• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Customer Service???

J
Mar 10, 2008
I am fairly new to the snowmobile scene having bought my first two sleds about a month ago. I got a ski doo and a polaris and it's been an interesting experience to say the least.

My question is in part due to the different experiences I've had between the different dealer/manufacturer and their attitude.

Polaris dealer: So far, they first tried to steal the sled saying it was a ticking time bomb and they would give me a store credit of 4k for my 05 RMK 900 with 150 miles on it. I started laughing but they were aggressive about getting this thing...must have seen $$$ in it for them. "We'll give you a store credit of 4k and get you into a new dragon 700...you would only have to chip in like 5k more." My first impression is they are straight trying to jack me. Since then they pretend not to know what a boss seat is, told me the polaris manufacturer said who in Colorado needs a 900 anyway, can't replace certain recall items b/c they won't really affect a Colorado sledder...the list goes on. Is Polaris really that arrogant and jerks that they can't stand behind their product?

Ski Doo dealer...sled has no glitches to speak of. Guys were super friendly and appeared to just want to do their best job to keep me happy and my sled running. Didn't get the feeling upon entrance and exit that I didn't deserve this toy. Walking out with a good feeling as opposed to a getting robbed experience.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I have seen it too but it has more to do with the dealer than the brand. We have great dealers here in Boise (with Yammi being the exception) that take pretty good care of their customers. If I was in your shoes I'd steer clear of the Poo dealer.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I have had the total opposite experience, my son bought an 07 Ski Doo Renegade and an 06 400 cc outlander quad. The sled went through 3 belts in 800 km's and the dealership told him he was riding the sled wrong, what ever that means. The frame on the quad broke and he ended up having to take the machine out to a dealer in a small town for repairs, as the dealership he bought it from would not even process a warranty claim for him. I have seen lots of problems like this with Ski Doo products. I own three Polaris sleds and they have been mostly trouble free, but when a problem does come up the local dealer does his best to help me out. I have a friend that has an 06 900 RMK that has been a nightmare, so I guess all the brands can have problems. From what I have seen you might be better off taking the deal that your Polaris dealer is offering you.

J
Mar 10, 2008
What happened with your friends 900? I've heard the good and the bad but would like to hear any stories I can pertaining to the alleged ticking time bomb I bought.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
There is a lot of people that would have taken that offer for the 900 because they know it's a dead horse in so many ways. Just ask any of them that have been trying to get rid of them, it's near impossible. If I was in those shoes, it's a 2005 regardless of miles, it hasn't had a good reputation since the day it was made and the list goes on. The boss seat as far as a dealer is concerned is absolutely a waste. It adds no value to the sled. Just like accesories that you buy for your truck, they don't help at all when it comes time for trade in.

Your expierence with the Polaris dealer was an expierence of realism, and your expierence with the Doo dealer is all popcicles and cotton candy for right now but it will change. If it doesn't you have one hell of a dealer!

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
I concur, the poo dealer was actually trying to take care of someone that is inexperienced and has made a bad purchase. Your poo is going to nickel and dime you to death..........not to mention they don't make them anymore. Don't be so quick to judge.

A
Jan 3, 2007
SPOKANE
please forgive my asking, but did you say service?????? lol that word has been outta use for a long long long time.

sure, there r a few decent services out there , but for the most part they dont know what the word means.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
From a money standpoint, $4k is not a slap in the face. Look at what these are selling for privately, it's not much more than that. That said, it's your $4000 sled, regardless of what you paid for it, and for the $5k you'd have to fork out to upgrade, you can do a whole lot to the 900 (or nothing at all and save alot of money minus just what it cost's to keep it running ok).
They (866 RMK's anf 755's) have a bad rap, but I have no personal knowledge to say they're junk. Besides, you may have a good one. I've been riding Polaris' "worst" sled for shelling the case out and losing the crank, for 7 years and 3000mi now and never had a hiccup out of it. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe you are to.
The dealer's service and attitude is another issue. If they won't treat you like a first class customer whether you're buying 2 spark plugs or a whole new sled then they can't expect to keep your business. I don't ever use dealers for service, just parts, but I can reccomend 3 good dealers from that angle, depending where you live.
Extreme in Castle Rock has always been helpful when I need parts. Spirit Lake Polaris in Grand Lake?, I bought my '01 there, used, good price, no BS car salesman cr@p, professional. The dealer in Hotchkiss (?name). They stayed open late for me and were the only place within 100mi of Grand Mesa that had the parts I needed last year.

Premium Features