• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YZ450F as snowbike

P
Dec 29, 2007
I know this topic has been beat hard in the past but i cannot seem to find the exact answer i was looking for. I have a new 2016 kit coming for my Husaberg so I am going to put my Gen 1 kit from the Husaberg on a 2009 YZ450F with carb. I know there are issues with temps and air intake. i was planning to simply pull the airbox and filter out and install a pod. i seem to find info that suggests it works great and others that say it has a hard time carbureting. What is the latest? Does anybody have info on jetting? Does anybody have pics on how they did the pod set up so the pod actually sits right below the seat?

I am planning to do a thermo-bob also as i recall having issues on my old WR with the motor not getting hot enough.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Great bikes that run hard! Run stock jetting for your elevation. No need for a carb heater on a 4 stroke in most conditions.
For intake just run a prefilter on your stock filter cage and the bottom of the airbox cut out. Carb bikes do not have the temperature issues the FI bikes have so no worries there, no need to worry about over fueling. Carbs are smarter that FI ; )

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
I'm running an '09 YZ450f as well. Running avid carb heater & thermostat my carb would still ice up in super deep snow. It needs engine shrouds and radiator covers. I'm running just the prefilter on the stock cage with no airbox. One size bigger pilot and a fuel screw. My oil stays a lot cleaner when I can keep the temps up.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
I have the intake that comes with the TSS for sale if you want to pm me. You can trim to fit your bike if needed, but it allows some twisting to make it sit right where you like. It is used but has a never used prefilter if you end up wanting to go that route.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
yup

I'm running an '09 YZ450f as well. Running avid carb heater & thermostat my carb would still ice up in super deep snow. It needs engine shrouds and radiator covers. I'm running just the prefilter on the stock cage with no airbox. One size bigger pilot and a fuel screw. My oil stays a lot cleaner when I can keep the temps up.

Same experience I have had with my Yamaha's. Its NOV-Jan that cold and icing is an issue. From now till end of season stock engine setup would likely be just fine, its those gray days in Dec riding new deep fluff when keeping engine temps up and carb un iced makes for more fun riding.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have a buddy looking to replace his worn out WR. How do the carb versions 2010-2013 of the YZ450F compare to the 2014 and newer bikes as a snow bike. I know from an MX point of view the newer YZ is a better handling bike but for snow bikes is it worth the extra cash to get the fuelie? Has anybody here owned both?

M5

R
Dec 27, 2015
I own 3 newer YZ450F's

I have a buddy looking to replace his worn out WR. How do the carb versions 2010-2013 of the YZ450F compare to the 2014 and newer bikes as a snow bike. I know from an MX point of view the newer YZ is a better handling bike but for snow bikes is it worth the extra cash to get the fuelie? Has anybody here owned both?

M5

The 2010-2013 YZ450's are fuel injected. I have 2 2016 Timbersled ST kits on a 2013 YZ450F and a 2014 YZ450F. The 14' has more power, but the 13' definitely has no trouble getting around. The 13' is more fun to ride in the trees and in tight stuff due to a bit more low end torque. The 14' really likes to be wrapped up and run hard. Both bikes have ThermBobs, Moto365 engine covers, and left side radiators covered. In very deep snow we ran into trouble plugging off the intakes on both bikes but pod filters solved that issue.

Last edited:
J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
The 2010-2013 YZ450's are fuel injected. I have 2 2016 Timbersled ST kits on a 2013 YZ450F and a 2014 YZ450F. The 14' has more power, but the 13' definitely has no trouble getting around. The 13' is more fun to ride in the trees and in tight stuff due to a bit more low end torque. The 14' really likes to be wrapped up and run hard. Both bikes have ThermBobs, Moto365 engine covers, and left side radiators covered. In very deep snow we ran into trouble plugging off the intakes on both bikes but pod filters solved that issue.

There's probably a picture somewhere already of the pod filter you mentioned, but could you upload a picture of what your intake looks like?

Premium Features