so you get an accurate setting. Then just hold the ring with the spanner, and relock the centre nut to hold it in place.

Hope that makes sense, and that I understood the question, lol.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
Here is the 08. The plastic adjuster was a problem, you should update to a newer style, there are a few different styles out there.

http://youtu.be/dP0574kohm8.

You should watch all of Dynamo Joe's vids, he is one of the clutch Guru's.

Last edited:

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
Belt setting

I have been looking for video's, but haven't had a lot of luck. Any video's out there on setting belt deflection. What are the differences between the two? Thanks.
There are several different clutches used on them so the best is go to the BRP site and ready the manual for your sled and clutch type and follow MFG recommendations. and besides!! It's free to do it right!!

Premium Features