• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lead dog vs Frankensled light

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Anybody compares these two light systems??? I have a lead dog and have been considering a Frankensled light but not sure it'll be as bright as the lead dog

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Last edited by a moderator:

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
I have had all 3. Cyclops, Lead Dog and now Frankensled.
I will never not have a Frankensled light in my arsenal. I'm totally blown away by that product. Its as bright as most OEM headlights IMO.
Cheers
RS

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Anybody compares these two light systems??? I have a lead dog and have been considering a Frankensled light but not sure it'll be as bright as the lead dog

highest lumins, biggest battery, and a spot/flood combo if your only running the helmet light, a spot is good on your helmet with sled lights.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I ran a lead dog for years and chuckled when I first saw the Frankensled light. Like that little flashlight could compare to my sled powered spotlight????? Well, one night of trying it and I will never ride without the Frankensled again. Didn't even wire a lead dog plug into my new sled. You'll be pleasantly surprised with how bright the output is and how long the battery lasts. Plus, you always have light whether your sled is running or not. I use it for recreational night riding on my modified sled with a headlight delete and my stock sled with the stock headlights. No other option for technical night riding than something mounted to your helmet so that you have light where you look. Pic below is stock sled with headlights. Left is just headlights and right is headlights and Frakensled.

attachment.php

image.jpg

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Low or High?

So looks like it's got pretty good battery, 1.5 days on low, 2.5 hours on high. Does low suffice for most riding?

I've been looking for a helmet mounted light, this seems just like the ticket and price is much better than Cyclops or Leaddog. My only concern is will battery last typical night ride of 4-6 hours or so. I'd think on the trail I'd run low, but once off trail, it would be on high.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
So looks like it's got pretty good battery, 1.5 days on low, 2.5 hours on high. Does low suffice for most riding?

I've been looking for a helmet mounted light, this seems just like the ticket and price is much better than Cyclops or Leaddog. My only concern is will battery last typical night ride of 4-6 hours or so. I'd think on the trail I'd run low, but once off trail, it would be on high.

talk with him yesterday & spare batteries are only 15$ if you want to carry spares.just have to email him if you want extra ones.

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Lead Dog 2.0

One of great things about the Lead dog is the brake light function it adds a level of safety when riding in powder. I would love to see lead dog updated to LED maybe with a small internal battery so that it a still provide light when sled is off.

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Put a headlight delete on my sled this year so thinking about ordering the frankensled light and keep it with me with a spare battery in case I have to come home in the dark... Sounds like this would be a good choice? I don't want a hard wired setup.

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
I have a 800 Lumen tactical flashlight with lithium batteries. I have it mounted
on my Bow for Bowishing Carp at night. Wow!! Lots of light and amazing bright.
So bright if a bad guy jumped ya just point it in their eyes and they are done!

I bought mine at SprtsmanGuide.com, only about $60 bucks and a gun mount
and good to go.

Good Luck

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
i like the light idea
but i would like a lower mount to the visor or on the side of the helmet, maybe two one on each side one light on wide beam the other on narrow
dose anyone know of any other mounts that would work with the light. i just dont like the mount, i will knock that off first ride coming home in the trees for sure

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
it comes with the high mount but you can just get a low mount about 2 inches lower,it can be mounted too the side just like a go pro no prob.dont think you would need 2 of these its so bright i will post some pics.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
A guy on HCS made a helmet light with a 3d printer. Maybe he can make more? He said he used a 35w halogen light. It'd be cool with a led light IMHO.
helmet_light.jpg

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
picture of low mount & a picture of the light in my yard thats about 100 yards
i have never seen a flashlight this bright & its very light.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i may pick up this light for cycling......i ride my mountain bike to work, its along the river and i go thru bush trails and such. Its pitch black in the morning now and its black by the time i get home.

i have this light............http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/urban/urban-500-blue-ribbon

it wont last my morning and afternoon commute together. i have to charge it during the day then at night.

I think ill pick up this frankensled light.

is this the same one? the TZ20 tactical light? http://catalogs.recreationsupply.co/snow-2015/#112/z

Premium Features