• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 cat. Where is it?

Z
Jan 26, 2011
You can not legally re label a 2022 sled a 2023. The serial number is already stamped into the tunnel of the sled. The sleds are also built, just waiting components. I am waiting for a 22 RR 6000. Does not bother me that I will be riding a 22 as it is still brand new and 2500 less than a 23 on the average.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah, strangely, Doo seems to be leading in value right now. You could buy the SP and upgrade the shocks, and I think still end up slightly less than the cheapest Cat or Poo. Basic, non-rebuildable shocks are a negative factor because even if they work ok, you're going to need to replace or upgrade them after a few seasons. Meanwhile, a shock like the typical Walker-Evens Poo uses works ok out of the box, and gets even better with a re-valve and quality oil. Not that it's ever going to match big money shocks, but they're a great value proposition. I don't like Doo's approach of using non-rebuildable shocks, but I think Cat is missing out by not offering a value model with a basic, non-adjustable, but rebuildable shock.

They should do that at this point. Be nice if the paperwork said it was a '23 to give a bit more resale. I've heard of manufacturers doing that with unsold cars, but pretty good chance it's illegal at some point. Normally, I'd say just refuse the '22 and demand a '23, but as the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush; that seems more true than ever.
I hadn’t seen till now, the X model is from Doo really isn’t much more than the SP, and has some nice upgrades over it. Lot of sled for the money.

Cat had a basic Alpha in 2020, I think it was right at 11k. Basic, but rebuildable shocks.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I hadn’t seen till now, the X model is from Doo really isn’t much more than the SP, and has some nice upgrades over it. Lot of sled for the money.

Cat had a basic Alpha in 2020, I think it was right at 11k. Basic, but rebuildable shocks.

2023 Doo X 154/2.5 with SHOT MSRP = 15,099 plus $400 surcharge = $15,499

2023 Doo SP 154/2.5 with SHOT MSRP = 14,349 plus $400 surcharge = $14,749

For another $750, the X gives you lower seat, chopped tunnel, 34 inch ski stance, and rebuildable shocks versus the SP.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
2023 Doo X 154/2.5 with SHOT MSRP = 15,099 plus $400 surcharge = $15,499

2023 Doo SP 154/2.5 with SHOT MSRP = 14,349 plus $400 surcharge = $14,749

For another $750, the X gives you lower seat, chopped tunnel, 34 inch ski stance, and rebuildable shocks versus the SP.
In the past when the world was normal, the big difference between the X and the SP pricewise was that the X was spring check only, so you are paying all of MSRP, while the SP was an in-season model and you could wait around for one and end up getting thousands off from rebates. That made the price difference pretty significant. But now in this weird world with a complete lack of rebates and holdovers, that difference is gone and the price on the two is much closer.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

Yeah, that's the kind of sled I think Cat could still sell in quantity, assuming their costs haven't gone up so much that it'd be pushing $15k. Need to have a twin-rail option too. It's also nice for somebody who'd rather buy a different shock package, although you'd make up some of the difference selling Fox take-offs. Even at that though, shocks like basic rebuildable Walker Evans on Poos hold some value. If you tend to bend and break stuff, the better shocks will end up costing you a lot more than just the initial purchase...

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, that's the kind of sled I think Cat could still sell in quantity, assuming their costs haven't gone up so much that it'd be pushing $15k. Need to have a twin-rail option too. It's also nice for somebody who'd rather buy a different shock package, although you'd get more for Fox take-offs. Even at that though, shocks like basic rebuildable Walker Evans on Poos hold some value. If you tend to bend and break stuff, the better shocks will end up costing you a lot more than just the initial purchase...
Agreed, especially a twin rail option!

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I never understood why they went all Alpha. It is a great design but definitely has a few drawbacks. It would be great to see a '23 Cat with both twin rail and alpha options, a few more horsepower, alpha track on the twin rail and redesigned chassis that loses some pounds, fixes the intake and overly heavy plastics and takes advantage of the narrower clutch and belt drive to further narrow the chassis. None of these things would take that much engineering. Seems easily doable and would interest me in a cat again. Be interesting to see if Textron is serious about the mountain sleds or not.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I never understood why they went all Alpha. It is a great design but definitely has a few drawbacks. It would be great to see a '23 Cat with both twin rail and alpha options, a few more horsepower, alpha track on the twin rail and redesigned chassis that loses some pounds, fixes the intake and overly heavy plastics and takes advantage of the narrower clutch and belt drive to further narrow the chassis. None of these things would take that much engineering. Seems easily doable and would interest me in a cat again. Be interesting to see if Textron is serious about the mountain sleds or not.
If they did all that I'd most likely order one next year. Slightly leary of new stuff but I might say screw it and take the chance on a first year sled. Theoretically they've been testing and developing for a while but we all know how that goes. A decent warranty would ease my mind and I'll keep my Axys for backup just in case

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
After finally riding a twin rail Elevate-kitted sled sled two weekends ago I wholeheartedly agree the twin rail still should be an option. The Alpha is great in fresh, untracked snow, but I prefer the stability of the twin rail when there are old tracks and ruts at play.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
If they did all that I'd most likely order one next year. Slightly leary of new stuff but I might say screw it and take the chance on a first year sled. Theoretically they've been testing and developing for a while but we all know how that goes. A decent warranty would ease my mind and I'll keep my Axys for backup just in case
I can't say much good about their warranty. Mines been waiting for a representative for over a month. Probably wouldn't have parts even if the claim had went anywhere

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
very few people willing to drop the coin and scratch their heads through the install of the helium kit, But, Once its done, this is the potential of the upgrades you mention.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Finally showed up, no extras or apologies for showing up after the season
I feel your pain. I guess you can be, the glass is half full, and next season you have a sled with zero miles on it. Would have been an awful winter waiting for it though. Can’t believe not even an apology. That’s not right.

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
It’s every industry, every manufacturer, not just sleds.
Cat isn’t the only sled maker with undelivered orders.
Chevy, Ford, Dodge all have undelivered preordered builds as well.
Seeing it with John Deere right now, just about every thing you can think of in Agriculture.

F
Feb 3, 2017
It’s every industry, every manufacturer, not just sleds.
Cat isn’t the only sled maker with undelivered orders.
Chevy, Ford, Dodge all have undelivered preordered builds as well.
Seeing it with John Deere right now, just about every thing you can think of in Agriculture.

Deere showing off all the new revisions with globes built into the roof as a major update. Then not having globes so that isn't how they are delivered.

Going to be interesting as people pull them from the first year 8rs in our area to put in in there 22 8r units.

Luckily Dad got 3 6000 globes last spring. Idk if the dealership got anymore the rest of the season.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Cat's apology was not releasing anything new and delaying new orders in hopes it made some people feel better that they didn't get an obsolete sled. Not sure it was smart or effective.

Premium Features