• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 summit 800 runs on one cylinder or the other cylinder but not both

D
Nov 28, 2007
idaho falls
Sled ran fine last ride with a little bog on bottom end at the end of day.
Went to load for the big weekend but when I started it, only ran on PTO side so i changed plugs, check spark, and went through the carbs all looked fine. Took out in the field and no luck. So for fun I took off the PTO side plug cap and it started. It ran a little worse than the other but warmed up so I put the cap back on the PTO side then mag side stopped again. any suggestions? Missed the big ride on my sled, have to barrow one.

update 2/28
i have put in different motor and have swapped coil-plug caps and fuel pump still run's on one cylinder at a time. You can put hand over PTO side carb and the mag side will start to work but as soon as you take hand off the mag side stops again.
I tried to put the mpem on from the spare sled but it will not start at all. I have put the cowling with the dess cord and the cord that matches the mpem with no luck.

Last edited:
D
Nov 28, 2007
idaho falls
I checked all the electrical tests from the service manual and all seem to be in tolerance. coil check fine and even change out with another same thing.
so i pulled the motor and have taken apart because the mag side was 10 psi off from the PTO side and all looked ok (even a pressure test from cylinder to cylinder held psi.) but the rings are to the max Clarence.
still no clear problem.
when the stator goes what is the first thing to go wrong? (no spark or what)

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I've seen on the older sleds doing that same thing that it was a bad vacuum line to the motor was leaking, just a thought.

D
Nov 28, 2007
idaho falls
like a line for the fuel pump or what other vacuum lines are there?
The lines to the dpm look good and i put pressure to it and held but you are to vacuum instead.
thanks

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sorry, yes the vacuum line from the fuel pump to the motor. What was happening with mine was, it had a small vacuum leak which caused the fuel pump not to keep both carbs full of fuel. Believe me I chased that problem for awhile. Good luck

D
Nov 28, 2007
idaho falls
I will look into the gas thing too.
I have another summit that i was taking parts off of and so now i am just puting in the motor from it with all my carbs, hoses, and electrical stuff to see if it runs in there.
life is good!!

D
Nov 28, 2007
idaho falls
well I put a different motor in and it does the same dam thing. i put on the different coil and plug caps same thing. change to new plugs again. I would spray fuel into the carb that is not working still no workey but if i put my hand over the carb that is working the other cylinder will start to work,take had off go back to running on PTO cylinder again.
So now i will put on a different fuel pump and try the other mpem from the spare sled again (last time it didn't run with the other mpem)
I am just having to much fun. when i put the other motor in went to pull start it over and the rope came undone and went in to the motor so i have been starting it with rope on the clutch deal. when it rains it :rain:

the spare sled has not been started for 3 years and what would be the chances of it not working just like this one?

Premium Features