• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patriot 850 rattling/knocking noise

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
My pull handle rattles at idle too.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Just for reference I run a 2019 850 with 4,200 miles. Everytime I fire up my sled and drive away from a group of riders they all tell me my Poo is coming apart. I am half deaf and wear earplugs so I don't hear a thing. I've never figured it out and quit being concerned about it 3,000 miles and two years ago, the sled runs perfect day in day out. I think it's a combination of drivers on track clips and secondary float rattling back and forth on acceleration and deceleration.

R
Dec 4, 2019
That damn knocking can be caused by literally everything. I guess I've read all the articles on the Internet about knocking. IMO there are 3 most common reasons for knocking: poor quality fuel, timing chain problems, and suspension. There are also some other knocking reasons mentioned here (Click here). Anyway, knocking is a problem that can be easily solved, so you shouldn't be afraid of it. Still, if you're not sure you can fix it yourself, show your car to the nearest mechanic available.

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
That damn knocking can be caused by literally everything. I guess I've read all the articles on the Internet about knocking. IMO there are 3 most common reasons for knocking: poor quality fuel, timing chain problems, and suspension. There are also some other knocking reasons mentioned here (Click here). Anyway, knocking is a problem that can be easily solved, so you shouldn't be afraid of it. Still, if you're not sure you can fix it yourself, show your car to the nearest mechanic available.
I had an 850 polaris snowmobile a couple years ago with a bit of a knocking problem. Never once did I think of the timing chain or taking it to a car mechanic. I am now better informed

Last edited:
Premium Features