• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J
Dec 19, 2007
central idaho
It's about personal freedom of choice. And where you ride, out west.. not much of a problem, not riding in anyones back yard. Lighter and more powerful are my goals, noise might be a consideration once the first two priorities are met?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I suppose the question is, HOW LOUD is loud??

Is factory sound output the only acceptable option?

I know I am installing a new muffler on my Nytro at this very moment.
And while I don't want it to be obnoxious, I AM looking forward to being able to hear my engine for the first time...:face-icon-small-hap

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I'll give up the 2 or 3 HP (if you even gain that). To keep my place in the backcountry, no problem with it what so ever. With that said,.

It makes me mader than a hornet, to have someone ride up to you, or buy you with a ear pounding exaust, makes me mad. Stuff a sock in it!!!

There is a noise level that is sutiable, Louder is not better. Stock is not the anwser eaither.

Why can't the after market exaust companys, come up with a lighter, quieter exaust that will let your sled breath? I have a rideing buddie that has done this with the stock exaust with great results. IMO alot of us are after the weight loss more than the sound change.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Chistopher... you bought the SPG setup right?

You will have no problem with the noise level on your sled.

The straight piped sleds, those are the ones that are getting a lot of notice in the backcountry from non-motorized advocates.

Quiet your exhausts on your sled if they are loud. This WILL go a long way in the fight to keep lands open.

From an earlier post
IMO, Loud cans/stingers or straight Turbo exhausts are bad for the public image of sleds...
Those that ride with loud pipes are causing more damage than just "pizzing off a hippie". They are taking away from the future of snowmobiling in the backcountry....

Radar guns, speed limits on trails with Police watching....boy, that sounds good!

Bad public image of snowmobiles...even from people that are NOT 'greenies' starts a chain reaction from other people that don't care if motorized access is closed.

It is sad to say... but the PUBLIC OPINION will decide weather or not we have sledding access in the future.

We don't need any new people that want to take away sledding access.

Manufacturers that make loud exhaust products are actually hurting, IMO, their own long-term ability to make a living off of snowmobiles...if sledding areas keep getting closed at the rate they are = big problem.

Lets make that clear.

Loud exhausts can turn someone, that is not opposed to sleds, into a 'greenie' on the topic of snowmobiles real quick though. Most aftermarket exhausts are borderline obnoxious (or full blown)... the less expensive ones especially....even more so as the packing burns out and it is not replace. There are more cheap exhaust sold OR turbo systems without mufflers than quiet units.

If your extra 3.8 hp comes at the cost of me loosing my priveledge of snomobiling in the backcountry... the choice is easy for me.... and it should be for you too.

Race pipes don't belong on the mountain, IMO.... unless you can make them sound reasonable.

And.... Snowbilers are still looked at like the Koresh Branch-Davidians of the backcountry world by the public at large.... those things that stand out like littering, loud exhausts, sleds that are out of tune and belching smoke, destruction of property... all these little things that can be fixed easily are going to give us the same fate a the Waco group if WE dont fix them.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chistopher... you bought the SPG setup right?

You will have no problem with the noise level on your sled.

The straight piped sleds, those are the ones that are getting a lot of notice in the backcountry from non-motorized advocates.

Quiet your exhausts on your sled if they are loud. This WILL go a long way in the fight to keep lands open.

From an earlier post
Can't argue with you on that comment.
A "very" loud sled is just not pleasant to be right next to.

As for me, yes, I bought the Skinz Under the Tunnel Exhaust package.
And until I go riding next winter and get some snow packed in the tunnel, I really won't know what the true sound of it is going to be.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

Lets not turn this into a "Loud pipe/turbo" Vs. "Quiet sleds" argument that splits US as snomobilers.

Were all sledders on this forum... Lets use this great way of connecting to each other to help ourselves.

The point of this thread is simply to bring attention to the topic of loud exhaust on our sleds and how this is hurting our
PUBLIC IMAGE which is a factor in how decisions are made concerning the access to lands that we currently enjoy.

