• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Easier steering?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hi guys, I see Ice age makes upper control arms they call "EZ STEER", Anybody have any feedback? any alternatives? Looking to make the steering much easier while keeping the factory straight up down post.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Just makes it closer to earlier geometry of front spindle like the 12-15s and trail sleds have. TKI uppers with Riot spindles do same thing. I have that setup on my 1000 Ascender and it feels a little easier to steer than my 2016 Proclimb but it also has laydown steering eliminating another pivot point.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Just makes it closer to earlier geometry of front spindle like the 12-15s and trail sleds have. TKI uppers with Riot spindles do same thing. I have that setup on my 1000 Ascender and it feels a little easier to steer than my 2016 Proclimb but it also has laydown steering eliminating another pivot point.
Good to know, a good amount different in steering effort then? Or is it a small amount? I tried laydown but just can't do it haha once I got used to the straight up post it's the way for me it seems now

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Good to know, a good amount different in steering effort then? Or is it a small amount? I tried laydown but just can't do it haha once I got used to the straight up post it's the way for me it seems now
Yeah the laydown was already on sled and to fit the 1000 SLP pipe it made it easier without more damage to pipe. Got used to it. I do feel more at home on my other sleds with the straight up post. Not sure if the steering effort difference would be worth it for the money but the raised bulkhead with taller spindles and changes to the rear skid to match seemed to make deep snow handling better.

80digdeep

Lifetime Membership
Apr 8, 2008
so.wisconsin,now meeker co
I put these on my 23, it is a lot easier to steer, no more sore shoulders, sometimes almost to easy to steer, my buddy rode my sled and had them on his 21 the next wknd. I will put them on my other sled for this season
it is a big difference

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
do the skis point down when ya catch a little air? theyd have to compared to stock. unless ya can run different rubbers ('15?)

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Rubbers have been the same as the 2012-2015 sleds since 2019 when the G2 ski came out. Spindle shape is the same on the bottom. If you try to use something like the TKI upper arm on the stock or elevate spindle it will point the ski tips down and not handle good. The Ice Age arm isn't as far forward.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^interesting... but different part numbers in 15 and 19. Id believe ya on angles matching up tho. Maybe a little extra down force on front of ski is good?, idk, I think skidoo did that with their expert spindles.
wonder how the handling is on say mohawk skis vs stock. stock cat skis are pretty flat up front where they are adding ski pressure. mohawks still have turned down edges up to the tip. I suspect these arms are more appreciated with stock skis. yank those big floppy ba$tards back a hair where they can work a little better

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I feel like a part of the steering issue is the ski's, you do read about others putting the newer style Polaris ones on? The factory cat ski has a long flat bottom VS cat and Doo with a more rocker one, so when you steer you are sweeping more area VS more pivoting from the spindle down. Not sure how big of a difference the other ski's make though

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I see now the ski dampers are different part numbers! The older ones were superceded and I just assumed it was to the current model number. They look the same...curious what the actual difference is now. SLP sells the same one for all years proclimb through ascender to use with their skis.

If you put one of the Cats up on a stand and move the handlebars it takes much more effort than it should to move the skis with no load. So some of the hard steering is just the poor design of the system.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
If you put one of the Cats up on a stand and move the handlebars it takes much more effort than it should to move the skis with no load. So some of the hard steering is just the poor design of the system.
Mine moves pretty freely. one of my tie rods scrubs the inside of the bulkhead at one point though, maybe check yours. The rubber boots also create some drag.

I

Iron_River

Jan 9, 2023
Iron Springs, Alberta, Canada
The TKI arms do not have exactly the same geometry as the Ice Age arms but create better steering geometry. I have a set of the TKI arms in stock in Southern Alberta. Riot spindles and you get a similar effect as an entire elevate kit + arms.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I see now the ski dampers are different part numbers! The older ones were superceded and I just assumed it was to the current model number. They look the same...curious what the actual difference is now. SLP sells the same one for all years proclimb through ascender to use with their skis.

I find when the sled is on a stand the steering is very easy to move. Maybe you have something binding somewhere? I can put one finger one the end of the handle bar and move stop to stop with very little effort.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I find when the sled is on a stand the steering is very easy to move. Maybe you have something binding somewhere? I can put one finger one the end of the handle bar and move stop to stop with very little effort.
Maybe. I made the observation when I changed out the pitman arm running down the spar to the bottom of the bulkhead. I sanded the paint off of both post bushing surfaces to try and free it up, but didn't remedy it entirely. Maybe it just had a real tight ball joint on the bottom of that new pitman arm?

I just got my Mainway bushings for the bell crank, putting a laydown post in, new a-arms since the bushings and ball joints are worn out now, and all new tie rod ends. Everything should be new going into this season so I'll see if it improves.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My dad hit a tree on his alpha, bent the upper control arm, and while the lower control arm was not bent for some reason the steering was very stiff. Ended up somehow damaging the lower ball joint as it was causing stiff steering.

Premium Features