• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tm8 & tm1200 no start????

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
This past weekend a TM8 and TM1200 failed to start a few times after they were shut off. Had to pull a plug and add fuel and they would start. Any others out there with these problems? The sleds were never just off immediately. Always let run for a few seconds and then shut down. Still had a few NO STARTS. This can't be isolated as it happened to 3 of them. 2 were Boondockers units and 1 was an OVS unit.

Sam

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
This past weekend a TM8 and TM1200 failed to start a few times after they were shut off. Had to pull a plug and add fuel and they would start. Any others out there with these problems? The sleds were never just off immediately. Always let run for a few seconds and then shut down. Still had a few NO STARTS. This can't be isolated as it happened to 3 of them. 2 were Boondockers units and 1 was an OVS unit.

Sam

Sounds like a temp sensor. Bypass the sensor with a switch and just turn the switch off to start it then after it's running turn the switch back on. Your motor is just heat soaking while it sits after you've run it then shut it down. You only need to switch one of the wires coming of the sensor, and leave the switch ON for normal operation. You can find the wires under the motor coming off the temp sensor or just behind the motor on the mag side, should be a yellow connector.

Last edited:
J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I can try to take some tonight for you, there's not much to see. I just cut one temp sensor wire, splice in a longer piece of wire that will reach the dash, drill a whole next to the key, put in the switch, and then cut the longer spliced in wire and wire each end to one of the terminals on opposite sides of the switch. Run the switch in the on position so the temp circuit is complete. When it won't start, turn the switch off to interrupt the circuit and tell the ECU that there's not an issue. After you get it running long enough to move some cool water through the motor, turn the switch back on and everything will run normal again.

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
it is an enrichment curcuit and it would probably run bad i do know not to start it with the the switch flipped if it does not need it found that out the hard way it floods the motor out

D
Nov 26, 2007
The other advantage to the temp sensor switch on a turbo is that it will help on those cold start mornings. Turn it off for the first few pulls and it acts almost like a choke. flip it back on as soon as the R's come up and the motor start to idle normally. I was skeptical at first but have now proven for myself that it actually works. ;)

doughboy

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Just call Product Tester and buy his switch or make one. Works every time. Except when you forget which way is off after the summer...

J

jensen

Feb 27, 2008
Casper, Wyoming
Switch

You can get a switch thru cutler and you don't have to cut anything. It is plug and play all you have to do is install the switch itself. i'm pretty sure shane would have these also.

Premium Features