• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 5 steering support/brace.

T

theidbreder

Mar 3, 2020
Has anyone found or using any sort of steering brace to replace the stock mount to cut back on the small amount of slop in the Gen 5 sleds? I’ve found the post forward kit but I’m not wanting to go that route unless there is a big advantage to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Maybe it is designed similar to the Polaris as they slop too? On those we just remove the aluminum inserts and file/grind them down slightly and then the plastic bushings squeeze tighter ont the post. Works great.

T

theidbreder

Mar 3, 2020
On the G5’s there isn’t much slop in the shaft like older Doo’s and Polaris sleds. I just want to make it rock solid and not worry about excess play.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
On the G5’s there isn’t much slop in the shaft like older Doo’s and Polaris sleds. I just want to make it rock solid and not worry about excess play.

So linkage play and not collar play is what i understand now? I did notice that Doo does not have any lock nuts on the inside adjuster of the tie-rods. I was surprized becasue the aluminum tube can easily mushroom away from the steel tie-rod shaft. Check yours to see if there is any play in that area? If so, a nut on each to lock it from moving might be a good idea.

T

theidbreder

Mar 3, 2020
There is practically zero steering play? Sorry if I’m confusing things, I’m talking about the collar play. I’m sure what you suggested earlier will work, I’m just looking for a bolt on fix.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
There is practically zero steering play? Sorry if I’m confusing things, I’m talking about the collar play. I’m sure what you suggested earlier will work, I’m just looking for a bolt on fix.

Why spend money when the fix might be free and add zero weight, just labor? This might be why I have not seen a kit to improve it, because it is hard to make money if the fix can be free.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Has anyone found or using any sort of steering brace to replace the stock mount to cut back on the small amount of slop in the Gen 5 sleds? I’ve found the post forward kit but I’m not wanting to go that route unless there is a big advantage to it.

I noticed that on my last ride sitting having lunch. The steering post does have some slop at the plastic collar. An aluminum replacement would be nice.

T

theidbreder

Mar 3, 2020
I saw the Trex block and it looks legit. I’d just hate to buy the block and it not work. Has anyone tried or seen it be used?

D

If you are a taller rider, you will love the post forward kit. I’m 6’4” And that makes a tremendous difference specially when climbing steep trees keeps you over the front of the sled more. Also less effort to keep it on edge and initiate edge. Can’t go wrong with it

E
Dec 19, 2007
I saw the Trex block and it looks legit. I’d just hate to buy the block and it not work. Has anyone tried or seen it be used?

I haven't seen one in my hand but it looks like an exact copy of the OFT one. Those worked great, wish they were still around.... SP1/WPS lists one also but it doesn't fit right, it's .081" too wide.

briandride

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2016
Fruita, CO
If you are a taller rider, you will love the post forward kit. I’m 6’4” And that makes a tremendous difference specially when climbing steep trees keeps you over the front of the sled more. Also less effort to keep it on edge and initiate edge. Can’t go wrong with it

I just installed the post forward kit on my Gen 5 this weekend and taking it out tomorrow. I’m anxious to see how it handles. Sick of always riding back on the boards.
That said it would be an expensive and possibly unnecessary fix for slope in the steering post. I did notice the slope the last few rides but does not seem to be as bad as my gen 4.

T

theidbreder

Mar 3, 2020
I’m super interested in seeing installed pics and hear the thoughts of how it rides. I’m 6’3” and typically stay up on the boards but do catch myself further back than I should be.

Premium Features