• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anbody have driveshaft problems on the 800 dragon

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Had to tow a buddy's out last weekend for the same reason! The primary (with the end of the crank still attached) shot out the side of the sled taking the side panel with it! Crazy sh!t!! Makes me worry a bit.

D

dragonryder800

Dec 5, 2009
Pollock Pines, California
:eek:o.k. to clear up ,the side with speedo sending unit on the driver shaft sheared off , makeing the drivers fall down ,thus making the chain bind up and come off in chain case and out of cover .pulled off cover to find the chain melted to the cover craziesst thing i ever seen!the crapy part is its not covered under warr. chain case maybe but not sure find out mon.

M
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like you had a bearing failure on that left drive shaft speedo end that actually cut the end of the shaft off. Had this happen on an older sled. Doesn't take long to take the shaft once the bearing goes out. You probably lost the seal in the bearing and that took the bearing in a hurry and a day of riding to saw the shaft off. Just be sure to grease once in a while. Sorry about that.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
wow, havent seen that happen before. :confused:

Sounds like a pto side bearing failure or an impact caused the breakage. The D8's shafts are very strong.

T

tahoermk

Nov 26, 2007
Tahoe
Same story!

My friend had the EXACT same thing happen to his 08 d8 last weekend, and we had to drag it 13 miles to the truck. His speedo pickup and bolt sheered off and his drive shaft dropped out, taking out the chaincase too. Our mechanic has no clue how it happened, what have you found out? He thought it may have been caused by a major impact to the track on that side, but....my friend doen't recall one.
He is looking at about $1200 to fix his. Keep us posted on what you find out please.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
Have seen similar failures, the grease nipple fools people into thinking they are taking good care of the bearing, but if you ever have it in your hand try and figure how the grease gets past the seal and into the bearing. LOL

D

dragonryder800

Dec 5, 2009
Pollock Pines, California
got it torn down last night, what a mess!Did a parts list around $800 in parts damm! the kicker is i think i rode it three times last year do to motor failures three times to b exact!but whos counting,dont recall hitting anything,did hillclimb came back down to where everybody was hanging out went to take off, started to ratchet stopped, rolled sled on side and the drivers fell out!!!!!!! and here we are broke again!!!!!! so now i"m leary of pounding on my assualt but thats what i'ts made for right! got to go make some money to pay for this mess:mad:will keep posting on warr. issuses

Premium Features