• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Limited Fuel Range

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
Anyone noticing you can't use all the fuel in the tank? I've run out 3 times so far and after subtracting my 4 gal can, I'm only getting 6.5 to 7.5 gals of actual fuel use out of the tank.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Anyone noticing you can't use all the fuel in the tank? I've run out 3 times so far and after subtracting my 4 gal can, I'm only getting 6.5 to 7.5 gals of actual fuel use out of the tank.

I heard 1 guy only made it 30 miles so I carried fuel just in case but first 100 miles on sled use most gas/oil. after running xm 154 for 4 yrs it sips gas so will be curious to see after break in, but seems we have real deep snow this season so might need to carry gas just because.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Have your dealer check the fuel pick up tubes in the tank. Sounds like one could be floating.

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
My low fuel light had been on awhile, yesterday was the most miles on a tank, 53 before pouring in can.

Buddy I was riding with noticed his light was on before mine. He poured his can in when I ran out. He hasn't filled up yet to how much he's burned.

Checking the fuel pickup seems like it might be quite a chore. If it's ok the labor would be on me,

On a side note I just cracked open my 4th jug of oil. I have a little over 400 total miles,

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My low fuel light had been on awhile, yesterday was the most miles on a tank, 53 before pouring in can.

Buddy I was riding with noticed his light was on before mine. He poured his can in when I ran out. He hasn't filled up yet to how much he's burned.

Checking the fuel pickup seems like it might be quite a chore. If it's ok the labor would be on me,

On a side note I just cracked open my 4th jug of oil. I have a little over 400 total miles,

You have an awesome dealer if they charge you to check out a brand new sled you bought from them because you have a concern....

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon

Are these gallon jugs of oil? When everyone started wanting to weigh sleds RTR instead of dry I knew manufacturers would start putting on smaller tanks. Dumb idea. If a sled gets better mileage great leave the tank the same size so I can ride farther don't shrink it down to make it seem like it is lighter, if I want that I'll just put 9.5 gallons in instead of 11!

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID

Running two new Gen4 sleds, 251 & 195 miles, and have yet to consume an entire gallon of oil. You must be referring to quarts jugs not gallon jugs.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My bet is he is talking gallons. I put 33 and about 40 another part of a day and just added 3/4 gallon. Realistically could have put that on in one day but they were partial days. Betting it is based on how much full throttle in those miles. I always thought the pro did better on gas and oil if the xm is rode hard. Also remember skidoo renigged on the 40% percent farther.

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I talked to my dealer today and he's willing to check the the pick up in the tank. I'd still like to find out if anyone has added more than 7 to 7.5 gals of gas to the tank. I rode with a guy today who said he'd put 9 gals in once, but he ran out today before I did.

Yes, mine likes oil, I meant gals in the previous post. I used 2 gals in the first 200 miles, My break was done at around 220 miles.

I'm burning lots of gas so I guess lots of oil

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Skidoo has had trouble with gas tanks since the first revs which was 03.5. Haven't been able to use all the fuel for 13 or 14 years. The revs would run out going downhill and you would have to turn them uphill to start them. Get home and they would still have 2 or 3 gallons in them.

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
Pick up tubes were really bad in the XMs especially if you roll you sled hard. Not to sure if they change the design at all. If your sled is cutting out going up a fairly steep hill or in a wheelie then i would bet the pickup tube is coiled up in the front of the tank.

As far as oil. I've used about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon in 80 miles. The oil consumption should decrease once you are through break in.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Mileage up to 100 miles on the gauge is horrible. Break in. I ran almost out on my 165 at 51 miles, hard deep. Almost ran out on my 154 at 75 of easy trail. Mileage on the 154 is exactly the same as my bud's Axys SLP piped 16 after break in. The gauge on the 850 is super f-ed up. I ran 15 miles on the stupid thing flashing saying that I was empty. Mileage isn't an issue once they are off the clock. Belt life is another story. If Doo doesn't fix it, I am going to Meowtown. 250 miles and the belt is so worn that I cannot set proper deflection. 1400 miles on my original belt on my 2016 154, still good. NOT acceptable. I even broke it in super easy.

M
Nov 9, 2010
redding, ca
Mileage up to 100 miles on the gauge is horrible. Break in. I ran almost out on my 165 at 51 miles, hard deep. Almost ran out on my 154 at 75 of easy trail. Mileage on the 154 is exactly the same as my bud's Axys SLP piped 16 after break in. The gauge on the 850 is super f-ed up. I ran 15 miles on the stupid thing flashing saying that I was empty. Mileage isn't an issue once they are off the clock. Belt life is another story. If Doo doesn't fix it, I am going to Meowtown. 250 miles and the belt is so worn that I cannot set proper deflection. 1400 miles on my original belt on my 2016 154, still good. NOT acceptable. I even broke it in super easy.

I say mileage is 100% still a issue when the sled is "off the clock". I have 3 full days of riding my 850 off break in mode and mileage doesn't change....

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I've ridden 5 days now and each day I use a little over 1/2 a tank according to the gauge. When I fueled up I put around 5 gallons in so my gauge seems to be really close.

One thing we noticed, the cats I was riding with, used 6.4 gallons when I used 5 gallons. I was the one leading the group so I was breaking the trail most of the time as well. I believe this is due to the new track being lighter and getting up on the snow better and doing so more efficiently.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
I talked to my dealer today and he's willing to check the the pick up in the tank. I'd still like to find out if anyone has added more than 7 to 7.5 gals of gas to the tank. I rode with a guy today who said he'd put 9 gals in once, but he ran out today before I did.

Yes, mine likes oil, I meant gals in the previous post. I used 2 gals in the first 200 miles, My break was done at around 220 miles.

I'm burning lots of gas so I guess lots of oil

guess you have deeper snow than us I got 226 miles on my sled now and 70% break in done I have only put in maybe 3/4 gal of oil but still have not put any in after last 90 mile ride and gas consumption went down.

I
Nov 26, 2007
I've ridden 5 days now and each day I use a little over 1/2 a tank according to the gauge. When I fueled up I put around 5 gallons in so my gauge seems to be really close.

One thing we noticed, the cats I was riding with, used 6.4 gallons when I used 5 gallons. I was the one leading the group so I was breaking the trail most of the time as well. I believe this is due to the new track being lighter and getting up on the snow better and doing so more efficiently.

Out of curiosity how many miles are you going on five gallons while breaking trail?

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
guess you have deeper snow than us I got 226 miles on my sled now and 70% break in done I have only put in maybe 3/4 gal of oil but still have not put any in after last 90 mile ride and gas consumption went down.

All the the ones I ride with were broke in between 200 and 300 miles.

Premium Features