The Public image of snomobilers in general... and not just the "enviro-Nazis" will make the difference in weather or not we, as sledders, get voted off the planet.

Ruffryder:mountainhorse,

I think you are hitting on a very important topic that gets lost in pretty much every discussion about closing down sled areas.

We do not know who we are fighting this battle against. It is not against "the greenies". They are not our opponents in this. Our public image is. Our inability to see problems with our sport and attempt to resolve them is. Our complacency is...

The greenies seem to serve only as a distraction to us, allow snowmobilers to use the mentality that there is no point in making changes, because for the greenies it will never be enough.

Again, the greenies are not the enemy, we are..

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
BRaaaapp............:eek:

golf027.jpg

peace-
johnny

LMAO, I bet Johnny has a mullet.

C

Chubby

Nov 26, 2007
Albany mn.
There is no place any more for loud pipes. Go to Michigan Its not allowed and I don't blame them. I have a trail about 100 yards from my house and I will say I hate silencers !!!!!!! They dont give any more power and Piss alot of people off !!! If ya want rant but loud is not a good thing

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
True, but the peeps that don't like loud exhausts are also the ones who'd never love NASCAR.

T
Jun 17, 2008
if the numbers were correct the US sled market has shrunk by 60 percent since 2002 .we are a very small minority and shrinking .in canada here not so much but over all we are a very small sport .
i wonder how the manufactures are looking at a consumer that continually asks for more power but keep it quiet .
stock , are all over a 100db when the throttle is wide open
quieter than most bars or busy resturants .
its not about sound
its about a very small number of enthuiests .
unfortunately the large percentage of the sleders are in high pop areas
i can understand it there but i doent understand it out in the mtns or any vast expance .
over the years i have taken up the quest for quiet and have achieved it to a point of nearly muteing the sound . very weird to ride .
it wont help , they just dont like that were out there enjoying ourselves in a tough enviorment .
our battle here isnt sound , its over some critter that no one sees and appears to be more about the guy trying to justify his time in school and a great paying job .keep the turmoil going and there jobs are secure .

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
While I agree that being arrogant with your loud sled is hurting us as a collective group with the peacenicks, I also believe that it is just one more step to taking away our freedom. The folks responsible for the attacks on snowmobilers dont just stop with motorized users, they go after foot traffic in some areas as well. I believe people need to be responsible in thier actions and around others, but I do NOT believe we need to give up something many of us enjoy, to appease the masses of "greenies" out there. Like said before, they will go after anything burning fuel at all in the backcountry eventually. If its not the loud cans, it will be the tracks we make in the terrain, dispersement of wildlife, etc...

Loud cans do not neccessarily add performance , but they do shave a substantial amount of weight, which helps to increase real performance on the mountain. They also are VERY useful when seperated from your group in the mountains. I got lost once while boondocking around with about 5 other buddies. I was able to shut off my sled and locate my guys by listening for thier sleds. I could have been lost many other times due to not finding my group because I couldnt hear them 100 feet away in the trees. Yes, I have been fortunate to have areas to ride where you arent restricted to local groomed trails or small regulated riding "areas." Those reasons alone are enough to keep me a firm believer in "loud" cans.

Bottom line is we have been blessed with many freedoms in this country. I believe that we can be responsible at the same time as not bending over and giving our freedom away one piece at a time as well, just because they can use it as "ammo against us." Id rather see snowmobilers use some ingenuity and common sense to fight back for our rights, not just lay down and give up our arms. Trust me, theyll be going after many of our Constitutional rights a little at a time and I believe giving them this would actually be ammo against us as well in the long run. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
They also are VERY useful when seperated from your group in the mountains. I got lost once while boondocking around with about 5 other buddies. I was able to shut off my sled and locate my guys by listening for thier sleds.

This is the first thing we tell anyone that joins our group to do if they get seperated from the group. In urban areas I can see loud exhaust being an issue, in the backcountry loud exhaust is not an issue. I haven't ran into anyone in the backcountry that doesn't love the sound of a crisp running, piped up sled; clawing it's way up a powder covered slope.

Premium Features