• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

home made turbo

S
Jan 27, 2008
illinois
Its been asked many times I'm sure. Has anyone had any luck with a home made turbo kit. If so can you give any details. What turbo, fuel box, did you have to ad another fuel pump, extra injectors, and places to get parts (oil pump) I have the means of doing the fab work myself(oil tank, flanges, and fitting charge air pipes) I know I can buy a bolt on kit for +or- 5,000$ but I don't have that kind of money. I'm realy only intrested in a pump gas kit for now. Sled is a 06 M7. Thanks for any info in advance!!!!

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
ran into a homemade TM8 last spring... actually looked kinda clean for a r&d kit . i cant recall what was all included in the kit

anyone can (will not anyone) can make their own kit but controlling the fuel will be the main issue

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
cruise swapmeet, there are enough parts for sale to build pretty much anything or even a whole kit.

even a decent home made kit will run you $2500 in parts if they are at all quality. and you dont have any tuning advice, not saying its not worth it, just I started really pricing things out, down to fittings and hose clamps and realized its not as cheap as i thought.

not saying you cant do it or it wont work, just saying, keep an eye on say a used kit for an M8 or something, they come up a lot, could save a lot of headaches.

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
I have been thinking about this also and it seems that the Garrett 2860 turbo comes up alot when reading around. But have you looked at Garretts website there quite a few 2860's most of them the difference is the flanges though. I'm not sure if this is the same turbo used for the pump gas kits. When looking at some of the pump gas kits the pics don't appear to have blow off valves in them. Maybe the boost is low enough that one is not needed really the only reason you would need one is for turbo bark when getting off the throttle and to keep boost spikes down. But this could be achieved in riding style same as driving a turbo'd vehicle let the throttle smoothly instead of chopping.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Its been asked many times I'm sure. Has anyone had any luck with a home made turbo kit. If so can you give any details. What turbo, fuel box, did you have to ad another fuel pump, extra injectors, and places to get parts (oil pump) I have the means of doing the fab work myself(oil tank, flanges, and fitting charge air pipes) I know I can buy a bolt on kit for +or- 5,000$ but I don't have that kind of money. I'm realy only intrested in a pump gas kit for now. Sled is a 06 M7. Thanks for any info in advance!!!!

We have a guy in our area that put a turbo on his 900 cat. Home built setup. Runs very well by the way. I am sure he has waaayy more money into it compared to buying a kit. Top ends get expensive after you burn them down several times. So yea maybe you can get the parts for less, but the trial and error expenses will push the total above that of an off the shelf kit.

But one thing is for sure, if you do your own you will understand the entire system and know exactly what is going on. Would be a serious learning project.

Thunder

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
i heard for the m7 you can use the stock fuel pump to 5-6psi and stock injectors with an aftermarket fuel pump are 12+ i think. a cheap turbo route would be an mist evo 3 big 16g or others that may be alright for a low boost application. not the knock off chinese ones. some people use msd fuel pumps. an example of an oil pump would be a greylor. members here sell oil pumps or you can get them from twisted turbos ect...i would get rid of the oil injection and run premix with a mech oil pump. you can get some prebent mandrel alluminum pipes various places. BOV would help with run on but i dont think mandatory for low boost. and 2:1 rising rate fuel regulator for efi or 1:1 for carb which can be found many places. manual boost controller... fuel controller i have a bd box but will be switching to attitude for my turbo. clutching... gauges... it adds up.

S
Jan 27, 2008
illinois
Thanks for all the sugestions and info. I was looking into a evo turbo because of the low boost settings. I'm going to keep looking into rounding up parts as I come by them. I am going to build it over the summer. When its done I will post a grand total in cost, where the parts come from and what parts I fabed. Also pics.

Premium Features