• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Re-enfoceing steering post on gen 2

C
Nov 26, 2007
If it's the stock one I took a 3/8" drive extention amd drove it down the center of the post, it worked good for a while, now I have a wildchild post its the only way to really fix it.

T

tahoermk

Nov 26, 2007
Tahoe
fabcraft

buy a new post from fabcraft in MT. Several inches taller than stock, comes with a beefy top mount, and you will have no more problems.

D
Jan 4, 2008
MN
1/2" stock down the center of the post only helps support it above the first bend. An upper post support cured all weak post problems. Used an old AC post mount, made a L bracket, longer bolts and spacers. It was cheap and I didnt need to remove the motor.

005-2.jpg

M
Oct 21, 2009
thanks i like this idea better cause the motor doesnt need to come out and its cheap. you would happen to have more pics tho?
and whats an ac post mount?
thanks again.

Last edited:

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
do the wildchild post and be done with it. you can install it w/o pulling the motor if you have small hands or nimble fingers.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Been here done this.
Get a chromoly post.
Driving a rod down the post, filling the post with epoxy, welding re-inforcing plates on, etc.
All any of it does is move the weak point. The gen II posts were just weak.
I decided to go cheap and not worry about it. when my steering post snapped off the sled took out an 8" tree. So I saved a hundred bucks up front so I could spend 800 dollars in parts later to put it back together.

Just bite the bullet and get a chromoly post.
I went with a Wildchild post and never had another problem. Sold my sled with 6,000 mountain miles, 5000 of those with wildchild's post.

BANG.jpg

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'm every bit of 6'2 and I've got a a 6in riser on mine '99 and have yet to have any problems. I know the post is weak but I've had it this way for a number of years. Is this something that I should worry about?

M
Oct 21, 2009
my steering post moves quite a bit... it even seems to "flex" the bar that the steering post is mounted to, the bar that kinda wraps around the very front of the gas tank... ill post some pics of what i did to try and re-enforce it. see what you guys think.

M
Oct 21, 2009
this it what i came up with to help support the overall steering.... im trying to support the bar that the post is mounted to because it seemed to be moving. what do you guys think?
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Premium Features