• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Darting Nytro

Just purchased a 2008 Nytro RTX 121'' only 700 miles on the machine. I ride on mostly hard pack trails here in Wisconsin and it is the most ill handling sled I have ever owned I love the way it runs and its fuel economy. The rear suspension works well after messing with for a while but the machine darts like crazy down hill and just normal trails . I have tried dually carbides it was a little better. I tried different pressures on the front suspension still hardly any difference. So what am I doing wrong ? Is there different geometry on the 2009 or 2010 Nytros?? Is there after market arms, spindles any thing that will make this a trail handling machine ???

N
Feb 4, 2010
I bought this same machine for my wife and a back up for myself. We have the same problems, one thing that made a big difference was adjusting the fox floats from 75 psi to 50 psi. I also just ordered a set of double carbides I read an article that said it will cure the problem. I will be installing the new carbides on Thursday I will let you know how it turns out.

Simmons helped me out quite a bit. Another trick - take the rubber mounts located where the spindles attach to the skis and reverse them (turn them around - fronts become the back ends).

Exaggerated lean into the turns seems to keep it on track pretty well.

I love my Nytro (153 MTX) but its kind of a crazy sled on the trails. During one part of the day it jumps all over the place, then the conditions change and it tracks perfectly, then...

Never can tell how it's gonna behave.

I think they really built it for really aggressive riding - fun stuff but definitely not the best sled if you like to RELAX and enjoy the scenery.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
Three things made the difference for my darter, lowered Fox pressure down to 50 from 75, Stud Boy dual carbides and, I think the steering relocator kit also made a difference. Totally different sled from stock....Sherm

N
Feb 6, 2008
I noticed this as well on my 08 RTX, and after reading several of the suggestions on all the forums, I think one of the main things to check is ski alignment. I checked mine today, and the skis were toed out quite a bit. I read that the skis should be slightly toed out, but mine were out about 1/2 an inch. I used the bolts attached to the carbides coming through the tops of the skis as measuring points. I loosened off the rods near the spindles, and I gave them one complete turn out on each side, and now the skis are very close to even, I'd say toed out 1/8 of an inch. I'm going to test it out this week, and I'll report back.

O
Dec 13, 2009
Stillwater, MN.
Oliver

I have an 08 Nytro RTX and had the same problem.
I found that seting the spring for the front shock in the skid to where you only see about two threds left of loose and pull the front limeter strap up two holes, three was too much.

Now on your front end take the top hime joint off each side and turn the shoulder down on a lath 2.5 mm takes about 15 minuts pr. side. This will get you close to the 09, 10's. I set my preshure at 65 pounds and I am running 1 inch duce bars. Also having your Fox Flotes revalved for a softer rebound will make a big differance. I have not tried changing skies but I here that the Skidoo's work very well and are inexpensive.

Just a bald man living in a harry world!

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I noticed this as well on my 08 RTX, and after reading several of the suggestions on all the forums, I think one of the main things to check is ski alignment. I checked mine today, and the skis were toed out quite a bit. I read that the skis should be slightly toed out, but mine were out about 1/2 an inch. I used the bolts attached to the carbides coming through the tops of the skis as measuring points. I loosened off the rods near the spindles, and I gave them one complete turn out on each side, and now the skis are very close to even, I'd say toed out 1/8 of an inch. I'm going to test it out this week, and I'll report back.

X2 on the alignment, I go 1/8 to 1/4 inch, if that doesnt work for you, Simmons Gen 1's.

Darting nytro

I gave my front suspension a complete makeover ditched the fox floats went to xtx shocks with hygear tripple rate springs and c@a skis, replaced ball joints and made brass bushings for upper and lower a arms. now this is a very nice driving sled and corners much better. No more darting when getting out of throttle at high speed or braking.

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Machine down the upper ball joints, get curve xs skis with their wear bars, and set the toe out farther than the factory setting. Curve Industries can tell you everything you need to get it working. Works great

J

j_w10

Mar 8, 2009
darting

id say depends on your buget, i personally went with gen 1 simmons and the 43" z broz front end with crs post and relocate kit. made a huge difference. my sled doesnt dart at all now and corners very well. also very expensive. id go this route again because you can adjust the upper ball joint on these front ends wich is nice and they use a lower ball joint wich is way better. if you dont have the coin for all this do like said above machine the upper ball joints down if you have an 08 get the up dated lower ball joints as they did not last long at all in mine (couple weekends and they were shot) and definitly go simmons gen 1 skis. they are the best mod ive done on all my sleds. also a good set of shocks as the stock ones are garbage. hope this helps.

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
biggest thing i noticed were simmons gen 1 skis, second biggest i noticed was shorter front shocks. didn't machine the upper ball joints because i went with a timber sled front end (that didn't help with the darting though). I really don't think the steering relocation helped this at all, maybe made it worst (love the relocation overall though). biggest thing is to not ride it choppy on the throttle, leave a little bit of gas on even when you slow down. again simmons were my single best improvement to the darting.
just my opinion though

Premium Features