• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Some 2013 info to wet the tongue..

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Did a test a few years ago on a 700 rmk engine ran a bulkhead I had laying around. We mounted the dyno to a drive shaft that I modified and ran the stock 700 engine with the clutches locked at 1:1 ratio and first through a chaincase and next through a gates polychain gt belt syetm that I designed. The engine by itself on the dyno made 115 hp (nice and rich to keep repetability). The chaincase made 102 hp and the belt system made 105 ( approx 3% gain). The belt was only 1 1/2 wide on that one. I ran it for part of the season but there was breaking issues that really were not the belts falt so I went back to the chain.

If I recall correctly, RMI and CMX both said the efficiency was somewhere about 3% better or just slightly higher than that, with their systems over stock chaincases.

I'm going to go dig around and see if I can get info from from their websites.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
CMX: Efficiency #s are not given.
http://www.crazymtn.com/sifiso/pages/cmxds.html

CMXDS_2003.jpg

CMXDS
In our never ending quest to seek out, lighter, better, faster and of course more horsepower; we have made yet another significant improvement to our already awesome CRAZY MOUNTAIN XTREME DRIVE SYSTEM (CMXDS). We now will offer all belt drive systems (standard equipment on CMX sleds) with a new belt exclusive to CMX from Gates, that is 40% stronger than the belts that we have used up until now.
Crazy Mountain Motorsports Inc. was the first to offer a belt drive system as standard equipment on a snowmobile as well as in kit form, for installation on Polaris, Arctic Cat, Ski-Doo and Yamaha as an upgrade to the old heavy chain case drive system. The XDS is 10 to 12 lbs lighter than a typical chain case system and significantly lighter than the direct drive systems that are on the market. For the ultimate in power transfer, the obvious choice is the CMXDS. Suggested retail $2350.00 Std. 8.5” $2400.00 Longer 10.5”.
Advantages
* XDS is 10-12 pounds lighter than conventional drive systems
* XDS is more efficient at transferring horsepower to the track.
("Seat-of-the-pants noticeable!")
* XDS is longer than conventional drive systems. While jack shaft stays in stock location (optional) track shaft is rolled down and back. Our standard center to center distance is 8.5” and we have a new kit that will be just under 10.5”
Improves the attack angle and creates more clearance from tunnel to bulkhead area.
* The 36mm Gates Poly Chain® W/Carbon Fiber Cords belt will outlast most chains
* Braking is improved with a four piston hydraulic caliper. (new design)
* The brake system acts on the lower (track) drive shaft.

CMXds Spec's
* 36mm Gates Poly Chain® GT® belt
(40% stronger).
* 2.30, 2.23, 2.14, 2.07, 2.00, 1.93, and 1.86 drive ratios available.
* Hard Anodized Aluminum Sprockets.
* Jack Shaft is Gun Drilled Chrome Molly.
* Track Shaft is 7075 T-6 Aluminum.
* Included in Kit: Jackshaft, Trackshaft, Templates to Locate Drive System, Titanium Bolts, Complete Brake System, All Bearings and Hardware and Installation Instructions. (Drivers Optional)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
(disclaimer, Ron has not updated his page in a LONG time. LOL)

RMI: Claims 3% efficiency

http://www.radicalmachines.com/?page_id=3

RMI Drive

rmiCutOut.jpg

With over 200 drives in sleds around the world the RMI Drive continues turning heads. Handling around 300 HP, reducing weight by 10 <96> 12.5 lbs, and adding a 3% performance gain the RMI Drive has proven itself to be a must have in top of the line sleds across the nation.

RMI Drive General Information:
Price: $2499
Installation: Not included
Ratio: 2.26:1 and 2.0:1 (10 tooth drivers required)
(Other ratios being developed)
Availability: Haydays 2006
Weight: 9 1/2 lbs.

Billet Gear Case
  1. Complete Gearbox
  2. Adapter plates for both sides (Billet CNC Machined)
  3. Drive Shaft and bearings
  4. 10 tooth Drivers
  5. Brake disc and hub
  6. Brake caliper
  7. Universal mounting template
  8. Installation Template
Bulkhead and tunnel modifications Required Reduces weight by 10 - 12 1/2 lbs.
To Order: Call RMI at 815-868-2409 or
Email us at: rmidrive@radicalmachines.com
The RMI Drive Install 1
The RMI Drive Install 2

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
http://www.gates.com/facts/documents/Gf000199.pdf

Manufacturers of Hy-Vo chain claim speed capability in excess of 7000 feet per minute. Hy-Vo chain is more
efficient than silent chain, with manufacturers claiming efficiencies of around 99.7%.

