• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Big Boy" Torsion Springs on IQ: Inputs??

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Looking for some inputs on heavy duty rear torsion springs on my 05 rmk 900..

I have the stock rate springs now, there is no sigificant sagging in the rear.

I have WE shocks in the skid, #225lb shock and figured it would be "helpful" to have the heavier rear springs..

I Weigh 255lbs NAKED :D and close to 275lb all gearded up.

Would it be reccommended to use the heavy springs (.405/77 degree).

What will the advantage be WITH them installed over stock. Does style of riding affect this?

I know there is an adjustable block for the springs, with 3 cams to change the setting tension of the torsion springs..are they much different between them??

Are ALL .405 big boy springs the SAME for ALL IQ chassis...

Any inputs would be GREAT..

R
Jan 3, 2008
fat *** springs

i weigh 220 put them on my 07 155 , i ride with a pac and nothing on back of sled very happy with them not to stiff

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
Hey Guys,
When I had my 900 I did both of these spring upgrades. One year I did just the front track spring and the sled rode great like that picked up the skis easier and the sled seemed to be easier to handle lighter feel

The second year I decide to upgrade to Walker evens "dragon" shocks Valve by Carls cycles for my weight by Chris Kassel. I also added the "fat boy" springs the sled rode nice and stiff I also weigh ~250, But I found instead of riding on the stiffest setting all the time I ended up riding on the lightest or mid setting on the bigger springs because It made the front end feel a bit heavier on the heavy setting. The nice part was no more bottoming out us fatties enjoy so much....

I would recommend doing the bigger springs though and absolutly the 225 front track spring or heavier if possible ??? not sure there is anything available

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
I might just ride it with the 225# spring see how i like it...i dont know yet...we'll see...

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
The more I think about it though, the more I want to overhaul the rear skid...
-225# track spring
-Revalve shocks
-Torsion springs
-2wheel kit, plastic wheels 8 inch or 9 inch
-fresh slides
-scratchers....

Sorry didnt mean to hijack the tread...

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
The more I think about it though, the more I want to overhaul the rear skid...
-225# track spring
-Revalve shocks
-Torsion springs
-2wheel kit, plastic wheels 8 inch or 9 inch
-fresh slides
-scratchers....

Sorry didnt mean to hijack the tread...

do it do it

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Jack,

Yes you need to keep pouring the money into the 9. If you quit feeding them money they break! lol jm Don't give up on them so easy! If you're anything like me you won't be happy with the torque of any other sled. Theirs something about having a 900 and out riding all those people that put them down that just makes it so much fun!

Sean,

Your 166" has ZERO sag? Thats impressive! If you have any more than 5" of sag I would say change them out for sure! If the sag isn't bad any your not bottoming out then I would leave them alone until you upgrade your skid next season ;) . Not sure if that was the info you were looking for.. my .02.

-Nolan

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
after seein billet wheels literally blow apart I wouldnt recommend riding with them ever

Every spoke had stress cracks after we took them off and looked them over
went with plastics and never looked back

Thats why I said plastic....after hearing what happen to yours....no thanks.

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
Whose billet did you have? I have had MMP on my last two sleds both 8's with lots ditch banging, jumping miles on each and no problems. but i guess it could happen at any time!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

The question though is should I keep putting money into the 9?

Silly Question Jack..the answer is YES!! haha...

I heard 9'' could bottom out on the 151 track....

"MAYBE" but not sure about that..i would call and talk to the guys at MMP and see what they think..they can tell you for sure...or you can extand that pig to 159/166..or go ridiculous and get a 174, lol....

thanks for the inputs guys..i will go this route for sure..all depends on $$, no one has as much as Nolan. ;)

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Jack,

Yes you need to keep pouring the money into the 9. If you quit feeding them money they break! lol jm Don't give up on them so easy! If you're anything like me you won't be happy with the torque of any other sled. Theirs something about having a 900 and out riding all those people that put them down that just makes it so much fun!

-Nolan

Silly Question Jack..the answer is YES!! haha...

"MAYBE" but not sure about that..i would call and talk to the guys at MMP and see what they think..they can tell you for sure...or you can extand that pig to 159/166..or go ridiculous and get a 174, lol....

thanks for the inputs guys..i will go this route for sure..all depends on $$, no one has as much as Nolan. ;)

Ok...you guys convinced me.....:)

Premium Features