• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting a High Jacker on your new M

jbmilek

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
First of all, I did not like anything about the mounting brackets that the High-Jacker Deep Powder snowmobile jack came with. It stuck up way to high in the back and stuck out the back to far. So I did this.

Drilled a hole in the inside edge of the foot well for the bottom end to stick in, but I soon realized that it wouldn't be long before it would be rubbing on the brake disc. So I cut out a piece of 1/8" aluminum and rivited it into the foot well for more strength and to space it out a little bit.

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

As you can see, I now have plenty of room to clear the brake disc.

IMG_0856.jpg

For the upper mount, I used the bolt-bushing-washer deal and drilled through the side of the tunnel (watch out for the coolant lines). I used some extra large washers on both sides of the tunnel and then braced this with the supplied anlge brace.

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Then mounting the base plate was easy, there is a little black plastic plug right behind the seat (centered in the tunnel) that I took out and the plate mount bolted right on with no drilling.

IMG_0853.jpg

Finally, I cut about 5" off the top end so that it wouldn't stick out past the rear bumper.

IMG_0859.jpg

Here it is all mounted up.

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

arcticman31

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Colorado
Jack mount

I made a J shaped mount for the rear of the jack out of a piece of 3/8 aluminum about 4 in long and bolted it to the top side of the tunnel and it worked out great. For the bottom I drilled a hole in the same place only I didnt make it the same size as the jack pole, slighty smaller so just the point of she shaft goes in. Has never come off no matter what. Only thing I would not have done is cut the 5 in off the end. It dont hurt anything to have it stick past the bumper and more then once I have needed that 5 inches. ( Im sure your laughing hystericaly at this point but I am still referring to the jack! )

J

joeoim

Dec 29, 2007
Western Colorado
Articman,

I'd like to see a picture if you could post one.
I've an M-8. This is the 3rd sled I've had it on.

I drilled my hole about the same place, only lower so the black bolt stuck below the running board, and on the left side. Gave it plenty of clearance on the clutch. Some of the new ones have a couple inches of shaft below bolt and there may not be clearance on those.

I jack it into the back footrest. First time I carried it this way footrest cut nice grooves into shaft. Doesn't seem to hurt it. Got them on both sides. Now I've filed top edge down a little, and wound starter cord around footrest where the shaft lays.

I'd rather have the jack mechanism behind the footrest if I could find a good way to mount it. Get it out of the way. Your J bracket might work.

I have needed another foot of jack a couple times.

Joe

J

joeoim

Dec 29, 2007
Western Colorado
Jbmilek,

Nice setup.
Watch that your footrest don't wear a groove in your jack.
You may need to file the top edge off that devil.

Joe

arcticman31

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Colorado
Articman,

I'd like to see a picture if you could post one.
I've an M-8. This is the 3rd sled I've had it on.

I drilled my hole about the same place, only lower so the black bolt stuck below the running board, and on the left side. Gave it plenty of clearance on the clutch. Some of the new ones have a couple inches of shaft below bolt and there may not be clearance on those.

I jack it into the back footrest. First time I carried it this way footrest cut nice grooves into shaft. Doesn't seem to hurt it. Got them on both sides. Now I've filed top edge down a little, and wound starter cord around footrest where the shaft lays.

I'd rather have the jack mechanism behind the footrest if I could find a good way to mount it. Get it out of the way. Your J bracket might work.

I have needed another foot of jack a couple times.

Joe

Ill take some pics of it tonight joe and post them in the morning. works great. a buddy of mine was jacking his against the rear strut like you are and it broke the strut. this works much better and even though its in front of the strut it raises it up and never gets in my way. you just need to make it long enough so it displaces the pressure on the tunnel. took me about ten minutes to make it:)

jbmilek

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
I thought about hooking the jack on the rear strut but it didn't look stout enough for me.

I didn't really want to cut any length off of the jack, but i've torn snow flaps, tail lights and bumpers off of sleds in the past and didn't figure that the jack would stay on to well for me sticking out the back.

J

joeoim

Dec 29, 2007
Western Colorado
Thanks arcticman, I'll check tomorrow.

jbmilek you will probably never miss it. I stuck out about 10" past the bumper on my polaris and that was a pain. Currently about 5 or 6" on the 8 and don't bother much.

Joe

arcticman31

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Colorado
J Mount

Ok here are a few pics Joe, sorry they are not very good pics I took them with my cell phone when I got home and since it was dark as heck in my trailer this was the best I could do. I think you can get the idea though. I glued a rubber vaccumm plug on the outside end to keep it snug and so it wouldnt wear on the jack.

0119111843a.jpg 0119111841a.jpg 0119111844.jpg

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
That looks like it would be so annoying I would rip it off and throw it in the woods after a couple miles riding off the trail.

I don't even like the ice buildup on the inside of the tunnel right there. I can't imagine riding with that thing on there.

I hate to sound like a jacka** but that is the most ridiculous thing I think someone could put on a sled.

Just my 2 cents.

1BIGCAT

Jan 15, 2008
Manitou Springs, Colorado
That looks like it would be so annoying I would rip it off and throw it in the woods after a couple miles riding off the trail.

I don't even like the ice buildup on the inside of the tunnel right there. I can't imagine riding with that thing on there.

I hate to sound like a jacka** but that is the most ridiculous thing I think someone could put on a sled.

Just my 2 cents.

So I"m guessing you never get stuck then? your back will want one some day!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Everyone gets stuck. Got stuck today as a matter of fact. However, thats what your buddies are there for.

I just don't see why you would need this. Maybe if you were riding by yourself across the Alaskan Wilderness or something like that?

Otherwise its more weight and something that would be horribly annoying to me on my running boards. That is my point. I absolutely would refuse to ride a sled with that thing there.

I will stir the pot a little more and say spend more time learning how to ride and how to get unstuck easier. A shovel usually works pretty good.:) So does a buddy pulling on the ski:)

S
Feb 21, 2009
x2 ^^^^

Everyone does get stuck.When its that deep if you learn to turn out you can normally pull it. If you get stuck in the deep the only way is to roll it out. Works easy for one person, but sledin is a buddy sport. besides if your on a m series how often do you get stuck really. JMO.

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
In deep fresh pow when your pushing your limits in the mountains you will get stuck no matter what you ride. A few weeks ago our group got stuck a combined 12 times. All competent riders. My back was so sore the next day I bought the jack in hopes it would save some wear and tear on the body.

My god this thing is a life saver. Its so easy to crank the rear up and drop it over on fresh snow. It also works great bringing the front end around.

I didn't notice it being in the way while riding. Which is weird cause it looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

On set up days I leave it home but when a day of deep fresh powder comes along so does the jack. If you have a bad back or just want to save your energy for riding instead of lifting sleds I highly recommend it.

edit. It also cuts the time you spend getting unstuck almost in half, leaving more time for the fun stuff. The next time you dig a trench to china and someone comes along with a jack to get you out then you'll see the value in it. Don't knock it till ya try it.

Last edited:
Premium Features