• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Congrats to cat

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
As a sole cat rider amongst many many Pro's, i have to agree with apex on this.
Cats out perform Polaris.
If it were the other way, i would be on a Polaris in a heart beat.

Yo Mama

R
Feb 29, 2016
I can't get the Cat or the Doo to ride as well as the Axys. I must be a ****ty rider... Funny though how my riding buddies can't keep up with the Axys on those sleds either...

There in lies my dilemma. The Poo blew a motor earlier this year and now needs a rebuilt primary with 1200 miles on it. My buddies '15 XM has 2100 miles on it with zero issues and better belt life. New '16 Cat LE in the group too. Nice sled but I can feel a bunch of extra weight especially after a whole day. I bet it wont break as much as the Poo either but I just do not like riding either nearly as well as the Axys.

Somebody is going to have to show me that the Cat is the bomb. Looks like the same old PC chassis with a new motor. It is still way too heavy stock. Just not feeling the revolution...

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
It all depends on your riding.
I beat my Cat to death on stumps and rocks hidden in low snow, Polaris and Doo would fold.
Some guys I ride with have older sleds that don't always make it out, I end up towing them out cause poo & doo boys in the group know their tunnels and joke bumpers can't handle it.
I've yet to have a poo or doo lead somewhere I can't go as well as them.
Cat is the most reliable all around best choice.

R
Feb 29, 2016

That may have been true in the past but until the new 800cfi is on the mountain for a couple of years, I do not think you can crow about reliability any more than the Doo guys and their 850.

I steered my buddy to a holdover '16 Cat. He got a great deal. He keeps his machines for a long time. Still has the zuki motor he has been happy with for years. Awesome shock package, cool all black graphics. Yes, it was a much better choice for him. Me, I like to play pretty hard and still find the Axys leads the pack for my riding style. I really keep trying to like either the Cat or the Doo so I can step up in reliability. I will probably go back to getting a fresh Poo each season. Disposable?, looks like it. So much more fun it is worth it? I think so.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I can't get the Cat or the Doo to ride as well as the Axys. I must be a ****ty rider... Funny though how my riding buddies can't keep up with the Axys on those sleds either...

MAYBE YOU NEED BETTER RIDING PARTNERS
face-icon-small-happy.gif
face-icon-small-wink.gif

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
I love my Axys but am certainly open to something else if works better. I had no problems with my 13 Doo but I like the feel of the Polaris better so now I am riding one. I would love to get a new Cat for the day and see how it feels and what it can do. I know there are lots of comments about weight issues but it doesn't matter what you ride, when you are stuck they are all heavy and they ALL do get stuck sometimes.
Happy Sledding!!!

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
there 15 lbs heavier>... can you feel 15lbs honestly? does your sled feel lighter at the end of the day after you burned the fuel out? that's at least 50-70lbs just a question?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have never been brand loyal as long as it's made in Roseau, Minnesota.
But we do love our little baby brother over in Thief River Falls, Minnesota. :eyebrows:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
It all depends on your riding.
I beat my Cat to death on stumps and rocks hidden in low snow
, Polaris and Doo would fold.
Some guys I ride with have older sleds that don't always make it out, I end up towing them out cause poo & doo boys in the group know their tunnels and joke bumpers can't handle it.
I've yet to have a poo or doo lead somewhere I can't go as well as them.

Gotta find friends who don't ride minefields :face-icon-small-win

R
Feb 29, 2016
there 15 lbs heavier>... can you feel 15lbs honestly? does your sled feel lighter at the end of the day after you burned the fuel out? that's at least 50-70lbs just a question?

15lbs? Where did you get that number. The Cat is a solid 40-50 lbs, maybe a bit more, over the Axys. You know when you subtract 408 lbs from 458 lbs, you get a 50 lb difference.

Or you could live the lie that claims the Cat carries less snow when you ride it, which is hilarious. The Cat is substantially heavier and YES, I can feel the difference between a full sled and an empty one....

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
15lbs? Where did you get that number. The Cat is a solid 40-50 lbs, maybe a bit more, over the Axys. You know when you subtract 408 lbs from 458 lbs, you get a 50 lb difference.

Or you could live the lie that claims the Cat carries less snow when you ride it, which is hilarious. The Cat is substantially heavier and YES, I can feel the difference between a full sled and an empty one....

Compare the 3" Axys to the 3" Cat.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The 17 Axys 3 inch 163 was 533 RTR, the 17 Mountain Cat 162 3 inch was 565 RTR, looks like 32 pounds difference to me. The 165 17 Doo was 552 RTR, add the 2 gallons more fuel the Cat has and the extra quart of mix and the Cat is maybe just a hair lighter. So saying the Cat is the fat lady at the dance is no longer true. Shows just how biased reviewers are when they say you can feel the weight when they compare the sleds. The 18 Mountain Cat will be lighter yet and the Doo, if anything will gain weight, so Cat will clearly be the second heaviest.

Last edited:

Frosted Flakes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
Most corrupt state in the union
All this talk about weight really has me drooling for the fastest pig of all......Sidewinder or King Cat!

I've been die hard Cat as long as I can remember, but I rode the others and they all ride excellent. Love the carvabilty of the Axys and the float of the Doo. But nothing feels like home. Is she fat, yea, getting long in the tooth, yea, but she's never let me down.

Honestly, my next sled will be a turbo. No more dicking around with oil, just fill and pull the flipper after I turn the key.

You youngins, enjoy them 2 smokers, their all good machines, they all carve and climb. Just remember when you get old and fat, like me, you'll want more power like you want more stamina and length! :face-icon-small-win

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I notice a common theme here . . .

The heavier sleds ALWAYS want to talk about RTR weight.

If you want to know what the SLED weighs . . .weigh the freakin' SLED by itself - - - DRY!

There . . . i feel better :)

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Probably because you cant have to much fun with a dry sled. It requires a little coolant, oil, and gas to go.

If you want to sit on your sled in the garage weigh it dry. If you want to ride it weigh it wet.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I agree 100%, why do you think the 17 Doo has a 9.5 gallon gas tank, so they wouldn't have the heaviest RTR weight. Ask the Doo guys how that's working out for them. But since the manufacturers don't all give dry weights anymore this is as close as we can get.

Premium Features