• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex head gasket replacement?

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Gotta do mine this weekend anything I should or shouldn't do?? I have a Manual. It is a OSP motor, no head shim.

One thing I need is the torque specs for 10mm head studs..
Thx Josh

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Gotta do mine this weekend anything I should or shouldn't do?? I have a Manual. It is a OSP motor, no head shim.

One thing I need is the torque specs for 10mm head studs..
Thx Josh

Do you have a replacement gasket , if its a OSP engine , he does not use a stock Yamaha gasket , is the block closed deck ???

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Not sure I haven't tore it apart yet.. As far as I know its a stock block & head w/head studs rods & pistons. I didn't have the motor build the guy I bought it from did. What gasket do they use?? Thx

Last edited:
M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
I take it you did not have this engine build , did you buy it already done ? He does different level of mods , do you know what pistons are in it , stock Or lower compression ?

It has 10:1 Wiseco's. Yep bought the sled with the engine done..

It is pressurizing the coolant system under boost & losing coolant out of the vent line. The thing that has me a bit confused is it isn't burning any coolant & there is no coolant in the oil.. Guess I'll figure it out sooner or later..

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
It has 10:1 Wiseco's. Yep bought the sled with the engine done..

It is pressurizing the coolant system under boost & losing coolant out of the vent line.

OK , if it has 10:1 piston in it , it is not one of his full mod engines , should have a stock Yamaha head gasket.

What kind of boost you running ? may be a cracked head! , but more then likely the gasket.

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
OK , if it has 10:1 piston in it , it is not one of his full mod engines , should have a stock Yamaha head gasket.

What kind of boost you running ? may be a cracked head! , but more then likely the gasket.

I have only rode it twice. Ran around 15lbs both times..
The guy I bought it from said he ran it around 17lbs. I hope its not the head but, we'll see.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Is it blowing alot of the coolant or just a little? I always check my coolant at the end of the day when the sled is still warm. Then it's good for the next ride. If I have any amount in the main coolant bottle (when cold) it will expand out the overflow. Guess that's why they are supposed to have an overflow bottle. Head gasket will have a violent boil over under boost.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Is it blowing alot of the coolant or just a little? I always check my coolant at the end of the day when the sled is still warm. Then it's good for the next ride. If I have any amount in the main coolant bottle (when cold) it will expand out the overflow. Guess that's why they are supposed to have an overflow bottle. Head gasket will have a violent boil over under boost.

Mines the same as Duke's. They like to have very little in the reservoir. Mine will push coolant out if its over 1/4 full in the res.

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
It seems like it a fair amount.. I pressurized the cooling system to 16lbs last night, it lost a pound in 20 minutes. Would a leak down test tell me more???
I am a mechanic by trade. It just doesn't make since to me that if the head gasket is bad, I don't have any signs of a bad head gasket. No water in oil, no oil in water ect. Not saying it isn't possible just want to be sure before I tear my motor apart. Thx for the replies. Josh

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Be carful with the ARP head studs and TQ'ing there is a process that is different then the factory manual. I followed the factory manual using ARP head studs and it would lift the head on boost and blow coolant out, then seal up when idling/pressurizing. I put back stock head studs and followed the manual and been running 10-11 psi for 4 years now since then.

I think you even have to cut the ARP bolts down and the TQ is somthing like 50 ft-lbs which is right at the break strength of the threads. A engine builder would know all this. My only take away was its not as easy as just replacing the studs with ARP.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
It seems like it a fair amount.. I pressurized the cooling system to 16lbs last night, it lost a pound in 20 minutes. Would a leak down test tell me more???
I am a mechanic by trade. It just doesn't make since to me that if the head gasket is bad, I don't have any signs of a bad head gasket. No water in oil, no oil in water ect. Not saying it isn't possible just want to be sure before I tear my motor apart. Thx for the replies. Josh

it sounds like you are lifting head only under boost so no coolent gets in the cylinders it just pressurizes the coolant system & pushes coolant out the overflow.then when you are off boost it seals back up,sounds like the head may not have been torked proper & some of the studs may have loosened up,or there has been deto which will lift the head.

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Well I got it changed, time consuming but, it is done now. I am guessing it had what Bigfish said, happening. No obvious defects in the gasket & the head wasn't warped. I am guessing that that head wasn't torqued properly when it went together, or maybe when I had it way to rich something happened.
Took it out and test ran it after getting it together &I adding a overflow tank. At 14lbs it didn't push any coolant into the overflow tank so, I think I got it fixed. I torqued the head in steps to 45 ft lbs (per powderlites) then backed them off 1/4 turn & retorqued. Gonna take it out this weekend for the real test. Thx for the replies & suggestions. Josh

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
Mines the same as Duke's. They like to have very little in the reservoir. Mine will push coolant out if its over 1/4 full in the res.[/QUOTE]

My turbo phazer on 13lbs is the same way with the coolant

Premium Features