• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to do (snow ingestion?)

A
Dec 21, 2018
Noticed hood screw was missing last ride last year, fixed as soon as I noticed but no idea how long I've been running without one, some hesitations noticed same ride when hard on the gas... Daughter used sled first ride this year, then I rode for half a hour, rev limiter like sound when hitting the throttle hard (not because of actual revs). Started to run on one cylinder and broken..

Snow ingestion? Fuel issue? What's the things to look for when rebuilding? Messenger_creation_8ae3b6bc-b1dc-405d-b87d-3b24669433d9.jpegMessenger_creation_0451e944-4c44-4c90-9a7e-711772b8160e.jpegMessenger_creation_bf37382f-d490-402f-878e-bb538fb8456d.jpeg

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Have you checked your oil ratio consumption? I know several running pretty skimpy on oil.
I have personally seen a lot of variances from sled to sled on the Ctech in our same riding conditions same throttle input using a lot less oil.
If your concerns were snow ingestion, how does the intake track appear? Moisture ??
With you saying you were hearing sounds like a rev limiter-and you didn't state any codes, might it have been a lean condition causing the knock sensor to activate?

Hard to tell from your plug color as we don't know when the picture was taken in the parameters of the machine running at that particular time.
How does the other piston look?

A
Dec 21, 2018
Have you checked your oil ratio consumption? I know several running pretty skimpy on oil.
I have personally seen a lot of variances from sled to sled on the Ctech in our same riding conditions same throttle input using a lot less oil.
If your concerns were snow ingestion, how does the intake track appear? Moisture ??
With you saying you were hearing sounds like a rev limiter-and you didn't state any codes, might it have been a lean condition causing the knock sensor to activate?

Hard to tell from your plug color as we don't know when the picture was taken in the parameters of the machine running at that particular time.
How does the other piston look?
Other piston is fine
Other side of this piston is fine
Scratches on intake side and right cylinder
Plugs are from pulling it apart
No codes
Not checked oil ratio - filled up for every two tanks of gas used, never empty, but needed filling (crank usually goes with oil issues)

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I wouldn't run a ctech without a pre-filter. MTNTK was the OG of them. but daughters do have a way of tempering things too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Sure look like now, that you have squeaked it from water ingestion -oil getting washed- but how is the other side? Might give us additional information.
Here on my sled piston mag side with 1800 miles - never had to open the motor and sled is run 75% of the time WOT @ 9,500' @ 8300 RPM

Oil I have seen on the c-tec is pretty skimpy about 3-4 ounces of oil to 5 gal of fuel- ( almost 150:1) I generally run them more at the 45-50:1 ratio ( 14 OZ to 5 gal consumed) Back country riding and throttle position will be responsible of oil consumed that day-if you tune your ecm to add more oil
Ingesting moisture wipes away the thin layer of oil and it's done after that.

IMG_9440.jpg

A
Dec 21, 2018
Sure look like now, that you have squeaked it from water ingestion -oil getting washed- but how is the other side? Might give us additional information.
Here on my sled piston mag side with 1800 miles - never had to open the motor and sled is run 75% of the time WOT @ 9,500' @ 8300 RPM

Oil I have seen on the c-tec is pretty skimpy about 3-4 ounces of oil to 5 gal of fuel- ( almost 150:1) I generally run them more at the 45-50:1 ratio ( 14 OZ to 5 gal consumed) Back country riding and throttle position will be responsible of oil consumed that day-if you tune your ecm to add more oil
Ingesting moisture wipes away the thin layer of oil and it's done after that.
How do you up the oil ratio? Programming at dealer?

Other piston and other side of pictured piston looks perfect..

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
How do you up the oil ratio? Programming at dealer?

Other piston and other side of pictured piston looks perfect..

The ECU is sent in, and then oil and whatever you desire the parameters to be modified are adjusted.
Myself we add oil to the program, and just a bit of timing...for our elevation.

Before even thinking of adding oil- I would suggest you find out your ratio ( let me know if you need help with that) and see where your at, instead of just reaching....

Last edited:
A
Dec 21, 2018
The ECU is sent in, and then oil and whatever you desire the parameters to be modified are adjusted.
Myself we add oil to the program, and just a bit of timing...for our elevation.

Before even thinking of adding oil- I would suggest you find out your ratio ( let me know if you need help with that) and see where your at, instead of just reaching....
Well se.. need to get it back running first.. everything looks good so new pistons and hone cylinder and hopefully it will be good to go

Premium Features