• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo 1200 Dyno run

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Impressive on a Dyno, let see how the drivetrain holds up.

Yeah its cool that it makes that much HP but I'm kinda with Summit Guy, sounds like a complete custom drag sled that will have a custom drive train and run 1/4 miles at a time. Realistically 300 HP is probably a liveable motor, but it is still comparable to the Yammies so that is promising. No technical data in that post though, no BSFC values, boost levels etc., from what I saw to be able to determine if that HP value has daily driver qualities.

Still impressive though. :)

D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
we ran 20 dyno tests on the bone stock but boosted engine, have four dyno tests posted on my website 15-22 psi boost, including one 400 hp run at .60 plus BSFC 10/1 A/F but that doesnt mean "trail friendly". This is race gas short blast territory but shows how dandily this engine takes to pressurecharging. Could Bombardier have planned it this way?

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
The fact that aftermarket parts arent out yet for the 1200 and make 427HP is impressive. But it sounds like its only goin up and down a strip then to a rebuild

How many lbs did it take for 300HP?

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
we ran 20 dyno tests on the bone stock but boosted engine, have four dyno tests posted on my website 15-22 psi boost, including one 400 hp run at .60 plus BSFC 10/1 A/F but that doesnt mean "trail friendly". This is race gas short blast territory but shows how dandily this engine takes to pressurecharging. Could Bombardier have planned it this way?
Thanks for chiming in Jim! Sounds like a very good start to finding out what the potential of this motor is. And what better place to prove then on your dyno. :face-icon-small-win

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
Yeah its cool that it makes that much HP but I'm kinda with Summit Guy, sounds like a complete custom drag sled that will have a custom drive train and run 1/4 miles at a time. Realistically 300 HP is probably a liveable motor, but it is still comparable to the Yammies so that is promising. No technical data in that post though, no BSFC values, boost levels etc., from what I saw to be able to determine if that HP value has daily driver qualities.

Still impressive though. :)

At that kind of power would any stock drivetrain hold up no matter if it was in the mountains, on the trail or on the track? I'm still using the triple motors here (Old school ?) and know nothing about the new four strokes.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
At that kind of power would any stock drivetrain hold up no matter if it was in the mountains, on the trail or on the track? I'm still using the triple motors here (Old school ?) and know nothing about the new four strokes.

Yes, some drivetrains will hold up, most of the time it depends on the rider and how they operate the machinery....... Hard stops and starts, huge loads on the drivetrain from landing off a jump at full throttle, etc., is going to break parts faster than a smooth operator. The yammies seem to be over built in all aspects, hopefully Doo will follow their example. But stock, some are capable of handling the power. Just in this instance, 427 HP is impressive, but again, real world driveability is important as well.

I appreciate dynotechjim's comments about the setup on this sled, and even de-tuned at 300 HP is hopefully a liveable setup on this sled, and that is impressive! Thanks to them for setting the bar.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I tell ya...what a bunch of nay sayers....

the first one out of the gate makes 427 hp and your all acting like its bad...or watch out for this or how trailable is it????

WTF- its says STOCK motor lake race set up...

NOT pump gas trail set up...

NAME one Yamaha that made made 427 hp on DAY FRICK'N ONE?????

the answer is ZERO!!!!!

as for reliability??? stock rpm range...120 octane...no deto will run all winter IMHO... if anyone knows turbos??:rolleyes:...they dont bang the drivetrain like NOS or a BB motor does...

Glenn Hall runs a 450 hp turbo 1200 in a stock F7 chassis...can you say POS chassis??? and it runs (as of this weekeend) 7.80's at 168 mph...

The Yamaha guys are the ones who should be worried ...BJ

O
Nov 26, 2007
Alta, Norway
www.scooternorge.no
if that's on a completely stock motor, that's impressive...it's impressive to make 400+ hp no matter what, but on a completely stock motor...WOW...wonder how much the rods will take...I was thinking thay would be the weakest link in this motor...

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
mello out there big john, we all know u make your money modding ski-doos and i think thats great. but don't full yourself or anyone else into thinking that there will be a 427 hp kit for every day riders. mcx says it will be around 250 hp on there kit. I think that the chassis will have problems with even this kind of power, but it's nothing that aftermarket companies won't address. What I do know is wait at least a year or two or we will be the suckers out 30 grand and there is no way ski-doo will step up and take responsiabilty for a machine. Belt's, driveshafts, that mile long chaincase, primary clutch, etc. will be constant problems give it time dont rush. remember you can rebuild a 860r kit once or twice a year for a couple grand a pop, but that 4 stroke is a diffrent storey

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
mello out there big john, we all know u make your money modding ski-doos and i think thats great. but don't full yourself or anyone else into thinking that there will be a 427 hp kit for every day riders. mcx says it will be around 250 hp on there kit. I think that the chassis will have problems with even this kind of power, but it's nothing that aftermarket companies won't address. What I do know is wait at least a year or two or we will be the suckers out 30 grand and there is no way ski-doo will step up and take responsiabilty for a machine. Belt's, driveshafts, that mile long chaincase, primary clutch, etc. will be constant problems give it time dont rush. remember you can rebuild a 860r kit once or twice a year for a couple grand a pop, but that 4 stroke is a diffrent storey

I am mellow...I just dont get it...this is a real contender!!

As for problems?? the only one thats getting addressed on my sled is the AVID mod to the driveshaft..the rest is cured by "tuning"...and as for the motor?? at 200-250 hp on pump gas it will out last any 2 stroke..

What $30,000 sled?? the kits will be roughly 3000-6000 bones (depending on supplier and level of HP)...try 2 turbo 1200 sleds for $30,000...

The XP chassis is stronger than any F-7 chassis...and Glenn Hall can drop a 450 hp 1200 turbo in it and run 7.80's @ 168 mph...

Day one the 427 hp 1200 is thrown under the bus...aka "XP's will be totaled by hitting a pinecone"...

IMHO- I almost waited 1 year too..now I'm glad I didnt...I will have a 146/16/2.25 Renegade X TURBO out west this year and I cant wait!!-BJ

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Well said BJ. I for one am not scared of more hp. Dex--please have your mom proofread your posts. That chit is hard to read!

G
Apr 23, 2008
Folks, Greg and Jim did this project "with BRP". they have access to engine family info and tuning componenents that mc x does NOT !

This engine in its current form from BRP under boost will be an easy 300 without issue.
Remeber , when under boost it's THERMAL strenght and Thermal limits that govern your life expectancy and output goals. Rod strnght is moot UNLESS deto is induced..

This is an engine to OUT live and OUT perform the current crop from Japan.
Be proud of what the "yellow mother" has for you to work with..

I have ONE also coming for the Snocross team owner, we'll use it to get to the drivers meetings !!!!!!! LOL.

John, have fun man, its gonna be a piece of cake !!

Our rev turbo has been a blast for the past 3 seasons. Looking forward to the XRS and my own Bismarck turbo...

Gus

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
This will get out of hand :rolleyes: Skidoo and 4 stroke.....ohhh the hipocrisy from over the years.....:) Will be like the dodge pickup.....saweeet powerplant, but the chassis will fall apart before motor is broke in.

Probably need to get Brad Wursten to mod up some motor plates for this mega powerhouse to drop in the Yams....or the Cats....

Let the good times roll...:beer;

Premium Features