• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting Track Tension

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK wise lifelong Ski-Doo owners, school me...

Last time I road my 850 I felt a lot of paddle slap coming from the tunnel, so I guessed that it was simply time for the first track tension adjustment towards the end of the break in period.

Whipped out my handy dandy Ski-Doo owners manual and read this..

picture.php

picture.php

Just so happens that I have that tool on hand as I had to use it to keep my supercharger drive belt dialed on my Nytro a couple years back.

Book says I need 16lbs at 1.25 inches of deflection.

Lifted the sled up on the floor jack, checked current tension and it was WAY lose by comparison. So I released the main axle nuts, adjusted the tension bolts, rechecked the track tension to make sure it was IN SPEC then re-torqued the axle nuts, confirmed alignment and called it good.

Note: this seemed CRAZY TIGHT to me, but I am certain the track was tensioned exactly to book specifications...

Next day.

Spent the whole day riding all over Mt. Jefferson in Island Park.
Sled ran great.
No issues at all during the mountain riding.

At the end of the day we leave the mountain and take a long trashed forest service road all the way out. Towards the end of many miles of constant whoops on a never groomed trail the sled starts to ratchet for the first time.

The final stretch of the ride back to the cabin is open flat meadow.
The farther I go the worse the ratcheting.
About 3 miles across the meadow I give up as the sled is ratcheting 80% of the time and I am thinking I am just trashing the drivers.

Stopped multiple times to check track tension, and it seemed TIGHT.
Axle nuts appear tight
Adjustment bolts are tight
No signed of axle slippage or movement forward allowing the track to go lose.

Tomorrow the sled will go in for a checkup at my local dealer as the head mechanic is a personal friend and I will have a definitive answer in short order.

But I am curious, what do you think I did wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
The ratcheting may be your drive chain. Have you tightened it yet? Many reports of pretty extreme chain stretch in the first couple hundred miles.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The ratcheting may be your drive chain. Have you tightened it yet? Many reports of pretty extreme chain stretch in the first couple hundred miles.
in fact yes, I did tighten it.

It took 1 and 1/4 turns to bring it up to "finger tight" resistance.

Just walked out and checked to make sure the retaining clip IS still firmly in place, and its right there. Is it possible for the tension bolt to back out with the clip in place?

picture.php

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Adjusting Track Tension: Ski-Doo Rev 4 850

Not doubting you but are you sure it was ratcheting and not just noise of track rubbing on the ton of ice you probably had in the tunnel. I experienced something similar and I I'm pretty sure it was my track rubbing on my tunnel, vibrating type noise? I also tightened my track and chain before the last ride. The walls of the tunnel build up tons of ice on these sleds it seems

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
Not doubting you but are you sure it was ratcheting and not just noise of track rubbing on the ton of ice you probably had in the tunnel. I experienced something similar and I I'm pretty sure it was my track rubbing on my tunnel, vibrating type noise? I also tightened my track and chain before the last ride. The walls of the tunnel build up tons of ice on these sleds it seems

I was coming here to post the same thing... we left our sleds out for a couple nights and only got shorts rides the following days so we didn't thaw them out... started to get some pretty serious paddle rub on something (assumed it was ice after looking) and let the sleds thaw in the shop overnight and the problem went away. I've had this happen on basically every skidoo I've owned... have ridden them for days with it happening and no noticeable wear attributable to the ice.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

While anything is possible, there was NO ratcheting if I was crawling the sled, but the more power I put to the track through the engine the more I heard what i "Thought" was the driver spinning against the track, and it was LOUD enough that everyone around me could clearly hear it. The feeling of Paddle Slap was very different from this..

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
It might be your drivers spinning on the shaft ? We have 10 or more with that issue.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Back to Revisit the topic of this thread...Track tension.

IMO... a wide pitch track (these are 3.5" pitch)... will stretch more than lesser pitches...And Tension is super important for the track to perform well.

The track needs to be nice and tight... as a loose one will not perform well... even with anti Ratchet drivers... regardless of if it ratchets or not.

Better than that spring tool... is a 15lb KettleBell... placed in the track between the rails... makes easy, one person work of getting the tension right.

pDSP1-13569550p275w.jpg

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State

IMO... a wide pitch track (these are 3.5" pitch)... will stretch more than lesser pitches...And Tension is super important for the track to perform well.

The track needs to be nice and tight... as a loose one will not perform well... even with anti Ratchet drivers... regardless of if it ratchets or not.

Better than that spring tool... is a 15lb KettleBell... placed in the track between the rails... makes easy, one person work of getting the tension right.

pDSP1-13569550p275w.jpg

So 1.26" with that in place is what your saying? What the hell ever happened to the 2 finger rule???!!!!!

T
Dec 19, 2016
Mapleton Utah
Where to place weigh

pDSP1-13569550p275w.jpg

Where do you put your 15 pounds

Premium Features