• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! '13 PC throttle revs, dies

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
I recently swapped my telescoping steering post for a 4 stroke fixed vertical post set-up and since then have had my sled die about 6 times for no reason. Every time it has done so, I have either been stopped or nearly stopped and had my skis turned full lock to the right. At first the sled would start right back up when I pulled the rope.

Last weekend it quit me 3 times in the parking lot and took a dozen pulls on the rope to start the last time it did it. Once I got it running, I ran it the rest of the day avoiding turning my skis to the right at full lock and it was fine. Even when the sled didn't start, it fired and engine would rev, almost to the point where I would reach for the kill switch before it would die on its own. It acts like there is a safety switch (maybe throttle safety switch in the bars?) kicking in and killing the engine because something is telling it something's wrong. Maybe the throttle cable is out of adjustment or my new steering post set-up is stretching/kinking the cable at full lock to the right?

Anybody else ran into this or heard of this before? Going to look over my throttle cable, but is there somewhere else I should look? Could it be an electrical issue?

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
You sled it 100% pulling the TSS. Your throttle cable it too tight somewhere. The TSS is a switch that detects cable slack in the throttle block. I would advise against disconnecting your tss at this point as it seems to be telling you something when you turn right.

Either not enough slack in from a riser that it too tall or most likely you need to work on how the cable is routed.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
When i broke my first steering post on my 09, i routed the cable wrong and turning the bars would pull on the cable causing my sled to rev up enough to engage the clutch, it was like cruise control when u didn't want it. It never caused my sled to die, but that was on an 09, i don't know what has changed on the HO motor.

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
go inside your throttle block.. you can cut the red or black wire whichever you want and your problems will be gone

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Thanks for the input guys! I only have a 2" riser, so its nothing out of the ordinary. I think I do need to check how the cable is routed though and check my cable slack. Throttle cable doesn't seem tight, but it could be kinked or tight when I turn. I will have to tear things apart to investigate further...

I'm more than a little reluctant to cut any wires. The throttle safety switch appears to be working as it was intended and has already prevented a wreck from my sled shooting across the parking lot and crashing into somebody else's pickup or trailer... Is this throttle safety switch something Cat does since they don't sell their sleds with a tether yet it sort of acts like a tether?

M757

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Does your flipper seem tight against the throttle block? If so you need to adjust your throttle cable down by the throttle bodies to loosen it up. The flipper shouldn't be sucked up tight against the throttle block. Do not cut any wires this is an easy fix you just have to take your hood off and find the throttle cable adjustment.

Premium Features