Efficiancy claims are the % of what's left.....so if they claim a 3% gain, it is likely 3% of the remaining 0.3%.

Reduction in rotating weight, especially the chain itself will be nice since that's the farthest from center of rotation....anything that drops weight is good!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The amount of ROTATING mass change will probably be just the diff in chain weight and gears...that would be no where near 10 lbs.

The overall weight would change though... case, cover, oil, steel chain, sprockets can be aluminum etc.

The jackshaft is already hollow and the driveshaft is already pretty darn light.

If this IS a reality.. I hope they mount the brake on the driveshaft!

That will make a whole new product line for SLP or Team etc... making gearing for this... also that would be limited by the belt lengths avail

We'll see for sure soon!.... this could all be just some proto-only speculation.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm wondering how the belt drive will hold up to jumping the sled, especially in slush. I was able to bust 4 teeth off of my smaller gear last spring. Eventually led to a tow out because there was too much damage. Anytime the track leaves the ground and comes back under power is really hard on it (breaking in the air is even worse). I suppose an extra belt would be good insurance (and still less weight than the chain drive).

A
Nov 26, 2007
If I recall correctly, RMI and CMX both said the efficiency was somewhere about 3% better or just slightly higher than that, with their systems over stock chaincases.

I'm going to go dig around and see if I can get info from from their websites.

The chain that we used in the chaincase was a hyvo chain so no in real world testing they are not 99.6% effecient. Remeber therere is a chain tensioner in there also that causes drag and effeciancy lose.

A

ak ryda

Nov 26, 2007
If those rumors come to fruition (Chad is a stand up guy) and the pro comes in lighter and with more power than the last two years, I wont be able to get my $$$ down for a snowcheck fast enough. Will be a stupid easy choice, then the harder choice will be if I keep my 2010 M8 SP as a spare / back up / loaner, or sell it.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
After seeing the Harley primary and Secondary belts take some serious abuse... I'm not that worried about it...

UNLESS...

They do not have the brake mounted to the driveshaft... then I'd be a bit worried about the design AND Liability management on the part of Polaris Industries (wink!)

With all the engineering expertise in the Victory line at Polaris' disposal. ... they have the knowledge and vendor support for the belt design!

The victory has a belt in the secondary ...I'm sure that tech will transfer

IF they are going to a belt drive!!

11VGS.gif

Last edited:
T

The_PooDragon

Nov 24, 2011
Grande Prairie
I KNOW the 2013s have a belt drive, I rode one last weekend.

It was a HUGE difference in the throttle response over the 12s, which is why (at the time) I figured it was some clutching improvements - when in reality it was a belt drive.

After riding the 2013, three things stood out - it felt very powerful as compared to a 2012/12, it felt very responsive (throttle wise), and it felt very nimble (light).

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I KNOW the 2013s have a belt drive, I rode one last weekend.

It was a HUGE difference in the throttle response over the 12s, which is why (at the time) I figured it was some clutching improvements - when in reality it was a belt drive.

After riding the 2013, three things stood out - it felt very powerful as compared to a 2012/12, it felt very responsive (throttle wise), and it felt very nimble (light).

Like a 12 with lower gearing and some clutch work :face-icon-small-hap

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i agree with MH the belts last
and as to reliability and testing what do you think their doing right now:face-icon-small-win

J

Jman3

Mar 28, 2011
Poop dragon speaks the truth. There was a 13' ripping around kakwa last fri/sat. Grey and black. Belt drive yes turbo no.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
No ****ghey Doo rider - like a 2013 Pro. With (as Jman3 stated) grey panels, and a drive belt.

I could never own a Ski-doo, I don't want my money going into the pockets of french *****.

Whoa, settle down man, he isn't talking about a Doo. Did you miss the post he made that stated he has been working on clutching for us Pro guys? He was saying your 2013 report sounds like his results (with the 2011/12 Pro) that he has found by gearing down and working his clutching magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Nov 28, 2007
or
Maybe I am just being cautious...But would anyone else have some serious reservations about getting a sled with a brand new drive system in it? (If it is indeed true) Don't get me wrong, I think the pro is a great sled, but I would probably feel a little better about one that had a solid year of consumer use under it's belt. Pardon the pun.:face-icon-small-ton I know CMX does them, but that is basically a hand built 30,000 dollar snowmobile. I think I remember a thread a while back asking about the belt drive and there were a few people who chimed in and said they didn't really think they got the most bang for their buck when they got the kit from cmx. Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens next year. I think even little tweaks to this chassis can only make it better.

I can see why they didn't think they were getting the bang for the buck. $2500!!! seems in snowmobiling you can take a set up that should be less than$1000 and put some ridiculous price on it and every guy will be standing in line to spend thier cash:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features